movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
349 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
400 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

My wife is so excited, this process (so far) has really been a hoot. This site and its members have a lot to do with that.
Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Removing glass from window

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 12/27/2008

I had my rough inspection done and I have a large fixed-glass window next to my soaking tub in my master bedroom. The inspector says it needs to be tempered glass. So I called the glass company to see about changing the glass to tempered. The cost of the glass is pretty reasonable, but the fee to have one of their guys come out and remove the glass and then bring back the new glass is pretty expensive.

The guy at the glass place says Andersen windows are very easy to take apart and remove the glass; but I've never done it. It looks like there are some screws in the frame alongside the glass and I assume you just remove these to take off the frame and then the pane of glass will just slide out. If anyone has ever done anything like this - any tips would be appreciated. I have looked on the Internet but haven't found too much info so far.
Reply...

Michael's Forum Posts: 22
Journal Entries: 2
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Image from Michael's blog

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 12/28/2008

Faye,

I don't know from your post the exact size of your window, but there are some very important safety issues to be considered.

Number one is your inexperience in the handling of large pieces of glass. This requires the use of suction cups w/handles and some knowledge of how the glass itself is going to react to different stimuli such as binding, pinching, etc.

The last thing you want is a large pane of glass breaking into two or three large jagged pieces while you are holding it 6 inches from your body. This could be fatal in extreme cases.

Another thing working against you is the awkward position you will undoubtedly have to be in to get at the glass. This will most likely require two people, putting them both at risk.

While installing a fully-framed window is a fairly simple and relatively safe job, the handling of large, unframed glass is very dangerous and not to be taken lightly.

I know it looks like an easy job (just a few screws, right?) but, I think this is one area where you would probably be best served by paying the professional to do what he knows best.

Mike

Reply...

2006, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Michael's Forum Posts: 181
Interview Answers: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael in Cave Creek, AZ on 12/28/2008

I would not let anyone frighten me into not doing this project.

I have done quite a few glass replacements on the old-fashioned wooden casement windows, where the glass is held in with push points and glazing putty.  The glass panes on the windows I have done are probably one fourth the size of your master tub window. If you can build your own house and are doing a lot of the tradework yourself, this seems like one of those things you just get done. 

I would get two suction cups, a couple pairs of gloves, safety glasses and go for it.

Reply...

Michael's Forum Posts: 22
Journal Entries: 2
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Image from Michael's blog

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 12/28/2008

Okay, my intention was not to scare anyone off of performing any work on their house.

I was merely pointing out the possible dangers involved. Replacing glass in a 2'x2' window is vastly different than replacing a 60'' piece of  untempered glass. I would certainly not recommend having a stranger, whose skill and comfort level I'm not sure of, take on such a risk. Besides the danger of getting injured, there is also the danger of chipping or cracking the new glass. Larger glass weighs more, and the awkwardness of climbing into the tub while carrying the glass increases the likelihood of bumping a corner or edge.

Why not just tape it up real well when you remove it? The tempered glass is not anywhere near as dangerous as the old glass, but is still subject to edge chipping.

All of that being said, I too would probably attempt the replacement myself. At least the first time.:)

At any rate, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Mike

Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 12/29/2008

I have a very good friend who used to own a glass company, and so I called him for advice (he lives 40 minutes away). He said it would be simple and since we hadn't seen each other in awhile - he is going to come over and take it out for us. He will drop it off at the glass shop he used to own and then bring it back and put it back in. It's nice to have lots of friends!

Of course, I'm sure he remembers that we helped put a new porch on his house - lol. He isn't bringing the same piece back but they are using it as a template for the tempered piece he will bring back. The biggest expense was going to be having a guy come out to remove and replace the glass so this will save me $250 - $400. Things always seem to have a way of working themselves out.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.