movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I thank Mark for his book and this website. It is a great source of support and information.
Bruce in Union, WA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Realistic timing for completing this build

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Cynthia's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Cynthia in Denver, CO on 7/16/2005

We are owner building in Denver, CO.  We broke ground 8 and a half months ago and don't yet have insulation or sheet rock.  We just got our plumbing, mechanical, framing and electrical rough in inspections and will begin insulation this coming week.  My husband is working on this project full time and we are NOT doing work ourselves, but are having subs do almost everything.  My husband, a wonderful architect, but completely unrealistic time estimator, thinks we are about two months from being able to move in.  Based on my review of various projects on this website, it appears that insulation and sheet rock typically go in about halfway through the building process, in which case we are nowhere near two months from completion.  I am trying to make some realistic decisions about the financing and plans for where we are going to live until we can move into our home.  Can I get some feedback about how long it typically took others to get from insulation to certificate of occupancy.  Thanks much!
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 7/16/2005

PM me if you need more details, but I can give you this much -

I had lots of delays during the exterior/dry in on my house (Berthoud, Colorado) because of all the rain we got last year (unusual for Colorado).

I did some work, but hired most stuff out.  I did most of my finish work (wood floors, paint, trim, tile, cleaning).

I pretty much started digging/blasting April 2004.  January 1, 2005, I had my four way and framing inspections completed and was ready for sheet rock.

It took me 3.5 months to go from framing completed, ready for sheet rock, to move in.  Site finished wood floors.

It could definitely be done faster than I did it, especially because I was doing it all myself.

What seems to be the factors slowing things down?  Getting subs to show up?  Getting them to finish on time?  (I had problems with this).  Write liquidated damages into your contracts, that usually helps.

Reply...

Ray's Forum Posts: 20

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ray in Southampton, NY on 11/30/2005

What's liquidated damage?
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 11/30/2005

You need to get all of these in writing, and some contracts have these built in... If your subs actually read the contracts, they might balk - Liquidated damages and penalties are usually reserved for big commercial jobs, very large residences, etc.  It may be tough to enforce them in your state, I'm not a lawyer...

Essentially, you can write contracts such that A) The sub pays a pre-determined penalty for every day they are late, excluding some conditions (that should be listed in the contract) and/or B) the sub pays for extra costs (damages) associated with their delay of the project. 

I did not write these into my contracts, but when my electrician didn't get electrical trim done (the only thing we needed for CO and closing our permanent financing) I pushed on him and he credited me the half cost of our rate lock extension... It was probably the best I could do since I didn't get anything in writing WRT these kind of damages.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.