545 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
gypsyhillfarm East Petersburg , PA
1,167 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Our-log-home Thomaston, GA
1,057 Visits | 2 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

I've already found tons of useful information on this site, and plan to continue to excavate here!
Cheryl in Gardner, KS

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Ral: Seeking Subs and Bids

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Pete's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Pete in Raleigh, NC on 3/22/2007

I'm in the late stages of planning. Currently I'm looking for subs w/references. So I can get bids and build my budget. I'm in Raleigh and hope to start construction in May. If anyone has references for subs please let me know.

Currently I'm looking for someone who does excavation and foundation work.

Thanks,

~Huck

Reply...

Thomas's Forum Posts: 6
Interview Answers: 68

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Thomas in Greensboro, NC on 3/20/2008

Hello Huck,

I read your post and wondered if you ever got started in May 07 as planned.  My wife and I are in the early planning stages and so far every general contractor we know says we are making a big mistake because we don't "know" the subs etc., etc... How are you doing?  Hope I hear from you. 

Tom in Greensboro

Reply...

John's Forum Posts: 5
Interview Answers: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Durham, NC on 6/22/2008

Hi Huck,

I may be a little late responding to you, as I don't know if you have started your excavation or not.  For excavation, try Jason Davis Grading. He is reasonable in price (may not be the cheapest but he does good work and is honest). Quality is more important than always getting the best price.  You can get ripped off in site work fast, so be very careful. Don't work on a handshake but have it written down in a contract.

John

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Pete in Raleigh, NC on 6/24/2008

Hello John,

Thanks for the input. I've had difficulty finding someone who will do all of the excavation work and the concrete work. I'd find some guys that do just "flat concrete" work. Then I'd find a guy who would do just excavation and footings. I finally found a guy who will do the required partial demo, the excavation, and all the concrete work.

I took on gutting a room in the house that is going to remain intact. Its taken longer than expected, approx four months longer. It's coming along well and I'd say I'm 80% done. Renovation is much more difficult than straight from scratch building, I'm finding.

Anyways, I'll keep your information in mind. Does Jason Davis do excavation, demo, poured concrete etc? The slab for the driveway and garage is approx 7' below grade, so it's kinda substantial work in scope, not a typical flat driveway and garage.

Thanks,
~Huck

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Pete in Raleigh, NC on 6/24/2008

Hello Tom,

Sorry for the late reply. In short, I did not start the major project yet. I've got fairly detailed architectural drawings and lots of planning done. In the meantime, I thought I'd do a whole room renovation to get a feel for the work and scope. I gutted my front room down to the hardwoods and wall studs.  I thought after this I'd decide for sure about the renovation. I've also got a tight budget to adhere to as well. I think I'm still for the major renovation/addition but need to crunch more numbers for the budget.

However, in the meantime my wife and father both developed cancer and so that has taken precedence. I'm hoping to finish the room in approx 1-2 more months and then do final evaluation on the major house/addition/renovation thereafter. I hope I can pull it off. I've put a lot of time and money into it thus far, in planning at least.

Cheers,
~Huck

Reply...

John's Forum Posts: 5
Interview Answers: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Durham, NC on 6/25/2008

Hi Huck,

7’ below grade is a little unusual for a driveway and garage slab.  Jason has the equipment to do the work, but it sounds like this could be an expensive job.

Since the driveway is so deep, does it require retaining walls on the embankments or is the slope such that it is just graded away from the driveway?  If you need retaining walls, you should get them engineered.  Retaining walls can be dangerous too, so be sure to have someone who knows what they are doing and with insurance. You may need a drain at the base of the driveway too to pull the water away from the garage. Since I haven’t seen the site or plans, I’m just guessing of course.

Good luck with your project. 

John

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.