movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
353 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I love your site so much!!! Thank you! I love to see more and more people join! I tell everyone about this site when they ask me how "I" "know" so much about construction - I really don't, but I remember what I have picked up from the forums, and it has made me feel more confident and seem like I know what I am doing. I save so much $$$$ with this knowledge. I am now on my second owner-builder project. Muchas gracias. We should try this in the Latin Market!!! I'll translate! Have an amazing day! You have created something awesome!!
Claudia Chavira

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Radon

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Kari's Forum Posts: 61
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kari in Colbert, WA on 4/8/2005

I have a few questions to those who have installed Radon active or passive systems in a crawl space foundation.  What did you do and why?  Is your crawl space vented or non vented?  Where did you get your supplies or did you use a Radon company to install all this?  How much was it?  Are you in a high Radon area?  What is the IRC code to Radon in new construction? Anyone have their well tested for Radon? I will be doing more research on this but wanted to hear from anyone who has had these things done.  Thanks!
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 4/8/2005

We don't do crawlspaces here very often, but here is what we did...

We have a full basement, with a concrete slab.  Colorado is a very high radon area, and all new construction in most counties requires a test, but our lot didn't...

We formed our footings using the form-a-drain product, with an inlet set to the high side as directed by certeeneed for radon mitigation.  This inlet is then piped through a T and into a vent stack that runs through the house and out of the roof for passive radon mitigation.  For active, you can cut this stack in the attic and insert a powered fan; the passive mode uses the heat on the pipe from inside the house to create a thermal convection and draw air out of the pipe.

The area under the slab was filled with porous pea gravel, covered with poly, and then covered with insul-tarp before pouring concrete.

We also have an HRV which cycles fresh air into the house. 

Reply...

Kari's Forum Posts: 61
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kari in Colbert, WA on 4/8/2005

Thanks, that is what I gathered people do around here too, the only difference being we would have a perforated pipe horizontal in the gravel bed then a T pipe to the vent stack, and at least a six mil. polyethylene sealing the floor and upwards to the sides with the pipe going up throughout the house and venting out our roof - we just would not have the concrete slab.  I want to make our crawl space a conditioned insulated one so I wonder since it will not be vented other than the radon pipe if I need to do more for Radon mitigation - like make it an active system with a fan right off the bat.  I am going to call some Radon Companies this afternoon.  Thanks for the reply.  How is your house coming along?  Is it done nearly?  I haven't seen any new pictures on you site - you wouldn't be busy would you...LOL.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.