movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

New member here. Enjoying reading all of the invaluable posts.
Peter in Jupiter, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Pouring ICFs with Geopolymer

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2008, 2009 Merit Award Winner

Grant's Forum Posts: 363
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 164

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 10/27/2009

It appears I may be blessed with a VERY unique opportunity.  There is a new class of cementitious materials called geopolymers in the R&D phase at universities, and I may have the opportunity to be one of the first people in the world to use this material in a residential construction project.

Geopolymers have many advantages over Portland cement:

1. higher corrosion resistance

2. higher strength 

3. 90% less embodied CO2

4. Divert large volumes of fly-ash waste from landfills.

I serve on the Industry Advisory Board of Louisiana Tech University's Trenchless Technology Center, have peer-reviewed several research projects, mentored grad students, hired two graduates from their program, and done multiple research projects with them.  Over the last couple of years, Dr. Erez Allouche has been working on developing geopolymer materials for high corrosion resistance in water and sewer applications.  Over a year ago, I pointed out the very large commercial potential for his geopolymer materials in the green building sector, particularly for use with ICF construction.  He has since applied for and received research grant money from the DOE, along with other sources, to further develop these materials.

Hopefully, by next spring, the researchers will be ready for field trials, and I have volunteered my property for the experimental pouring of the very first geopolymer ICF wall as a retaining wall.  If the field trials go well, the wall can be incorporated into a future guest house structure.  If not, I'll landscape around it.  I plan on using the retaining wall in my efforts to get formal code approval in the state of Alabama, as needed. 

Ultimately, it is my hope to build my "dream home" with geopolymer ICF!  The researchers are characterizing the properties of over 40 fly-ash sources from around North America in preparations for establishing volume production capabilities for the future geopolymer industry.  One fly-ash source participating in the research is within 100 miles of my future home site, and the researchers have agreed to prioritize the characterization of their materials in preparation for the field trials with me next year. 

The coal-fired power industry is happily supporting the effort, because it will GREATLY reduce their landfilling expenses for fly ash.  The use of geopolymers may potentially also provide carbon offset credits for the power industry.

Between the water and wastewater sector and the green building sector, I believe we can establish sufficient economies of scale to ultimately bring the cost of geopolymers below the cost of Portland cement, providing a VERY major "green" change to the construction materials world.  I'm kind of excited to have the potential to be a guinea pig in such efforts to help "change the world."

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

Here is the article on the geopolymer research that was spotlighted on greenbuildingtalk.com 

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

It is probably worth noting that this is a geopolymer "concrete" and there appears to be no reason whatsoever why it won't comply with existing specifications and building codes.  The research professor has assured me that there is no difficulty complying with the HUD specification language for concretes used in ICF walls.

2.2.1 Concrete Mix

Ready-mixed concrete for ICF walls shall meet the requirements of ASTM C 94

13]. Maximum slump shall not be greater than 6 inches (152 mm) as determined in accordance with ASTM C 143

[11]. Maximum aggregate size shall not be larger than 3/4 inch (19 mm).

Exception: Maximum slump requirements may be exceeded for approved concrete mixtures resistant to segregation, meeting the concrete compressive strength requirements, and in accordance with the ICF manufacturer

Reply...

Jere's Forum Posts: 45
Journal Entries: 6
Interview Answers: 137

Private Message

Image from Jere's blog

Login to Vote

By Jere in Ray Twp., MI on 10/28/2009

That is a great opportunity Grant... congrats! I can't wait to hear the results on this product!

Reply...

Michael's Forum Posts: 9
Journal Entries: 8
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael in Port Neches, TX on 10/31/2009

Grant,

Keep me posted on this interesting topic.  My biggest concern would be how to direct the raw materials to a local concrete company where it could be incorporated into my project pour.  My wife and I plan to erect our ICF foundation, walls, roof and sunken courtyard in the next 24-30 months.

Reply...

RogerC's Forum Posts: 53
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By RogerC in Phoenix, AZ on 10/31/2009

Grant,

Before I saw your post here, I had already read the Greenbuildingtalk article and had made a note to follow-up with LTU to see if I could get in the loop for any publications that come out of their Energy Systems Conference in November.  Please do keep us posted.

This sounds very promising and is a great opportunity for you to contribute, indeed.  If your efforts ever require trials in extreme climates...  I just happen to have a 1.25-acre test lab in one of the hottest inhabitable geographic regions in the country.  Keep me in mind...

Reply...

James's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James on 2/11/2020

Hi there - I am an ICF installer in Olympia, WA and I am curious to know what happened with your project.

Did you do the geopolymer ICF pour? 

Where did you source the geopolymer material?

How did it go?

Thanks!

James O'Keeffe
Oldgrowth Construction
253-376-0199

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.