movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I just discovered the ownerbuilderbook website this morning - excellent source of info.
Jeff in Tucson, AZ

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Post Drywall Cleanup

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Ric's Forum Posts: 65
Interview Answers: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 7/12/2009

I have a question:

My drywaller just finished.

Beautiful job on the drywall, and texture is exactly what I was looking for. I got a very good price, and excellent workmanship. In fact, my neighbor (who is a contractor) came over today and saw the job he did, and wanted his name & number.

However... the floors are a mess. He cleaned to "industry standard". and I really can't complain. But... I want to re-prime over the texture, and start painting, and the dust is horrible in there.

What do others here do to get the dust out?

We swept all day today, and got piles of it out. But you can go right back over the same floor, and get even more. Do you just keep sweeping until it's clean?

I tried a Shop-Vac, and thought it was working, but then once the filter got full, it just started blowing dust back into the room (not good, it was picking it up off the floor, and blowing all over the walls!). I tried stopping at intervals and cleaning out the filter, but it just got to be too much.

There is also a fair amount of the texture overspray, and primer, and taping mud all over the floors. They're literally white. Do I try to scrape it off, or just shrug it off, and consider the floors better sealed?

What have some of you done to clean this mess up?

Thanks!

-Ric

Reply...

Editor

Mark's Forum Posts: 153
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Provo, UT on 7/13/2009

Ric:

I used a Shop-Vac and cleaned the filter every 10 or 15 minutes. It has a tendency to throw dust around, and to kick up other dust your haven't gotten to yet. I dreamed of a shop vac with a long extension hose on the exhaust that I could vent out the leeward side of the house. (Now they have Shop-Vacs with HEPA filters.)

After vacuuming, it was a bucket and a string mop with frequent water changes. It's serious work.

Mark

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 7/13/2009

Put a drywall filter on your Shop-Vac; they are basically paper bags that go inside. Makes cleaning the shop vac nice and easy as the drywall is contained. It also protects the motor, as drywall dust burns these up pretty quickly.

Next time, after you have the floors in and before the interior walls, staple down a layer of roofing felt. Don't worry about working on top of it, it will hold up to foot traffic. After the sheetrockers leave, cut the roofing felt at the base plates and roll up. Voila, your subfloors look like brand new.

As to sheetrock dust on the walls, we had some luck with Swiffer floor wipes once the bulk of the dust was gone.

Reply...

Ric's Forum Posts: 65
Interview Answers: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 7/13/2009

Thanks guys!

That's basically what I was expecting to hear. There just is no "easy" way around this. Should I ever build another house, I'll cover the floors next time.

My Shop-Vac is taking a beating on this. I put a bag in it, and then put a filter on it. I was doing pretty good until the bag sprung a leak, and it would clog the filter every five minutes. So when I start back in, I'm going to start with a fresh bag, and reinforce the area around the intake where it always breaks open. That should help.

Out of curiosity, I started sweeping an area that the wife swept yesterday, and I came up with a pile of dust from just a small area. I have a feeling it's going to be: Vacuum, sweep, vacuum, sweep, and on until I get all that dust up.

Live and learn on this one! Whudda mess! I've never seen so much dust!

Reply...

Bret's Forum Posts: 49
Interview Answers: 41

Private Message

Bret's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bret in Rhome, TX on 7/14/2009

Ric, if it is a lot of mud on the floor, the stores sell a drywall scraper, which is basically a mud knife on a pole the size of a small push broom. we just poured water from a bucket on a 10-foot section, let it set a few minutes, work the area with the scraper, then used a mop and shop vac to pick it up. We only swept with regular broom once before doing the above and were able to get 90+ percent up, but then again, I'm on cement slab so it may not work as well if you are on wood subfloor.
Bret

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.