movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Thank you all for your advice, again it's encouraging that someone else has had some experiences and is willing to take the time to help.
Frank and Donna in Orlando, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

PolyPavement

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2008 Merit Award Winner

Pat's Forum Posts: 212
Journal Entries: 22
Interview Answers: 61

Private Message

Image from Pat's blog

Login to Vote

By Pat in Arnold, CA on 8/11/2008

Has anyone used PolyPavement? It's a liquid soil solidifier that can be used on soil, but also on road base to make a solid surface tougher than asphalt. I'm looking for alternatives to asphalt since prices are so high. We have about 11,000 s.f. to cover and this PolyPavement would save us a lot of money.

polypavement.com

Reply...

2008, 2009 Merit Award Winner

Grant's Forum Posts: 363
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 164

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 8/11/2008

I haven't used it, but I had the chance a few years ago to review the engineering data for a soil solidifier (probably this one) that the City of Atlanta was considering for use with their unpaved roads to reduce dust and maintenance. I have to say I was quite impressed with the performance data I reviewed and so were the engineering staff. 

I hadn't thought of this, but if I can have affordable local access to this technology where I live I'd love to use it on the trail system through my landscaped acreage. Thanks for bringing it up...

Regards,

Grant

Reply...

2006, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Michael's Forum Posts: 181
Interview Answers: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael in Cave Creek, AZ on 8/11/2008

Soil stabilization products of this type work by adding cohesive strength to the native materials or crushed granite. They are used fairly extensively on our multi-use paths in the Phoenix and Scottsdale areas. They effectively control dust and limit erosion caused by runoff.

However, I am not convinced that these products cost any less to install than a driveway section of AC pavement. Crushed granite dumped out of the back of a truck costs about $35 per ton. Spreading it in a 4" well-graded course can add significant cost. These stabilizers are expensive. The last bucket I bought was $110 for five gallons. I tried it on a small area. The particular product I chose needed 20-to-1 dilution. Mixing it in can be done with rakes or a rototiller. Application is best done with a water wagon trailer. This liquid will make a mess of your equipment and is hard to clean up.

On a positive note, my installation has kept the dust down for 6 months so far.

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 8/11/2008

I'm getting the feeling this technology becomes more cost-effective with very high volumes (like miles of dirt roadways). Atlanta was looking at using it in bulk for a major high-volume program.

Sounds like I can rule it out for my hiking trails...

Regards,

Grant

Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 66

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Beverly Beach, FL on 8/13/2008

Google the words "soil cement".

Popular Mechanics had an article about soil cement a few years ago. It might be useful for trails or a temporary driveway. Depending on the nature of your soil, you may not need too much Portland cement and installation is easy.

Jim

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 8/13/2008

Thanks for the info...  I Googled "soil cement" as you suggested. It appears that the tensile strength is REALLY low, and that it should therefore be very prone to cracking. As I am going to be putting trails through a densely wooded area with lots of roots, I don't know that it will hold up sufficiently. Tree roots break concrete sidewalks, and this stuff will have effectively no resistance to such forces as compared to concrete. I was hoping that it would be a little more "pliable."  Not the case with standard "soil cement."

This answered an important question. Thanks.

Regards,

Grant

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 8/13/2008

Note: While "soil cement" may not be the right technology for my woodland trails, it does have some interesting prospective uses. It is very labor intensive, but very low-cost on the material side... Some on this forum have suggested they have more time than money...

Here is a good article from Mother Earth News on how to use inexpensive "soil cement" to make your own soil cement bricks with which you can build very durable structures.

motherearthnews.com/You-Can-Build-With-Soil-Cement-Blocks.aspx

Reply...

2008 Merit Award Winner

Pat's Forum Posts: 212
Journal Entries: 22
Interview Answers: 61

Private Message

Image from Pat's blog

Login to Vote

By Pat in Arnold, CA on 8/19/2008

Also, remember that "soil cement" is a bit different from PolyPavement. I did a lot of research on the "soil cements", and they are very temporary and I wouldn't recommend them for a driveway. PolyPavement, however, is good for around 10 years and is as hard as asphalt. Don't confuse other "soil cements" with PolyPavement.
Reply...

Gardenmom's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Gardenmom on 6/22/2016

I'm posting on here because I want to save others the time, money and aggravation that I experienced. PolyPavement is a product that is supposed to turn native soil into a concrete-like surface. It's a great idea, in theory - eco-friendly, relatively affordable, etc.

But, the product is very difficult to use and even worse, the customer service is horrible beyond belief! Ron, the owner, is so rude and condescending, he doesn't listen to concerns and has even given incorrect advice. He assured me that a method of application would work for what I wanted and then when it didn't work refused to accept that he'd directly given me that advice. He refused to refund any of my money. He essentially called me a liar. I spent $1K on this product and it was a complete and total waste!! IF the product is mixed with soil and then compacted, it has potential, but surface applied to compacted soil will do nothing but flake off.

Here's what I found out for those wanting to solidify their soil (I haven't tried yet, though - will update when I do) - try mixing one gallon Elmer's glue with five gallons of water and two cups of white vinegar. A website for BMX enthusiasts recommended using this instead of PolyPavement and it got rave reviews. For a minor fraction of the cost of this product, it's worth a try. Whatever you do, though - DON'T BUY POLYPAVEMENT!! There are a few other soil stabilizer companies out there that might deserve your business, if you don't want to try making your own. But Ron is rude and nasty and when problems arise he'll just blame you. Don't give him your business. 

Reply...

Andrew's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Andrew on 12/20/2017

I am curious where I can find more information on this Elmers glue water mixture. I am also curious if your opinion on the Polypavement company as altered. I am working on binding builders sand together to make large format scupltures. Thank you.

~Drew

Reply...

jps's Forum Posts: 12

Private Message

My Construction Website

jps's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By jps in Indianapolis, AL on 6/7/2018

It's really good to know about it.
Reply...

Jackson's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jackson in Jackson, AL on 3/5/2020

An update on the PolyPavement. It has been a week and I have concerns. It does not seem to have dried out. It is supposed to dry, then take about a month to cure. Not a whole lot different from many products. We've have enough dry, warm, sunny days, but we've also had a lot of rain.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.