movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Absolutely incredible. Thank you all so much for your perspective and advice. I can't even begin to explain how grateful I am. You have helped me tremendously!
Many thanks.
Ian Lilkendey

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Painting

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Ric's Forum Posts: 65
Interview Answers: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 7/24/2009

Okay, I don't know that I'm really looking for any advice here, probably just grousing a bit.

I've finally gotten past the post drywall cleanup issue, and just accepted that my subfloors are now white. I don't guess I'll ever see them again once the main floors go down, so it's not a big deal. Lesson learned, next time, cover the floors.

My drywaller actually laughed about it, and said with a shrug: "Yeah, most people have us cover the floors so they don't look like that". (Really ticked me off, why didn't he suggest that BEFORE he destroyed my floors?!?!?). Lesson learned. Overall the drywall is a good job for the money, but I don't like dealing with people like that.

Anyway....

So now we're down to painting. In my efforts to get a runaway budget under control, I'm doing the painting myself.

I picked up a sprayer at Lowe's, and a decent one. It's the Graco ProLTS 17. Nice rig (for what it is), but I'm having a terrible time learning to use it. I'm finding that I'm using far more paint than I should, and looking at the results, I can see vertical "bands" on the walls that look like I barely sprayed them, and other areas that look just fine. And I'm even backrolling. I thought that would even it out, but it doesn't do as much for that as I'd hoped. (Yeah, first time using a sprayer of this type. I've painted cars in the past, but not walls.).

I painted my den today. And even went to the extra trouble to backroll after spraying. It still looks like crap. (we're using Sherwin Williams "Super Paint", so we're using a decent quality paint.). I'm seriously considering just going back to using rollers to paint the house. That's a serious amount of rolling to do, but worth it in the end if I can get a decent-quality job.

I don't know what my point here is, other than to express some frustration with the painting at this point. Guess it was too much to ask that the sprayer be that easy to use. lol
Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 7/24/2009

Ric,

I have a Graco sprayer and I noticed the lines when I move the sprayer too slowly across the wall. Try moving your arm faster and see if that helps. We mostly did the ceilings with the sprayer and rolled the walls. I also noticed that dark colors are much harder to get even with the sprayer.  Good luck.

Reply...

Michael's Forum Posts: 22
Journal Entries: 2
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Image from Michael's blog

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 7/24/2009

Ric,

Move fast, keep your edges wet, and plan on at least two coats.You don't say if you used a primer or not. New drywall sucks up a lot of paint, making it extremely difficult to get even coverage with just one coat. This causes running, uneven coverage, and excessive use of paint. On new walls, just like cars, you should apply multiple light coats. I think you will see much better results and save on paint in the long run. (You are going to need another coat anyway if the application is uneven.)

In new construction, the painter is always required to spray a primer coat, at least one finish coat, and then they must come back for touch-up after the finish carpentry and flooring are completed.

Good Luck,

Mike

Reply...

Rachal's Forum Posts: 79
Journal Entries: 31
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 7/25/2009

What a great thread.  Painting is so simple until it isn't.  Don't lose the faith, and remember, there is nothing that can't be fixed.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 7/26/2009

I used a similar sprayer, I borrowed it so I can't verify the make or model. Graco, but which one? Not pro level, but very nice homeowner level, if that helps.

I am a big fan of primer and two finish coats for most paint colors (lighter paint colors might work with one coat). I always partially tint the primer depending on the color of my finish coat. Sometimes your paint shop will have a special primer color that helps with coverage (I selected a dark burgundy for the front door, the primer was tinted bright pink, not sure how they select but that is what was recommended in the computer by my color selection and it was really bright - I left it that way for a couple of weeks just to gauge the neighbor reaction, and yes it generated a ton of reaction). Also new drywall gets a different primer than other applications, your knowledgeable paint supplier should be able to help you here.

If you have vents in the walls (cold air returns, HVAC ductwork), paint the area inside the ductwork black and it will provide a bit nicer finish when you put the covers on.

Reply...

Ric's Forum Posts: 65
Interview Answers: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 7/27/2009

Some great answers here.
Yeah, painting isn't as easy as first thought. I've painted individual rooms before, but always on older homes; painting over the existing paint. It's still work, but it goes a lot easier.

Just to clear up the primer questions:
Yes, it was primed.
The drywaller did one coat of PVA, then the texture.
Then I sprayed a second coat of primer over that. So it was well primed.

As luck would have it, my new neighbor is a contractor, and we're friends (my parents lived on that lot for 20 years, so I already know the neighbors). I asked him to come look at what I'd painted so far, and let me know what I was doing wrong. He had some great advice. Part of what I was perceiving as being my fault was actually the wall. As he put it, it's partly just new construction, and that I'm painting during a bad dry spell, so the wall is absorbing more paint than would be normal. Some of the problem is my painting speed.

I was spraying a dark color, and determined to get it all in one coat.
Yeah, doesn't work. Double that up with: dark color, in satin.
Neighbor says that I couldn't have found a more difficult combination than dark satin, on a new wall, hahahaa. Ah well, no one said this was going to be easy.

As he pointed out, the first coat doesn't HAVE to cover perfectly. In fact it's best to spray it light, and do a second coat (live & learn).
So with a few pointers, and some new resolve, we're back underway.
I'll touch up the walls that look bad by lightly rolling them tomorrow.

Faye, we'll be doing the same thing you did. We're going to shoot the ceilings, and roll the walls. My wife still wants to shoot both, I think I've convinced her that doing that would require masking off the WHOLE HOUSE! lol.

But we're back to positive progress now. We picked up the rest of the paint today (gads, I never thought it would take so much!), and we restart painting tomorrow.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.