546 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
gypsyhillfarm East Petersburg , PA
1,169 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Our-log-home Thomaston, GA
1,059 Visits | 2 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

I never win anything! What a treat - thank you. I will have to go back to your site now and see if there were any follow-ups on that thread.
Kathy L., Hanover NM

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

PEX and pressure

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Dustin's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dustin in Roseville, CA on 2/19/2007

I have been reading this forum & book for 8 months now and we just got our financing last week.  Now the fun starts :-) 

I am looking at using PEX for our potable water lines, the house is 3600 sq ft with 3.5 baths, one side of house has kitchen and full bath, the other side of house has 2.5 baths (master & J and J), and laundry room.  My concern is water pressure, our master shower will have 4 shower heads of various types, and I want all to have decent pressure without any significant drop-off.  I am wondering if using multiple manifolds is the answer or is there some other way?  or is the manifold way a mistake, I have seen homes with more than 4 shower heads and no loss in water pressure.  How do people do this? 

Thank You,

Dustin

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 2/20/2007

The manifold will actually serve to ensure you have equal pressure across your water lines, this is one of the benefits of this type of system (if the washer solenoid comes on and the washer fills while you are taking a shower, the pressure shouldn't drop with a manifold system).

Now then, how much water do your shower heads need and how far away are they from the manifold?  You have four, the real question is how many valves do you have?  You need to make sure these valves have sufficient volume of water coming to them, the manifold itself is not a significant restriction.

Without seeing your specific plans, I would be looking to put the manifold in close proximity to the end of the house with the J&J and master bath.  I have two manifolds, but the limiting factor was cost savings (two manifolds close to fixtures they are serving was cheaper than running too much spaghetti back to one corner of the house) and what was available locally (couldn't get the 36-port I wanted as it was special order only at my supply house). 

Reply...

Phillip's Forum Posts: 77

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 2/20/2007

Dustin:

My master shower has a total of 3 heads, all controlled by one thermostatic mixing valve and 3 volume valves, one for each (standard shower head, raindrop, and body sprays).

I ran 3/4" to my shower valve, which also is 3/4". Since there is no manifold port at 3/4", I simply T-ed off my inlet ports on the MANABLOC closest to the shower and ran the lines over.

It may take a little longer to get hot water but my lines are only about 10' long, and I'd rather have a delay than not enough water pressure.

Phillip

Reply...

Dustin's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dustin in Roseville, CA on 3/19/2007

Hello,

Thank you both for the replies, ideas and experience are both what I am searching for.  I think I am going to go with the Vangaurd system and see what happens?

Thank you,

Dustin

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/19/2007

The amount of water available is based on several criteria.

The first place to start this discussion is what size is your water meter, what pressure is available, the total developed length of your plumbing system and how the piping was sized..

Once you know those things then you can make a decision about what it is going to take to have good pressure at the shower heads when all of them are on.

A manifold will help but may not cure any serious problems. Sometimes its a balancing act between volume and pressure.

What you buy for shower valves and heads will also influence water delivery. Some places strictly enforce the low flow fixture requirements.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.