See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
James in Beaumont, TX0.002
Timmy Weeks0.001
Steve0.002

Thanks for the great book and website.
Jeremiah H., Lehi, UT

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Nervous in Michigan

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

matt's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By matt in ravenna, MI on 4/18/2007

Hello everybody!  I've read most of the the OB books and listened to many of the mp3s, etc.  I am considering a project here in W. Michigan, but am really nervous about beginning the process.  I don't know if it's because of the market conditions or the fact that I have never built before, but I am very unsure.  Any suggestions to get my project jump-started?
Reply...

Doug's Forum Posts: 31
Interview Answers: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Doug in Lawrence, KS on 4/18/2007

"Nervous" is a good place to start... ; -)

I have remodeled houses as a "hobby" over the years and recently completed my first spec house.  I plan to build my families home this summer and "nervous" doesn't begin to describe the apprehension I have.  Building a house is a tremendous undertaking, one that can not be fully appreciated until you live the experience.  Planning is crucial to the overall success of the project!!!  Plan and replan and plan some more.  Every detail needs to be thought out before the first nail is driven.  

If you are new to the business, hiring a consultant is a very wise investment.  But, as with anything, clearly define and provide in writing your expectations of advice and amount of help for fees paid. 

Reply...

Michael Penn's Forum Posts: 81
Journal Entries: 55
Interview Answers: 58

Private Message

My Construction Website

Michael Penn's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael Penn in Dripping Springs, TX on 4/19/2007

Matt, you don't say very much about your situation, so these thoughts may or may not really apply to you directly, but I have a few general thoughts to throw out.

Of course owner-building is not for everybody--in fact it's probably not for most people.  Most people don't have the time available, or the persistence necessary, or even the desire.   And for them, it's not such a bad time right now to get a house the more conventional way--lots of existing houses for sale on the market, many at good prices; lots of builder-built spec homes available in many areas, with lots of incentives.  Or you can hire a general contractor for a custom build.

But assuming that you have the desire, and you're willing to persist, and you have some time availability and flexibility, and you're just wanting to become more comfortable with your prospects as an owner-builder:

One thing that may help is to reflect on your relevant life experiences. 

What big project have you undertaken and carried to completion?  In school, in team sports, at work, with your family, with an organization you're a member of, whatever...  Doesn't matter at all whether it's even vaguely related to construction.

What experiences have you had working with people, coordinating people, managing and leading people? When you've had problems arise with projects, have you been able to find a way thru, over, or around?

Also, understand that there's an abundance of resources that can help you at all stages of the process.  A great deal of help is available for free, or nearly free, some of it is pricier--but probably still much cheaper than just hiring a general contractor.  You can choose the level of help that works for you. 

I've found it very helpful to talk to people at ownerbuilder consultant companies--they can give you a good overview of the process, they aggressively promote their version of owner-building, and they offer a service that you could choose to employ, that can provide a measure of assurance and "insurance".

But I've found it even more helpful and even reassuring to talk to subcontractors about their part of the process, and their view of the overall housebuilding process.  To them, you're not all that different than the experienced general contractor that they work for more frequently.  It's their job to know more about their trade than just about any general contractor would.  And it's also their job to understand, to work with, and to please the guy whose project they're working on.  That can be you.

And of course I've found it especially helpful to find resources such as this forum where I can read about so many people's questions and answers throughout their journey in housebuilding, and even join the conversations.

So welcome to the adventure, if you choose to embark...

Reply...

Evan's Forum Posts: 7
Interview Answers: 73

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Evan in Middleville, MI on 4/25/2007

Hi Matt, I thought I would offer a local opinion. I am in Middleville, MI and just completed my own owner-build. I did almost all of the work myself. I was able to come in at $79.80 a square foot. This is not including the lot. If you have any questions, or need some direction feel free to PM me and I can at least offer an opinion. I have worked as a builder, and am currently a residential appraiser. I also went to school for architecture and am currently trying to get a Residential Design firm opened up. If anything comes up please feel free to shoot me a email or PM. Good Luck!
Reply...

Brian's Forum Posts: 23
Journal Entries: 29
Interview Answers: 50

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Brian's blog

Login to Vote

By Brian in Dexter, MI on 5/6/2007

I am getting started building this month in Ann Arbor with ICF, but my concrete contractor is from grand rapids. If you have any questions, you can email me too.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.