movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

There is so much info on here that it is hard to read it all! I am glad to have found somewhere to receive advice.
Angela in Lake Helen, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

National Construction Estimator

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2008 Merit Award Winner

Pat's Forum Posts: 212
Journal Entries: 22
Interview Answers: 61

Private Message

Image from Pat's blog

Login to Vote

By Pat in Arnold, CA on 12/3/2007

I stumbled on to a gold mine for easy initial budgeting.  I recently ordered the book 2007 National Construction Estimator and it happen to come with a DVD that includes all the info in the book and the software to do the estimating... it's all point and click by using mostly square footage and linear feet to estimate the different components of construction.    It took me about 8 hours estimating all the different components of the construction using the software. In setting up the software it asks for you zip code so it can adjust the national average to fit your particular building location.  I now feel like I have a solid base to work from when going out to get actual bids from subcontractors.   I at least know what it should cost (or at least reasonably close).

Pat

Reply...

Lisa's Forum Posts: 11
Journal Entries: 9
Interview Answers: 54

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lisa in Fredericksburg, VA on 12/6/2007

Where did you get it?
Reply...

2008 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Image from Pat's blog

Login to Vote

By Pat in Arnold, CA on 12/6/2007

I ordered the book on-line through Amazon.  The book has a disk inside that has the software on it.

Just go on to Amazon and search under books for "2007 National Construction Estimator".

Reply...

Barbara's Forum Posts: 19
Journal Entries: 7
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barbara in Gladstone, OR on 12/10/2007

Pat,

I'm curious if you have compared your estimate to the one available at building-cost.net and how close it comes?

Thanks!

Reply...

2008 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Image from Pat's blog

Login to Vote

By Pat in Arnold, CA on 12/10/2007

Yes I did compare the two.  Building-cost came up with $273,000 and the National Constructon Estimator came up with $334,000.  Thats a huge $61,000 difference.  I thought the $273K seemed  low and that's why I sought a more detailed estimating software.  So, instead of $180 a sq foot I'm now coming in at $230 sq foot which seems much more in line for the California area.   
Reply...

Barbara's Forum Posts: 19
Journal Entries: 7
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barbara in Gladstone, OR on 12/11/2007

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the response.  I noticed on another thread you are building with SIPs and timber frame, do you feel that contributes to the additional cost to build? Could that be part of the reason why the building-cost.net site was not accurate for your build? 

So far the Building-cost.net site seems to be in line with our research for our area (Oregon) for standard stick-built,  but we are afraid to rely on it too much.  I will be glad when our plans are complete and we can get actual bids.

Reply...

2008 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Image from Pat's blog

Login to Vote

By Pat in Arnold, CA on 12/11/2007

I wasn't comparing apples to apples in either software since neither supported timberframe/SIP costing.  The National Estimator just was in such detail that I knew where I could omit product that would be covered by the timberframe or SIPs.  If anything the bulding-cost should have been higher since you can't manipulate certain line items not to be included.  It's a lot like comparing a notebook writing software you get free on a computer to the full blown version of Microsoft Word.  They both do the same thing but one is much more powerful and includes a lot of details.

Reply...

Guy's Forum Posts: 64
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 12/16/2007

Our local library had a copy of National Estimator so I was able to get it for free.  Unfortunately, the software seems geared towards big construction firms and is a bear to learn.  Sounds like you have a lot of experience with spreadsheets or other similar software which is a big plus.  Good luck on your build and please keep posting links to websites you find.

Reply...

Guy's Forum Posts: 64
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 12/30/2007

I checked out the calculator at building-cost.net for our home in Hawaii.  It was amazingly close to what we have been told to expect, but I'm sure I will need to do a more thorough analysis since neither that nor the National Construction Estimator allows for alternative construction methods.  Our approach is going to now be one of set budget first and then determine what we can build within that budget.  Looking at 2,000 sf home on a $300K budget.  However, allowing $100K for site work leaves $100/sf for the building.  We'll see what we can do with that.  One way I propose to save is to use all the rocks on the property to build gabion retaining walls with.  That's basically building metal wire cages filled with the rocks we have tons of on the lot to act as retaining walls for the driveway up to the garage.  It solves both how to get rid of those rocks and how to build retaining walls inexpensively!  Hope it works.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.