549 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
gypsyhillfarm East Petersburg , PA
1,172 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Our-log-home Thomaston, GA
1,062 Visits | 2 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

I love the book and love the website, particularly the Forums.
Kurt B., Cecil, PA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Metal roof system

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Randy's Forum Posts: 98
Interview Answers: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Randy in Dunlap, TN on 2/9/2006

All,

Recently met with a very knowledgeable designer/drafter (50 years of experience) who told me that metal roofing has become more affordable.  Said in most cases depending on quality and length of warranty that it is more costly but not dramatically.  Haven't started getting quotes cause I'm still waiting on completion of plans but just trying to project costs.  Anyone want to wade in??  Metal vs. architectural shingles??  Apologies if this has been discussed in previous threads.

Randy

Reply...

Yvonne's Forum Posts: 40
Interview Answers: 36

Private Message

Yvonne's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Yvonne in Helena, AL on 2/11/2006

Randy,

I, too, am interested in hearing what experiences people have had with metal roofing and pricing.  We are building a plantation style house in Birmingham, AL and I REALLY want a metal roof.  Plans are almost done so when I get quotes, I'll post them - can you do the same?  I would think with our somewhat close proximity, our pricing will be similar.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Randy in Dunlap, TN on 2/11/2006

Yvonne,

Will do!

Randy

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Randy in Dunlap, TN on 2/14/2006

Yvonne,

Here is some general info for my area.  A "standing seam" roof goes for about $450 per square.  Other metal roofs that come in large sheets run about $150 per square.  I know that is fairly general but it seems to be a good rule of thumb for planning purposes.  Of course, consulting a local vendor would be wise to get a feel for what is available in your neck of the woods.

Randy 

Reply...

Chris's Forum Posts: 31
Interview Answers: 22

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Chris in Schertz, TX on 2/14/2006

I got a quote of $9,200 for a composition roof (40-year shingles), $27,000 for a metal, non-standing seam roof and $57,000 for a metal standing seam roof.  My roof requires about 92 squares, for comparison.  Also, my roof has quite a few hips and valleys.  A simpler roof line would have brought the metal bids quite a bit closer to the composition roof as I would have more waste.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Randy in Dunlap, TN on 2/14/2006

Chris,

Thanks for the info, how big is your home?

Randy

Reply...

Private Message

Yvonne's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Yvonne in Helena, AL on 2/14/2006

Great info, Randy - Thanks!

Our plans are about one week from being complete so we can shop for bids.  I'll let you know what I find out.  Luckilly our roof line is very simple (rectangle plantation style house).  Hopefully we'll find what Chris says to be true - we really want the metal roof.

Yvonne

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 2/14/2006

I would suggest going on-line and look for what roof you want then have the manufacturer refer you to a local dealer or installer. Some roofing contractors can do the work and others shouldn't be doing it.

Reply...

Jeff's Forum Posts: 28
Interview Answers: 43

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in San Antonio, TX on 2/14/2006

Chris, I am in San Antonio also.  I am looking into owner-building.  You might try Professional Sheetmetal Roofing 639-1963.  He quoted me a price of $240 a square for a standing seam roof.  What part of S.A. are you building in?  I am in North Central.
Reply...

James's Forum Posts: 47
Interview Answers: 20

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Spring Branch, TX on 2/15/2006

Jeff,  I am also in San Antonio, we have property in Spring Branch.  Professional Sheetmetal Roofing was your quote for any color you pick or just one they have overstock of.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Chris in Schertz, TX on 2/15/2006

My slab is 5,300 square feet.  4,000 square feet living, which is comprised of 3,500 feet first floor with a media/game room over the garage.  Three-car garage and covered porches on the front and back.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

Jeff, I am building out at Rockwall Ranch which is off of 3009 north of Garden Ridge.  If you haven't purchased a lot yet you should check it out.  The developer has done a great job.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

Yvonne,

I have a friend who builds custom houses in Gulf Shores.  If you live any where near there I can put you in contact with a good sub for your roof.

Chris

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Spring Branch, TX on 2/15/2006

Jeff, is the area code for Professional Sheetmetal Roofing 210?  I am new to the area.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in San Antonio, TX on 2/15/2006

Welcome to San Antonio.  The area code is 210.  The color was galvalume (silver).  I assume that any other color would be extra.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in San Antonio, TX on 2/15/2006

What owner-builder company did you use?  I would be interested in talking to you about your experience with the project and any tips you might offer.
Reply...

Private Message

Yvonne's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Yvonne in Helena, AL on 2/15/2006

Thanks, Chris

We live about 4 hours from Gulf Shores (boy, I wish we lived closer!), so I think we're a little bit too far.  If he's itching to get to Birmingham, send him up!  But I'm sure he's busy building replacement homes from the recent hurricanes.

Yvonne

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

Jeff, I registered my dad as a registered builder with the TRCC. The cost is $500 for two years. This is a lot cheaper than using UBuildIt or one of the others if you just need a builder of record for your construction loan. A friend of mine just finished his house last November, so he provided me with a list of his subs. He used UBuildIt as his builder of record, but it still cost him about $9,000. They provided him with construction estimates and a list of subs, but he did not use any of them. I would be glad to discuss my experiences up to this point. If you PM me I can provide you with more details.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Spring Branch, TX on 2/16/2006

Chris can you provide me the details to register with TRCC.  The subs your friend provided you are they from the San Antonio area?
Reply...

Lee's Forum Posts: 2
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lee in Schertz, TX on 8/14/2006

Chris,

My wife and I will be building in Rockwall Ranch as well.  We're waiting for Unit 4 to open and we're looking at starting around next August when my oldest daughter goes off to college.  Is there anything special about the soil test that I may need to know?  We're just getting started in the Owner-Builder process so we're still greenhorns but learning a LOT!!!  This book has been very enlightening and inspiring.  Would like to keep in touch with you during this process since we'll be neighbors, so-to-speak. 

Thanks and good luck,

Lee

Reply...

Michael Penn's Forum Posts: 81
Journal Entries: 55
Interview Answers: 58

Private Message

My Construction Website

Michael Penn's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael Penn in Dripping Springs, TX on 2/11/2007

Chris, I wonder if you wouldn't mind following up on your post about registering your dad as a builder with the TRCC, in order to satisfy your lender's "Builder of Record" requirement.

What I'm wondering is this: Did a lender suggest this solution to you, or did you do it first and then go looking for a lender who was satisfied with your dad's registration to become a "Builder of Record"?

I'm hoping to find a lender that will look to me only as the responsible party to evaluate for whether the loan is "safe enough", and so I would just use a relative like my mother as strictly a "straw builder", in name only just to satisfy Texas lending law, custom, or whatever it is--that the owner and the builder on the title docs must be distinct. 

I have found a few who at least at the preliminary stage appear to be open.  But I worry that they may balk when it comes time to follow thru (which comes soon).

Others will only consider lending if I pay a "consultant company" to be the "Builder of Record", or if I somehow persuade an actual builder to sign as the "Builder of Record".  For them, I doubt registering somebody with the TRCC would help any (unless they actually had substantial building experience).

Michael, 

PM me for specific details

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.