movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
371 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I've lurked around here for a while reading all the great information on here. As an industry professional, I can say I have learned a lot about the building process from your perspective: as the owner-builder. So, thank you!
Pat in San Diego, CA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Looking for info on Superior Walls

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Eric's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Eric in Clermont, FL on 3/28/2005

Hello!

I am in the process of designing a new house and was looking into using the Superior Walls. Does anyone have any info they would like to share with me, good or bad? I live near Orlando, FL and would like to use them since they are strong and supposedly energy efficient.

I appreciate any comments!

Thanks!

Eric

Clermont, FL

Reply...

Lynnette's Forum Posts: 43
Journal Entries: 26
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Lynnette's blog

Login to Vote

By Lynnette in Orlando, FL on 3/28/2005

Eric, we are not using Superior Walls for our home. We will be building with ICF and will be using Polysteel forms per the recommendation of our engineer (he knows the product). Anyway, I can't be of any help on your question but we are in Orlando and feel free to contact us about anything else. I have a great kitchen designer that can sell Kraftmaid cabinets at a great price. We also can purchase any "Master Craft" carpet and tile at COST. (My husband's business has an account with them). So just let us know if you need any referrals for anything.

We are using Mills & Nebraska for the truss design and engineering and they have given us a really good price. They are doing the takeoff right now on the lumber for the framing. Anyway, my DH will take his GC test in three weeks and hopefully we will have his license to get even better pricing on stuff. He already has many accounts where we can purchase roofing materials at contractor pricing and such. There are certain things that my DH would love to share the cost of, like rental on equipment. Example being: a large front-end loader costs $2,500/mo. rent, we would only really need it for about a week or so, and it would cost just about as much to rent for a week or two so a month rental makes more financial sense. If we split the rental and the cost, everyone saves money. We may do that with my brother-in-law who will be building a new commercial building for his business. Things like that, if planned ahead, can save lots of money. Anyway, I am going on and on. Contact me if you are interested.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Eric in Clermont, FL on 4/6/2005

Lynnette,

It looks like we will not be using Superior Walls as they would have a hard time getting to our homesite. Could you give me the info on the ICF's you are using? I'm really not into using concrete block again and would be willing to pay a little more to have the quality. Are you having a sub install them for you?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Lynnette in Orlando, FL on 4/8/2005

We will be using PolySteel, they have a website.  I am sorry I don't have any specific information at this time about pricing because of course, our engineer is still holding us up on that.  Now it is because he wants to wait and make sure the ARC of the subdivision will allow the width of the house.  So he put everything on hold until we hear back from them.  Hopefully they will have an answer for us this weekend.  As soon as I get any "real" information from PolySteel I will let you know.  In the meantime, check their web site out and see what you think.

Lynnette

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Eric in Clermont, FL on 4/12/2005

Lynnette,

Are you using a sub to install your Polysteel? Any references would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Lynnette in Orlando, FL on 4/12/2005

Eric,

As of right now my husband is planning on doing the installation himself.  He has a crew of employees that he will have helping him.

Reply...

Jennifer's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jennifer in Olivehurst, CA on 8/12/2005

I don't have much info on Superior Walls.  Similar companies are formahomes.com and wallsandroofs.com.  I think I am going with Forma Homes. I'm not sure if these companies deliver to the east coast, as I'm in CA.  I pasted below a copy of an email reply to me from Forma Homes:

Jennifer and Kevin,

Thank you for your inquiry at Forma Homes.  My name is Sandra Rainey and I am one of the Founders and VP of Sales at Forma.  I received your request and will try to answer each question.  I can mail you a brochure and CD if you provide your mailing address.  I can get it out to you early next week.  You can also learn more at formahomes.com.

We would be glad to work with you on your home in Marysville.  We need to start with a plan set that tells us wall, window and door sizes.  Our packages include all framed lumber (all walls) closed on one side, windows, doors, insulation. trusses, shear for trusses and decks.  About 1/3 of the house is sheet rocked (internal walls will have one side closed with either shear or sheetrock and the other side will be open fro inspection). 

If you have simply found a home on the Internet and need to have plans drawn, I'd be more than happy to provide you with a couple of names of some very good and reasonably priced draftsman.  You might plan for approximately $1.50 a square foot for drawings.  Another really good site to acquire plans is Donald A. Gardner Architecture.  They have many plans and they are in CAD.  We need to eventually acquire your drawings in CAD (computer aided design) which is then converted to CAM (computer aided manufacturing) in order to buy from us.  Just a note of caution, many architects stick-draw still. 

Once plans are acquired, we can give you a basic price that will need to be adjusted upon receipt of structural drawings.  (These drawings are the ones that get turned in to the county and are the ones from which we actually build).  Most builders have found that are prices are about 10% less than stick built in the Sacramento area and up to 30% in areas like San Francisco and San Diego.

We are ranging around the $25-$32 a square foot for our product, but that is not to say it would be the same with your home.  Again, all walls (closed on one side), windows, doors, decks, insulation, sheetrock (one third) trusses and sheathing for trusses is included. 

I am in Newcastle not far from Marysville.  I look forward to speaking soon.

Sandra Rainey
Executive Vice President, Sales
Forma Home Systems

Reply...

Andrew's Forum Posts: 55

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Andrew in Corpus Christi, TX on 8/13/2005

Holy Cow!!!

$25-$32/SF - that is high! I know we are in different parts of the country, but I can do ICF for around here for around $10-$11/SF. It was even less before concrete, steel, and transportation costs all went up. If I were quoted a price like that I would be running for the hills. Seriously though, do yourself a favor and check into ICF's. I can't imagine what kind of benefits one could obtain for that kind of a cost differential. Just my two cents worth.

Reply...

Andrew's Forum Posts: 55

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Andrew in Corpus Christi, TX on 8/13/2005

Oops,

My mistake. I didn't realize that the discussion had digressed from wall systems to a panelized housing package.

Reply...

Gary's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Gary in Kingston, NY on 8/25/2005

Hi,

I just made a post in the house features forum. I am happy with the walls I got from Superior Walls of the Hudson Valley. They have a website at swhv.com.

Regards,

Gary

Reply...

Nik's Forum Posts: 1
Interview Answers: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Nik in Cincinnati, OH on 2/4/2006

Andrew,

I think they mean $25-32/SF for the floor area, not the wall area, and they supply the complete framing package.

Reply...

Paul's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Paul in Roseville, CA on 5/25/2007

We used Forma Homes or the Forma Group and we would never do it again.  Our experience with them has turned into a nightmare.
Reply...

Eric's Forum Posts: 11
Journal Entries: 14
Interview Answers: 235

Private Message

Image from Eric's blog

Login to Vote

By Eric in Seaville, NJ on 5/31/2007

Looks like we are going with Superior Walls here in NJ. The quote was $29,800 for 2,400 sq. ft. which includes 237 L.F of 9-ft. walls and 148 L.F of 4-ft. walls. It also includes four windows (32x20), two air vents, Bilco Door and 11 footer pads. In total, I have 30 corners.

Talk to them about excavation too. My local S.W. will also do the excavation work and it was a big savings from my other bids.  S.W. is pretty particular about the excavation for their system.  

I spoke to three local customers two of whom were O-Bs and they were very happy with S.W.

Hope that helps!

Eric

Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Millington, NJ on 8/27/2008

Hi Eric,

Nice house... I saw the pic.

How did you make out with SW for foundation. Do you have a recommended contractor?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply...

Eric's Forum Posts: 11
Journal Entries: 14
Interview Answers: 235

Private Message

Image from Eric's blog

Login to Vote

By Eric in Seaville, NJ on 8/28/2008

Hi Jim,

No problems at all. I really like the system. My mason (very reputable) told me he couldn't do block for the same price. In NJ there is only one Superior Walls dealer. My salesguy's name is Richard Hawk 856.408.9929. He can put you in touch with other guys if you're not from the area. I also had them excavate. They were lower than the other bids, and they are extremely picky about how it is done. Therefore, I didn't want them to come back to me and tell me it wasn't done right. Very happy with both.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Eric

Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/14/2009

You can also have all the info and still have Superior Walls screw up the walls and an installer (recommended by SW) who doesn't have a clue how to set walls plumb and straight as promised in contract. My garage door was two feet over from what the plans called for and the specs I signed off on. Vents were in completely different locations and installer just could not get one corner to line up correctly. Luckily I didn't waste my $ because I didn't pay the installer OR Superior Walls. However I did waste three months of my time which is also quite valuable.

Reply...

Editor

Mark's Forum Posts: 153
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Provo, UT on 6/15/2009

Faye,

Were you able to avoid getting liened by the vendor/installer?

Mark

Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/15/2009

We negotiated a settlement which I signed agreeing not to sue them for damages or expect them to make any corrections to the walls or installation. I would also not expect SW to honor their warranty on the walls. In exchange, I only paid the initial deposit amount that was paid upfront and never paid the balance of the contract. They could never file a lien or sue me for any monies in the future.

With Superior Walls it's hard to tell you have a problem at first. They come in pieces on semi trucks. They have to be set in the excavated hole and put together and then sealed. I checked everything after the walls were set and prior to sealing. That is when I saw all the mistakes. I did have detailed plans that were drawn up by SW and signed off on by me prior to making the walls. It was a good thing, because they could not deny the mistakes they made.

I immediately called SW and all work was stopped until eventually we made the agreement. I am fortunate that I have been in the construction trades and know many people that I could call upon to help me salvage the situation. I called in some friends in the concrete/foundation industry to help straighten and seal the walls. Then my framer did the best he could to try and get the framed walls plumb and straight.

Unfortunately, I just have to live with my garage door opening being in the wrong spot, and I had to seal up vents and cut new vents in the correct spots.

If an individual can't depend on SW to recommend an experienced installer - then how would a layperson be able to find one? If I had it to do all over again - I'd have gone with a poured foundation. On the bright side - I did end up saving quite a bit at the expense of my headaches and garage placement. 

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.