movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
353 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I just discovered the ownerbuilderbook website this morning - excellent source of info.
Jeff in Tucson, AZ

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Log house on a shoestring

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Phillip & Cindy's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip & Cindy in Spencer, NY on 3/6/2000

I took out a $60,000 construction budget for an 834 s.f. log house. I borrowed the money from a bank after an erector or general contractor put his name down with the bank but paid nothing for his signature. We only have a six foot basement. We saved $15,000 on contractor fees. We went out and bought through our draw schedule, Wood supplies, sheetrock, countertops, plumbing, etc. We then hired the tradesmen. Only the plumber supplied the pipe. We tried to get subs for labor only. We did staining and painting, cleanup, dealing with the bank, purchasing, and running errands. Checks from the construction loan were made out to me. We had four draws on this house which saves money and interest. We inflated our estimates to have extra money to pay ahead. We did it on a shoestring. We never paid up front. The house is now worth $76,500; $10,000 appreciation in three years. We did all our own landscaping.
Reply...

Jeff's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Cincinnati, OH on 8/1/2000

As a policeman, I found I have three buddies who do the subtrades: electrician, HVAC, and cabinetry. I do the design work. I went to Michigan and selected my handcrafted log home. 11 inches to 14 inches thick. Maple Island in Twin Lakes Michigan. Mapleisland.com. I am a year away. You only live once. My problem is going to be materials. How do I know they are good? If you have them bid materials plus labor you get to see what materials are needed at least.
Reply...

Carolyn & Albert's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Carolyn & Albert in Winston-Salem, NC on 10/11/2000

I checked into house kits, and I liked Idaho Precut Homes. It comes panelized, high quality, 2x6, windows already installed, the only thing you have to worry about is having your floor in, and have a roofer to shingle the roof. Even the interior walls come prepanelized, except that you need the drywaller to come. Doors are prehung. Has siding. Crane lifts and sets it, and you need your crew there to tie it in. Check Idahoprecuthome.com on the web. You can get a 1,500 s.f. house for $23,000. Real stick-built house.
Reply...

William's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By William in Redmond, OR on 12/6/2000

If anybody is interested in using logs, if you call the local guy who does graded structural logs he will quote $10 a foot. I got hold of a guy who was advertising logs by the truckload to use as firewood. He picked out the ones that would pass grade for house logs. I'm going to have to peel them. His name is Jerry Anderson TPI, Inc. 541 536-9739. He puts the grade stamp on the log. All these log home builders have their own graders in their yard. But this guy gives them their grade stamp. Then the local building department will accept as a structural member. The other guys can't grade logs for anyone else use but this guy can. He carries the liability insurance. There's only like one guy in the whole west. His minimum charge is $360. He can do 50 logs for that minimum.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.