movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
349 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
400 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Ken, I frequently see your posts, and have even addressed a few posts to you - which you provided great responses to. You definitely make this website more valuable!
Kevin from West Chester, OH

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Laminate flooring--what's the current trend?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Julie's Forum Posts: 11
Interview Answers: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Julie in Cache Valley, UT on 7/15/2006

I am trying to determine what kind of flooring to use in my home.  I like the look of wood, but don't want the upkeep that comes with it, and I worry my children may  damage it.  I'd like to do laminate wood flooring, but I can't decide what color of "wood" to use.  I really like the color of the darker woods, but I'm wondering if this is a trend that is on it's way out.  I don't intend to follow all the "trends" with my home, but I also do not want it to look outdated quickly.  We plan to stay in the home for quite some time, but you never know what will happen, and I need to keep resale value in mind. 

Also, we are planning on using laminate in the kitchen area and have never used it before in this room.  I worry about water damage.  Has this been an issue for anyone? 

Thank you for any advice/ opinions.

Reply...

Brian's Forum Posts: 26

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brian in AK on 7/15/2006

What "upkeep" of wood floors are you refering to?  All we do is sweep ours with the swifter.

Brian

Reply...

Julie's Forum Posts: 11
Interview Answers: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Julie in Cache Valley, UT on 7/15/2006

I've been told that hardwood floors scratch and dent easily, and have to be refinished.  With care, I was told it wouldn't be too challenging, but with young children, accidents seem likely.  Am I misinformed?  We had laminate wood flooring in our last home, and never had any problems. 
Reply...

Brian's Forum Posts: 26

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brian in AK on 7/15/2006

Julie,

By 'laminate' do you mean the Pergo product or an laminated engineered wood floor?

There are many soild wood floors that are very durable, not soft wood and prone to 'dents'.

Some woods are softer than others and thus will 'dent' easier than others.  We have two small kids and our floors have held up very well.  We put small rubber caps on the legs of the kitchen chairs to prevent scratchs.  I can't see any scratchs from toys unless I get down close to the floor and really look for some.  To me the floors look almost as good as the day we moved in, three years later.  The performance of your floor really depends on the species of wood you select.

We have a Kahrs engineered floor, European Maple.  Some engineered floors have a thick enough wood laminate on top that will allow it to be refinished 2 to 3 times, Kahrs does.  I have friends that have gone 10 years so far without refinishing their floor.  Check out their site, there is alot of good info there on wood floors in general.  www.kahrs.com

Don't limit your options.  Real wood (engineered or solid) can be very durable.  I find it much better looking than the Pergo type products.  Our next home the entire first floor will be wood.

Brian

Reply...

P's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 44

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 7/16/2006

When it comes to real hardwood, don't worry too much about the color, please yourself. There will always be someone that likes it. Wood floors are always popular.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.