movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I want to say is that if you do plow through old posts, that this forum and That Home Site has been the most useful to me - but it goes both ways - post questions and answers (things you have read etc..) to get relevant topics going. I have also met another O-B through the Connections on this website and they are building locally and we have hit it off and are sharing all our info - that has been really applicable and fun to experience the same issues, 'be in the same boat' so to speak.
by Kari from Spokane, WA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Kitchen cabinets and flooring

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Rachal's Forum Posts: 79
Journal Entries: 31
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 8/19/2009

I can't afford cabinets.  It is not in my budget.  I may have the money, but I don't want to chance not 'finishing' my house because I blew my budget on cabinets. 

So here is the question.  Can I put my porcelain tile in before I put my cabinets in?  If I put in the flooring and then wait to put in my cabinets will I have to rip out the flooring to put them in?  Can the base cabinets sit on top of the tile?  The tile is only 1/2" thick. 

Any advice will be appreciated.

Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 8/19/2009

Sure you can! I put my bath cabinets on top of the marble tile in my master bath. Actually, it's nice if you ever need to change a cabinet or the layout, to have tile underneath. 
Reply...

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 8/19/2009

Pretty simple answer.  Thanks Faye.

Reply...

Mary's Forum Posts: 101
Journal Entries: 60
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Image from Mary's blog

Login to Vote

By Mary in PA on 8/19/2009

Rachal, just one item to chime in. In my current house (including kitchen) I had hardwood flooring installed by my own sub while a GC did all the other work. It is a standard entry-level tract home. But at the time, (some 15 yrs ago) I really wanted the HW floors and I preferred them finished in place, rather than the pre-finished kind. OK - so that was all fine (except the builder was a pain in the neck about it).

Years later, my dishwasher broke. I had a repair guy out to fix it. He pulled it out and replaced some pump and was done in no time with a bill less then the estimate. He said the job had been a breeze because the flooring had been installed under the cabinetry, so it was much easier to slip the appliance out. He stated that in many homes you need to get the appliance up over a lip of flooring that stops at the cabinetry and it can be a real pain and take more time. I'm not sure how flooring is normally done, but seems to be that having flooring extend under the counter could offer this advantage. Disadvantage is you use more flooring material.

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 8/20/2009

Well that works out pretty well for me, because I bought the tile from some lady who had overbought for her project.  She wanted to get rid of both the pallets and so I paid $1 per sq ft.  Because she wanted it all gone, I bought 200 sq ft more than what I needed.  So paying for extra flooring is not an issue for me.  I guess in the end it all worked out for me just right.  I just did the math and the flooring to cover the cabinet space is around 82 sq ft.  So I am still in the safe zone of having enough tile.  YAY!

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why I SHOULDN'T put tile under my cabinets.  I'm liking all the replies so far. 

Reply...

2009 Merit Award Winner

Terry's Forum Posts: 74
Interview Answers: 80

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Terry in Phoenix / Oracle, AZ on 8/20/2009

Actually, you should always put the finish flooring down before installing the cabinets.  This is so that in the future if you remodel the cabinets or change the arrangement of a bath or kitchen and do not redo the flooring the floor is complete. This also makes it easier to fit things like the dishwasher under the countertops as they are at the proper height above finished floor for installing these things.
Reply...

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 8/20/2009

I'm loving you guys right now!!  I talked to a cabinetmaker and a framer today and they all agreed with you!!!

Thanks

Reply...

2008, 2009 Merit Award Winner

Grant's Forum Posts: 363
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 164

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 8/22/2009

With your budget-minded building, I'd like to make a suggestion...

Put the word out to the cabinet manufacturers and the installers in the area that if anyone is remodeling and ripping out the boxes of their old cabinets that you would do the labor of removing them in exchange for keeping them. If that doesn't work, then you can offer to pay a VERY small price for old cabinets that contractors have removed from clients' homes.

They may not be "current" style this way, but it will get you kitchen cabinets on the cheap until you can afford to get what you want in the future.

I'd also suggest talking to the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. They can probably help connect you with inexpensive cabinets as well.

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 8/22/2009

You are brilliant. There is a Habitat for Humanity warehouse/store 80 miles away in Reno. I meant to check them out months ago, but got caught up in other aspects of my build and forgot! Thank you. Maybe I can make a trip there this week.

You are my hero.

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 8/23/2009

Went to Habitat for Humanity.  It was not what I was hoping for.  I also found some used cabinets on craigslist, but was too late.  I'll keep trying.  Will be staging drywall this week.  I may just end up buying a couple of the cabinets I want with the intention of buying the rest later.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.