1,155 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Our-log-home Thomaston, GA
1,048 Visits | 2 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
697-Marlin Austin/McDade, TX
6,478 Visits | 63 Posts | 508 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

I have picked up some tremendous tips in the forums and even met some great people so I think it is important to try to share some of the learning process with others.
Ralph Kettle

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Is this hopeless?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Angela's Forum Posts: 15
Journal Entries: 7
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Angela's blog

Login to Vote

By Angela in Luray, VA on 2/9/2007

Hi -

I am brand new here.  My husband and I are trying to get ready to build a house.  He created a design using the Punch software and we are waiting for a call back from a structural engineer to get his input.

From everything that I have read it seems that there are many things that we should be doing at this stage.  Yet night after night and weekend after weekend roll by without doing anything.  This has been worrying me for a while and when I said something to him about it today his response was

1. If I want to go look at model homes I can do it myself; he doesn't need any ideas and likes the design the way that it is 
  2. We shouldn't be talking to anyone or looking into flooring, windows, kitchen cabinets, etc. until the engineer is done.  He "doesn't agree" that we could or should be doing it now

My questions:

1) is he right?

2) what should I do

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated, we really need a house.  I am at my wits end.  Thanks -

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 2/9/2007

You are embarking on a road less traveled.. And I suspect that many who stumble upon this forum are in similar quandaries and situations. But guess what, this is where you will get the support and advice you need to realize your dreams.

If the floor plan is what you want, don't wait for an engineer to give an opinion. Start the planning process by talking with sub-contractors, material suppliers and ask questions here, in the local forum section and soon you will have answers about cost, time frames and feasibility of your project.

Some of us here have been through the process repeatedly or are professionals that assist owner-builders.

I think that you could get many of your unwritten questions from browsing through the various thread here.

So research,  plan, make a schedule, make a budget and things will start to fall into place.

Reply...

Charles's Forum Posts: 17
Interview Answers: 65

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Charles in Layton, UT on 2/9/2007

Hello and welcome.  There are a lot of things that can be done.   Have you read The Owner-Builder Book?  If not, then I would recommend that be the immediate thing to do.  It will give you more insight as to time frames for tasks.  Answers to your questions:  1) No he isn't.  2) Research and Plan, Plan, plan.  I have been planning for the last year and will be starting this spring.  Good luck.
Reply...

Lori's Forum Posts: 122
Journal Entries: 89
Interview Answers: 202

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Lori's blog

Login to Vote

By Lori in Reno, NV on 2/9/2007

Angela,

I would like to welcome you to Ownerbuildersbook.com. I agree with the previous poster. It is all about planning, planning, planning. I will give you a quickie on how we did it.

1. We started looking at property summer of 2001. When 9/11 happened my husband was sent overseas, but I didn't stop looking. It was hard because the market was great and the land went fast. When he came home the summer of 2003 we found and bought a piece of land.
  2. We had agreed on a basic design for a house in 2002 I believe, which was hammered out with the designer right before we started to build in June 2006 
  3. We knew exactly what we wanted and we got ideas from model homes in our area and house plans on-line. When we went out to look at model homes we would take paper, pencil, measuring tape, and a digital camera. By doing this it allowed us to stand in the same size room we planned on building. I am glad we had done this, because if we had not our bedroom would have been to small. A size written on paper is completely different when you are standing in the room. So I suggest you go to models and look, measure and take pictures. It really helped us. By the way we didn't stand in a walk in closet the same size as ours and it is to small for me.
  4. We started buying items for the build in 2003. Since we had an idea what we were building we were able to get things on sale/clearance.

We didn't just jump right into building as our friends did and they are now paying the price literally. Take your time you wont be sorry, buy the land if you can then plan your dream house or your first step in step building.

Take a look at our journal   toolehouse

Hope this helps Lori

Reply...

Angela's Forum Posts: 15
Journal Entries: 7
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Angela's blog

Login to Vote

By Angela in Luray, VA on 2/10/2007

Lori (Charles & Dale) -

Your responses have helped me realize that I can and will get this done.  Thanks so much for input.  Your positive attitudes are very encouraging!  I have ordered 8 books/DVDs from the library to add to my existing collection and downloaded several of the spreadsheets and word documents.

I am also going to start a blog/journal on this site, if for nothing else, to help keep myself on track as a visual reminder of what's been done and what's left to do.  Thanks again for taking time out of your busy schedules to post a response.  I appreciate it very much.  I look forward to looking for you all on the website and seeing how you are doing!

Angela

p.s. here is a picture of the view we will have.  the house will sit about where the swing is located.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.