movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
349 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
400 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

The Owner-Builder Book has been our best written guide to-date, followed closely by friends & family who have gone through this experience.
Pat & Norman in Sewanee, TN

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Is Anyone Else As Tired As I Am ?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/23/2009

We are currently doing tile work and fireplaces and looking forward to starting cabinets. I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel BUT I am sooo tired! The only thing that keeps me going is thinking of how much $$ I am saving! LOL. This week I am laying 450 square feet of marble tile that I found on clearance sale at HD for $.78 per square foot. It looks beautiful but man is it heavy! Curious -- those of you in the building stage, what are you currently working on?

Reply...

Rachal's Forum Posts: 79
Journal Entries: 31
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 6/23/2009

We just finished the roof. I ran out of money, so I am saving up now. WOW!! $.78 per sq ft for marble. You scored. I was proud of my $1 per sq ft porcelain tile. 

Even though I've run out of money, I am having fun looking for light fixtures and plumbing fixtures. My idea of a fun day is to go to plumbing showrooms. I saw a BHG photo of a kids' bathroom sink that was trough style. I wonder how much one of those puppies cost?

I know how you feel about being tired, I used the leftover siding from the house (I purposely ordered too much) to re-side my 35-year old pump shed. There is enough metal left from the scrap pieces that protected the new roof when it was delivered that I will use that to replace to 35-year old cedar shingles. Then there is work and kids. 

Even though I am out of money, there is plenty to do. I need to caulk the whole exterior and paint it. I need to grade it. This is a slow process because of my little tractor. I need to design my landscape more thoroughly so that I can place outside water sources accurately. I could probably do more... but that is enough for the summer. 

I am also thinking about getting a second job in the strawberry fields picking weeds. Every penny counts at this point. My husband works and I collect a retirement pension. These two incomes support our family comfortably. So every penny I make goes straight to the new construction. I figure two years of working my butt off is worth the price of a beautiful home to live in for the rest of my life. 

Great thread Faye. Keep up the hard work. It probably makes the finished product THAT much better.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/24/2009

Rachael,

Right there with you on running out of $$! LOL. We ran out too! Luckily we had most of the materials in storage so we have been buying a little every week when the paycheck comes in. We just need small miscellaneous items like boards, switches, receptacles, etc. We have been spending about $300 per week. I was very lucky to get that marble, and it looks gorgeous. I just happened to be in HD and they had 2 1/2 pallets sitting in the aisle. It was clearanced at $1.12 sf. I asked for a manager and asked him how much to take it all -- we settled on the $.78. I immediately paid and called my hubby to bring the trailer before they changed their minds! LOL. We have 90 cabinets in storage that need to be painted and installed and we will be starting that next.

My kids have been helping quite a bit since summer break started -- they want to have the house done before they go back. I have a lot of landscaping to do too, but it will have to wait until next summer. When I was a kid we picked berries in the fields and then made strawberry jam with them. We did enough jars to last the whole year.

You are correct, it's definitely worth it and especially now when most people owe more on their homes than they are worth. Plus we can take great pride in doing it ourselves. I wish you lived closer Rachael, I have a ton of daylilies that need to be divided -- you could use them for your landscaping!

Reply...

Rachal's Forum Posts: 79
Journal Entries: 31
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 8/7/2009

When you started this thread I didn't understand the word 'tired'. I'm with you now.  Just finished painting the exterior. Need to do soooooooo many things next. I wonder if I'll ever be done. My husband often comments that we can "do it later". He's talking about upgrades of different sorts. What he doesn't understand is that when I'm done I just want to be DONE. 

No complaints though. This is my dream house. By the way, where did you get your cabinets?

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 8/7/2009

Rachael,

LOL, our husbands should get together and talk about all the things they will do later. This is our second build - so I just laugh when my husband says that! I know it will NEVER get done later! Our exterior needs to be painted also - it is the HardiPlank Plus that is supposed to be pre-painted, but we had some spots that chipped during the install and will need to be painted again but I am definitely going to save that for next summer. However, I am currently painting all my cabinets (40) and staining all my interior doors (16) so I am bordering on exhaustion at this point. It is very cool to see all the cabinets in though - so it's worth it. We bought our cabinets at the KraftMaid Lordstown outlet in Ohio. Got a great deal and am very happy, but they were different finishes so we decided to paint them all to match.

I am also having a hard time with being "broke". I don't think my finances have been this tight since I was in my early 20's - which was quite awhile ago! LOL  I just keep telling myself it will be better as soon as we get moved. We plan to rent out our current house then because we don't want to try and sell in the current market. But in the meantime - paying two mortgages is hard. The other day I said something about being close to being done and my Dad said "Honey - you will NEVER be done!' Which is true - I will always have a project going - cause that's just how I am. But it will be great to move in!

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.