863 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
thedaniels Graham, WA
924 Visits | 5 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
Cabin-Addition--Spra... Austin, TX
840 Visits | 1 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

Hello everyone! Wow, this is one heck of a forum. I am very impressed with everyone's contributions. My wife and I plan on breaking ground within 10 to 12 months.
Domingo S. M.

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

INPUT REQUEST

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 2/1/2007

I am trying to consolidate some of the topics here so newcomers can find things easier. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Thanks

Reply...

Guy's Forum Posts: 64
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 3/6/2007

Hi Dale, I was wondering if you and Mark Smith could create a 'green' links area, possibly following the CSI masterformat or at least categorized by phase of construction.  The links under resources are too numerous to sift through to find earth-friendly and appropriate systems.  Cheers, Guy.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/6/2007

You're asking for something more than just traipsing thru the mental cobwebs? It is sure nice to have a long-term, on-going challenge that will benefit the whole group.

It will be a  large project and I would like everyone to offer up a contribution or two. This could be a valuable resource  for everyone since its so easy to miss stuff that doesn't make the national news or isn't on your daily "to-do-list".

Actually this could be a nice attachment to the "alternative materials" special report.

Send me a PM and we can maybe work out a basic format to stick everything in because the new CSI format is probably too long for our needs.

Reply...

Michael Penn's Forum Posts: 81
Journal Entries: 55
Interview Answers: 58

Private Message

My Construction Website

Michael Penn's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael Penn in Dripping Springs, TX on 3/8/2007

Can you give a little background--what is the CSI format?  Where can we read about it?
Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/8/2007

Construction documents are often broken down by groups of products by the specifier whose job is to find a company and exact piece of equipment to identify as "this is what we want, or something equal to it" So they go through tons of literature and build a personal database which they typically rely on. Most architectural and engineering firms specialize, say hospitals, Wal-Mart, or gas stations.

CSI is the organization that established a standard format for writing all these specifications, so if one needs a left-hand steel door with auto closure &2 hour fire rating it can easily be compared to all umpteen manufacturers who make that type of door.

the basic masterformat this is a 170 pages. The division numbers and titles are on page 9

a .pdf about green specs green format  this about the challenge of presenting information in a usable form

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 3/8/2007

Wow Dale, what  a can of worms this can become.  Let's skip a formal CSI approach and maybe just stick with a sequence of construction categorization for the sake of OBs.  I just want somewhere where I can post links to some fantastic green/sustainability websites by some form of category.  I don't want to make it a tremendous task though.  Cheers, Guy.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 3/8/2007

Michael, CSI stands for Construction Specifications Institute and is a complex system used by architects and builders to assign a numerical code to the many parts that go into a structure.  Kind of like the library code that categorizes books by subject.  It is really of little value to O-B's since it is overkill information.  Check out sweets.com though if you want to get a taste of it.  Cheers, Guy.  P.S.  know anyone that would like to buy 2 lots outside of Odessa? 

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/9/2007

If we want to make this is easy to read, how about following the format of a basic set of residential construction documents? Have other suggestions? Do we rank things? by sustainability, cost, availability?

1.   SITE
2.   FLOOR PLAN
3.    ELEVATIONS
4.    SECTIONS
5.    FOUNDATION   (including drainage & termite protection)
6.    FRAMING
7.    PLUMBING
8.    MECHANICAL
9.    ELECTRICAL
10.    INTERIOR FINISHES (paint, cabinets, flooring, counter tops, hardware)
11.    SPECIALTY   (appliances, a/v, SMART, solar electric)

Every one can contribute and I'll keep the master list managed and up to date.  If this gets to be too long a list we can decide later if we should break it down into separate lists.

One thing that needs to be addressed and discussed is techniques or systems rather than materials and equipment. For example home-made solar hot water with d'mand and tankless back up on a structured plumbing layout.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 3/12/2007

Dale, not sure if sections is a good category.  It would probably be redundant to other parts of the plans unless there is something you're thinking that I'm not catching.  Guy.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/12/2007

Was thinking "sections' would be where we could catch things that don't really show in a plan view. Mostly the stuff inside the wall that might be difficult to label under elevations or interior finishes. Am open on this, so whatever we can make most informative. Guess to all the non-readers of CD's it might be confusing.

We can always change it later, either add or delete depending on our starting point.

Also I think we can tie this into product reviews so additional comments can develop without cluttering the list. There is a section called "alternative techniques" which we can edit to suit things better.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 3/16/2007

Dale, not to belabor this too much, but I like what PATH website set up as categories in their search box.  Check it out at htoolbase.org/TechInventory.  I'm sorry I'm not able to keep current with your posts, I'm busy studying to get my Real Estate license here to supplement my CAD work.  Cheers, Guy.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/16/2007

Thanks for the feedback. Toolbase has 3 lists that could be applicable.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/24/2007

The Green Building Specifier is now available. With a separate discussion area.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.