movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Hello, I am new and have been planning and researching the house I will build for eight months now. I am thrilled to find this site.
Dave B.

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

ICF QUOTE

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

leigh's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By leigh in knoxville, TN on 8/19/2009

I received a quote for my new home with Knauf WebLok ICF's. My quote is $12/square foot. Is this average, reasonable?

Thanks

Reply...

Sharon 's Forum Posts: 5
Interview Answers: 16

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sharon in Pittsfield, NH on 8/24/2009

Leigh,

Is your quote for block only or for complete installation with concrete and labor?

I have a quote with ECO-Block for block, materials and concrete for $18/sq foot with me completing the labor. Simple house basement, and two additional levels, only four corners.

Sharon

Reply...

Mary's Forum Posts: 101
Journal Entries: 60
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Image from Mary's blog

Login to Vote

By Mary in PA on 8/25/2009

Leigh and Sharon,

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but for this newbie, can you tell me if the price per sq. ft you're referring to is for the sq. ft. of floor space or the sq. ft. of wall space? I'm not sure how these quotes (for building shell) are typically provided (in terms of $ per unit).

Thanks,
Mary

Reply...

Frank 's Forum Posts: 12

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Frank in Lunenburg, MA on 11/9/2009

Leigh,

You should check out: insulatedconcreteforms.com. They have a spreadsheet that you can download and use it to generate your own "rough quote" to get an idea of what you should expect for pricing.  Additionally, their technical assistance via the phone is quite good and they've very friendly and cooperative.  Finally, their system uses vertical forms unlike many of the other systems, which are more like building with Lego blocks. This approach has some advantages, particularly with regards to "blowouts".

Reply...

2008 Merit Award Winner

Pat's Forum Posts: 212
Journal Entries: 22
Interview Answers: 61

Private Message

Image from Pat's blog

Login to Vote

By Pat in Arnold, CA on 11/11/2009

We were quoted $17.50 a sq foot of wall space for labor and materials.
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/12/2009

When they quote price per square foot of ICF, it is usually quoted as per square foot of ICF wall space. This is how the ICF subs I know figure their bids. Also please note that square foot of wall space includes square footage of windows and doors - don't count windows and doors as "holes" in the wall, and therefore delete them when you are validating their bids. Your garage door is a pretty large "hole" so they may accommodate that one, at least partially. While this doesn't seem right, remember that window and door bucks cost money (have you priced VBUCK?) and take labor (framing and bracing) as well. For ICF, remember your footers go down below ground so you have to count wall space that is below grade (not visible and easy to overlook) in your square footage, and if you have a walkout basement your footers are stepped to go deeper over the walkout portion of your house. It is easy to forget these details when we O-Bs estimate our costs for the bank (if we don't have bids to turn in).

Your sheetrocker and framer likely calculate the same way (square foot of sheetrock, square foot of framing). However I found commercial sheetrockers do remove windows and doors from their bids (they bid square feet of actual sheetrock, thus removing the "holes"). For my house, the commercial sheetrockers bid it $1.15/s.f., the residential sheetrockers bid it ranging from $.72-$.80/s.f., and yet all bids were within about $300 total after they measured. This was an overrun on my part, because when I estimated in my budget, I calculated square feet the way commercial sheetrockers did (with holes), and yet applied price the way residential sheetrockers did (with no holes; I found they would give s.f. bids over the phone, and weren't interested in actually bidding a house based on plans that may not get built) - oops.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.