DCS
418 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
g4wowgwow
468 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
My1stOB Melbourne, FL
627 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

I, for one, REALLY appreciate everything everyone on here has been teaching me through documenting their experiences.
Grant in Jacksonville, AL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

House Plans Cost

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

R's Forum Posts: 2
Interview Answers: 37

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By R in Mesa, AZ on 10/2/2006

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, but hoping I can learn a lot. I live in the Phoenix area and am looking for a draftsman to draw my house. I already have the basic design, but need someone to draw the plans. My property is on the top of a hill, so I know some engineering is involved. I've recently met with one draftsman who is quoting me $3 to $5 a livable square foot. I am planning on building approximately a 5,000 sq. ft. home, so this can get pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions or names of someone who is good but not nearly as expensive, or am I being unrealistic? I thought I could do home plans for no more than $5,000-$6,000?

Thanks.

Reply...

Kristen's Forum Posts: 19
Journal Entries: 5
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

My Construction Website

Kristen's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kristen in Snowflake, AZ on 10/3/2006

Hi,

Here are some sites to look into. 

houseplandrafting.com

vancehester.com

customhouseplans.8m.com

I would contact all three and see if they would be able to do what you need including the engineering and building codes.

Kristen

Reply...

Harold's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Harold in Elizabeth, CO on 10/3/2006

Hi Kristen,

Have you used or do you know of anyone who has used any of these services? I am planning a house in Byers, Colorado on a 35-acre lot. This will be my fourth home, including one in Buckeye, AZ.

Harold

Reply...

Kristen's Forum Posts: 19
Journal Entries: 5

Private Message

My Construction Website

Kristen's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kristen in Snowflake, AZ on 10/4/2006

Hi Harold,

I haven't and don't personally know of anyone that has. I was really looking into going with the first link I posted though and then decided to use a local draftsman instead. To me, it didn't turn out to be a wise choice since he charged me $35 an hour vs. the $18 I could have paid and his 2-3 weeks to do it turned out to be about 6. 

I would think that you could get references from these companies, if you asked. I just think that $18 an hour is a really good price and, if I remember correctly, you know your total cost and time frame up front, etc.

Good luck with whichever way you decide.

Kristen

Reply...

R's Forum Posts: 2
Interview Answers: 37

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By R in Mesa, AZ on 10/5/2006

Hi Harold and Kristin,

The draftsman I have talked to don't charge by the hour, but by the square footage. Since I wrote you last I have emailed a few local people. I am getting prices of $1.25 to $1.75 a square foot. (Not including engineering). The original designer I met with was also not an architect, but included engineering services and said it would be $3 to $5 a square foot. With the property I have being on top of a hill and wanting over 10 ft. ceilings, I will definitely need addition assistance. I am not sure if an online, out of state draftsman with work yet but I will look into it.

If anyone has any recommendations regarding people locally, please let me know.

Thanks.

Reply...

Justin's Forum Posts: 125
Journal Entries: 103

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 10/5/2006

I haven't met any that charge by the hour yet but know of a few that charge by the sq ft. I'll shoot you a PM with some local designers and structural engineers that I have contacted, I'll be signing with one next week. We are building in Chandler.

Justin

Reply...

Kelly 's Forum Posts: 15
Interview Answers: 106

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kelly in Catalina, AZ on 10/8/2006

It seems this is a reoccuring question but nobody posts actual designers or architects to contact. Why is that? We all come to this site for recommendations and get great ones for every other aspect of building but not architectural. I would much prefer to use someone that other O-Bs in AZ have used then just using the phone book to find one. Maybe there should be a forum specifically for recommendations and warnings on specific trades. FYI, I have been researching designers in Tucson for over four months with limited success in finding a match.
Reply...

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 10/8/2006

I sent it via private message because I am just cautious about putting names, emails and numbers on the web to avoid unwanted solicitations and spam emails. I don't know any designers in Tucson as I have spoken with several up here in the Valley but if you wanted to try one I can give you their info.

Reply...

Clyde's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Clyde in Phoenix, AZ on 10/9/2006

I am in the middle of building a 3,000 sq ft livable 5,000 under roof house on a hillside (lots of rock) in Phoenix. I designed the house and did all of the drawings myself after searching for an architect. Below are the prices I received:

Architect – $5 – $8/sq ft (all were too busy to start my project quickly)

Draftsman – $2,800 – $4,000 not including engineering

Structural Engineer - $1,600 – $2,200

Geotech Report (must have in Phoenix) - $1,300 – $1,450

Land Survey - $2,300 – $3,000

Grading and Drainage (must have in Phoenix) - $2,900 – $5,000

I listed the cost range so you would have an idea of the itemized cost of what needs to be submitted to the city in order to get your permit.

If you are still looking I can give you the name of a couple of draftsmen in the area, but I can’t say if they are good or not.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 10/21/2006

In Tucson, draftspersons run $1.25 to $3 per square foot. Sometimes it's hard to determine total cost because some charge a rate for living, add a different rate for porches, garages and other non-living space. There aren't many residential designers, an area between drafting and architecture, around. Especially those experienced with O-Bs.

Engineering costs are variable. the building codes allow you to build 10' walls without engineering. my engineer charges $.20/sf for lateral load calcs which is what most jurisdictions want for engineering, unless your gravity loads are out of the norm.

As far as regional coverage, since most of us are under the same code it should be easy to do plans for any area, if local conditions are known.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kelly in Catalina, AZ on 10/21/2006

Here is an example of the kind of useful sharing I would like to see on this site. I contacted 3D Lines and Drafting from an ad he (Charlie Anderson) had in the local Saguaro Gold Magazine. He advertised 10% off design services which were only $1.25 SF -- pretty cheap We wanted to use him, unfortunately he backed out of the signed agreement because he said he didn't have time to do our house. He ran another ad within a few weeks of telling us to find someone else. So in closing, I liked Charlie and would have used him even if we had to wait a little longer; but when he said find someone else two months after we signed a contract with him that was it.
Reply...

2009 Merit Award Winner

Terry's Forum Posts: 74
Interview Answers: 80

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Terry in Phoenix / Oracle, AZ on 3/28/2007

I used Yurkovic Design on my current project. They were $1.80 a sq ft and had like a $2.25 or so price for a hillside lot. The company was fast, very efficient and even offered to submit the plans for me. There are a lot of very iffy designers and plan drawers out there. This is one thing I wasn't going to scrimp on. If there is anything I hate it is fighting a bureaucrat at city hall over some minor design detail.
Reply...

Kirk's Forum Posts: 2
Journal Entries: 28
Interview Answers: 50

Private Message

Image from Kirk's blog

Login to Vote

By Kirk in Mesa, AZ on 11/26/2007

Hope I'm not to late to help you out. I know of person who can draw your plans for $1 per sq. ft. and engineering the plans by an engineer I was referred to were $.35 per sq ft. for a total of $1.35. Since I was a friend of the draftswoman she did mine for just $.75 plus engineering. This is for total square foot under roof, that includes garages, porches. My livable sq ft was 4,311, plus 1,678 garage and another 877 for porches, for a total of 6,866 sq. ft.

If not too late, I can give you contact numbers. 

Kirk

Reply...

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 11/27/2007

Kirk,

It is too late for us, as we should have construction documents within a week. However, the designer and structural engineer are about $1.35 for livable square feet. The garage and patio are thrown in as they base it off of livable and not under roof. It is a pretty good deal compared what I found elsewhere.

Plus our designer, although he hasn't been the quickest, has a lot of good insight on the buildability of our plans and always brings out cost when we discuss changes or ideas. It has really helped us from designing a very expensive home.

Maybe the next Arizona O-B can use one of our designers and save some money.

Justin

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kelly in Catalina, AZ on 11/27/2007

Kirk, I thought I had it all taken care of, unfortunately my designer is not coming through with what was promised. I would greatly appreciate you forwarding me the contact information for your designer.

Thanks,

Kelly

Reply...

Steve 's Forum Posts: 6
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 166

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve in Anthem, AZ on 6/20/2008

Hello R in Mesa,

I used to work for Capital Pacific Homes and I have access to lots of quality subs. You can call Todd Schupper; he worked for Engle homes for years. He is friends with Dave Maza, the man in charge of getting and picking the best bids for Capital Pacific Homes, and he recommended Todd to draw plans. If they need some part of the plans engineered they can get that done. Unless it's a commercial building, you don't need to hire an architect or engineer to draw the plans. Todd is at 623.202.6898

I also noticed that there was three or four draftsmen on craigslist.com. Look at Phoenix under services type in home plans. There are people that charge $25 PER HOUR and others that were by the square foot (about $1 per foot)

Thanks.

Reply...

Tom 's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tom in queen creek , AZ on 6/30/2008

Kirk,

I am planning on expanding my home in Queen Creek and would greatly appreciate you forwarding me the contact information for your designer.

Thank you for the help,

Tom

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.