545 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
gypsyhillfarm East Petersburg , PA
1,167 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Our-log-home Thomaston, GA
1,057 Visits | 2 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

Mark, what a wonderful job you and Elaine have done. I'm absolutely delighted to have come across your book and now your website. New people like me are still discovering your book every day and I couldn't be more thankful to you for being so honest and truthful about the realities of this industry. After reading your book, I simply don't want to (choose not to) use a GC - I will never get what I want! You're so right about the whole thing. Your book is the first book my husband fully agrees with!
Lana Gibbs

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Home inspector?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Shawn's Forum Posts: 4
Journal Entries: 6
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Shawn in Astatula, FL on 3/9/2007

We just broke ground and are considering getting an independent inspector just to make sure everything is built as it should be. Did anyone here use anyone and would you refer them to me. And what is the average rate for this service. I know I have read this before somewhere but now is when I need it. We are building in south lake county. Thanks for any help.

Shawn

Reply...

Bill's Forum Posts: 64
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bill in Callahan, FL on 3/10/2007

Are you looking for an independent inspector in place of the building inspector (This is allowed where I live in Jacksonville) or are you looking for a consultant?

An independent inspector will probably cost between $500 to $1,000 for the project.  I have seen good ones and bad ones.  Some are more strict that the county building officials because they are small businesses and assume a ton of liability by being an independent inspector.  IF this is the way you are going, I would definitely check references.  One of the main reasons to use an independent inspector is scheduling.  You can usually schedule a specific time instead of morning or afternoon like with the county.

A consultant is a whole different story.  I would not go this way without some really good references as  just about anyone can call themselves a consultant.  This will probably be more expensive also.

Bill

Reply...

Zeek's Forum Posts: 13
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Zeek in Jacksonville, FL on 3/19/2007

I did not use one for my house but I wish I did. I had a quote for almost $1000 from CAPRI Engineering.

With the city, you are not always certain to get the same inspector. I found it particularly difficult when I was gettting my Final as I had 4 differents inspectors. And they all had different issues. Not drastically different, but different enough to fail the inspection. And each time I would adress the concerns of the inspector, I would get a new one the next time.

When time is of the essence as it was for us, having an independant inspector may be the way to go.

Reply...

Shawn's Forum Posts: 4
Journal Entries: 6
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Shawn in Astatula, FL on 3/26/2007

We are doing this to make sure it gets built properly. Our county inspector has been great so far. We did fail the footers the first time but he was very helpful and the next time he came out he let them fix something then passed it instead of failing it and making us wait another day. But with the house we are building we want someone who will look at other things too. Not just what will pass code. Now I just have to find someone.

Shawn

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.