NorthPoleHome North Pole, AK
38,631 Visits | 40 Posts | 177 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
James in Beaumont, TX0.002
Timmy Weeks0.001
Steve0.002

Your website is wonderful! I am so happy I ran across it. Building your home without using a general contractor who knows so much about the business can be intimidating to someone who has never done it. Seeing others out there who are doing it and commenting on the process is very encouraging.
Melissa P., North Carolina

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Grading Permit Costs in San Diego County

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Douglas's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Douglas in Temecula, CA on 4/16/2007

Hi Folks,

Has anyone applied for minor grading in San Diego County? I have heard rumors that a grading process costs up to $40K. What am I missing? The county fees are about $500 total (plan review and permit). If I draw the plans myself (CAD), am I missing some special study (endangered baby horn spider thingy) or something else? Please advise.

Reply...

Cheri's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Cheri in Escondido, CA on 4/23/2007

Hi Douglas, 

I'm an owner-builder here in North County, San Diego... Elfin Forest. I've heard the grading permit and grading plan are not that expensive (approx. $1,500.) , BUT the grading can be. You don't need a permit or plan if you are moving less than 200 cu. yds. of dirt. Beware of many engineering firms that can sock you for soils tests and grading plan. I know one very fine, honest, inexpensive, experienced civil engineer who does the whole kit if you need it, not the grading itself: Nick Servin, Carlsbad, 760-931-1792. He used to work for the county so knows all the requirements. He's helping me with my site plan now and I'll be right where you are soon. Nick can no doubt help find reasonably priced reliable grading. 

My project is being held up because the designer got the elevations wrong. I'm building a Calif. ranch with prairie elements. Spent 6 mos. working out the floor plan. On Friday he gave me the elevations and they are CRAFTSMEN. Are you using a designer or architect and are you happy with him/her?

Cheri

Reply...

Robert's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Robert in Vista, CA on 5/16/2007

Hi Cheri, My name is Rob. I also am building in North San Diego. I just received my approved minor grading and septic design. Some people tell me I need a grading plan, some say that the approved plan is enough. Do you know? Thanks Rob.  P.S. Douglas, My wife and I paid $775 to the county for approval.

Reply...

Cheri's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Cheri in Escondido, CA on 5/17/2007

Hi Rob,

If your construction docs and site plan show you will be moving more than 200 cubic yds. of dirt then the county requires a grading plan. If you have gone through your first plan check and the county did not say that you need a grading plan, why are you worried about it? The county has approved you for minor grading. Do you honestly feel more extensive grading is going to be needed? You don't want to make this a bigger deal than is absolutely necessary. Costs can snowball with a full grading plan which also requires a soils report, which alone costs $1,500-$2,000. It is good though to know what kind of soil you have. A visual inspection by a good surveyor or civil engineer familiar with your area can be sufficient to estimate if soil problems are likely, hence if a soils report is truly needed.

From what I have been told the county doesn't come out and count the amount of dirt moved anyway. I hope you have hired on an hourly basis a contractor consultant who is advising you on permitting process and perhaps also have available a civil engineer on an hourly basis for zoning, grading, surveying issues. This is money well spent. Buying quality advice upfront is cheaper in the long run than making a costly mistake down the line.

Good luck,

Cheri
Reply...

Robert's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Robert in Vista, CA on 5/18/2007

Thanks Cheri for replying! We do have a hourly contractor,
 which is helping us greatly. We found out that we still
need a grading plan with all the erosion barriers and such,
however we are excited that step one is complete. YEAH!!

Thanks for the tips, we'll let you know how things turn out.

Rob

Reply...

Jan Scott's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jan Scott in Fallbrook, CA on 10/8/2016

I need help, my neighbor, behind me on a slope has built a four-ft. retaining wall and adding fill, he lifted the land about three feet, and changed the watershed onto my property. I have filed a complaint with San Diego County Sept 15 and they have yet to come by. What can I do? My property will be flooded come the winter rains. He does not have permits nor a plan and the people doing the work are not licensed contractor.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.