552 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
gypsyhillfarm East Petersburg , PA
1,172 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Our-log-home Thomaston, GA
1,064 Visits | 2 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

Thank you for the compliment on my construction journal! I love writing it... helps me organize my thoughts both large and small.
Steve in Colorado Springs

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Going out on a limb... Builder Show Meetup?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Cara's Forum Posts: 38
Journal Entries: 136
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Cara's blog

Login to Vote

By Cara in Orlando, FL on 1/10/2007

Okay, someone's gotta say it! Anyone interested in attending a little FL O-B meet 'n greet at the Builder's Show? If so, please reply with what day/time works best for you. I'm thinking Saturday OR Friday night after the show, maybe a Happy Hour someplace right around the show away from the commotion?

Reply...

Lynnette's Forum Posts: 43
Journal Entries: 26
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Lynnette's blog

Login to Vote

By Lynnette in Orlando, FL on 1/12/2007

Cara,

Sorry it took so long to respond. I would love to meet at the builder's show. I don't know what day we will be going yet. I am at the mercy of my husband's work schedule. He is supposed to do a job in Pittsburgh next month and I am not sure when that will be. I will know more, close to the end of this month. Let's keep this thread going and see if anyone else will respond in the next few days. We will figure something out.

Lynnette

Reply...

Lisa's Forum Posts: 122
Journal Entries: 101
Interview Answers: 94

Private Message

Lisa's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lisa in Groveland, FL on 1/13/2007

Cara,

Would love to, but unfortunately having two girls, one at school and a little one, Fri and Sat for the show, are the worst days. Rup works solid every Thurs. through Sunday, so I was just going to go on my todd to the show. Weds. or Thurs. I can do at the show. But if it is in the evening (1830hrs) on any day, we will do our level best to be there (babysitter dependent). Whenever you say.

I know kids make things very awkward and I do so apologise, so please don't work around me if meeting at the show. Go with a date most people can make it, again I apologise. I almost did a "you, going out on a limb", but know I and my life are the awkward ones. If it goes ahead on Fri. or Sat. at the show know my thoughts and good wishes are with everyone. We will be having a one heck of a party approx 6 weeks after moving in, and you guys are certainly invited, but I'll post details when we get there. It would be great to meet all the people you have helped us and given our courage a good boast while committing to this.

Well done, Cara.

Lisa.

Reply...

P's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 44

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 1/14/2007

We are interested in meeting up. We will probably know more in the next week.
Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 66

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Beverly Beach, FL on 1/14/2007

Friday or Saturday night sounds great for us. We will keep an eye on this thread.

Jim and Linda

Reply...

Shawn's Forum Posts: 4
Journal Entries: 6
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Shawn in Astatula, FL on 1/14/2007

Like Lisa I have small children and as of right now no sitter. Sitters are hard to come by when you have twins who are almost two. Go figure! Anyway I am hoping to go to the show signed up for tickets but you can't even bring a stroller so this will severely limit my ability to go. But please post if you guys find anything that we all should know about if I don't get to make it there.

Shawn

Reply...

Private Message

Lisa's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lisa in Groveland, FL on 1/14/2007

Shawn,

If it is any help, depending on which day we go, I can have a word with the lady who runs the daycare for my two-year-old and see if she can do a one off for your two. I was going to try and time it for when we were meeting, but she and her hubby occasionally do babysitting in the evening if asked ahead of time. They are on vacation presently, but I'll ask them later this week if you are interested. They are in Clermont just south of the 50. I know babysitters are a huge problem in this area as no one knows anyone else. I miss the old small town feel I grew up with. I mean it can be a pain everyone knowing everyone, but with kids, everyone keeps an eye on everyone because they know who they are. 

Only an idea, I'll pm my phone number if you want more info. Seriously, no pressure and you don't know me from Adam so if you don't get back don't worry about it. I completely understand.

Lisa.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Cara's blog

Login to Vote

By Cara in Orlando, FL on 1/15/2007

Okay, so there's some interest at least :). I think ALL of our schedules are pretty crazy, so it's bound to be tough to find something that works. If it helps, we could do the meetup off site at a family-friendly restaurant so all could attend regardless of babysitting. Jason and I have not quite crossed that bridge yet - all we need to worry about is letting the dogs out and feeding them, lol - so I forget that outings can be a logistics nightmare for those with little ones... Alternatively, we could have a meetup independent of the builder's show - maybe a week after - and use it to info-share and debrief, since I'm certain we'll all see different things and talk to different people. Only problem is that our out-of-towners (Jim, etc.) may only be in O-town for the show.

Reply...

Shawn's Forum Posts: 4
Journal Entries: 6
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Shawn in Astatula, FL on 1/15/2007

Lisa, thank you for the offer but that would be a good drive for me right now. We will be building in Astatula. We live about 20 minutes away from that right now. I am still trying to get a sitter though, and would love to meet up with you guys at some point if not that weekend. Thank you for your help, though.

Shawn

Reply...

Brian's Forum Posts: 86
Journal Entries: 176
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Image from Brian's blog

Login to Vote

By Brian in Dome-ville, FL on 1/20/2007

I would like to meet, too. A family restaurant sounds like it would be good. Say 7 pm? Anyone know a family restaurant not TOO close, but nearby?
Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Lynnette in Orlando, FL on 1/24/2007

OK, so it looks like my husband will definitely be out of town for the Builders' Show. I will be going on my own. Brian, Fridays and Saturdays get pretty crazy around here for eating out, so I will have to get back to you on family friendly restaurants nearby. I will try to give some suggestions before the end of the week. I think I will be going to the show pretty much every day since my kids will be in school, and I won't be working around my husband's schedule. He has several things he wants me to check out for him. Maybe I will see you all there.

Lynnette

Reply...

Randy's Forum Posts: 54
Journal Entries: 3
Interview Answers: 99

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Randy's blog

Login to Vote

By Randy in PB, FL on 1/26/2007

We'll be there Friday and Saturday. We're staying Friday night near the Florida Mall. Look for OBRUS on our name tags. Stop us and say hello.

Randy
Reply...

Private Message

Lisa's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lisa in Groveland, FL on 2/5/2007

Cara,

Hope it's all going well. Has anyone come to any consensus re: meeting up? We are still up for it, but need to know when to get babysitting sorted. My hubby and I will be at the show on Wednesday, but can be around in the evening one other night as required. If not, keep an eye out for "Mabley St." that's us.

Lisa.

Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 66

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Beverly Beach, FL on 2/6/2007

Lisa and All,

We will be seeing the show in Orlando on Saturday.

While in the area, we would like to see some of the O-B houses in progress. I'll contact people directly on that one.

Dinner and beer or lemonade would be great on Saturday evening. We'll certainly buy a round. Any ideas on time and location? We'll be there.

Jim and Linda

Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Lynnette in Orlando, FL on 2/6/2007

Lisa,

I too will be at the show on Wednesday. I am going to be with my mother-in-law. My name will be on my name tag. I guess I will post a picture of myself so that you have some reference. I will do that now. I will probably only be at the show until 1:45 or so, since I will be picking up my girls from school. Thursday I will be back out to the show as well. Please stop me if you see me.

Family friendly restaurants in the area are Red Lobster, Friendly's, TGI Fridays... etc. Pretty much all the restaurants in the area are good for kids. I guess it just depends on preference. Still open to meet up for a meal if we can all come to a consensus.

Lynnette

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Cara's blog

Login to Vote

By Cara in Orlando, FL on 2/6/2007

Friday or Saturday evening works for me... Jason has inventory at work, so I'm not exactly sure what his schedule is. Also, Jim or anyone else in town, feel free to stop by - I will probably go to the show on Friday and to the property on Saturday (more painting, joy!).

Reply...

2006, 2010 Merit Award Winner

David's Forum Posts: 227
Journal Entries: 11

Private Message

My Construction Website

David's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Ocoee, FL on 2/6/2007

I will be at the show Saturday bright and early. I will be wearing a light blue long sleeve shirt with Dunright Remodeling embroidered on the front of the shirt with my name below it. I will be looking specifically for products and tools that I will be able to use in my new remodeling business in Tallahassee.

While I am on the subject, I would like to update you on what I have been doing for the last few months. I have been clearing my lot in Tallahassee and lining up all my tools, uniforms and promotional materials for my new home remodeling venture in Tallahassee. My 1840 s.f. $115,000 manufactured home is being set up as we speak. Just let me say that manufactured homes have come a long way since the days of aluminum siding and 2x3 studs. Sylvia and I are thoroughly impressed with the fit and finish of our manufactured (mobile) home. The 6-foot-long low-E vinyl insulated windows are as good or better than any Pella window I have seen thus far. The tape and texture on the walls and knockdown on the 9-foot ceilings (throughout) is superb. The bullnose corners also add a nice touch.

The home arrived without a single crack in the walls or ceiling. That may be due to the fact that we had Homes of Merit upgrade our home to 2x6 construction 16" o.c. and 2x4 16" o.c. for interior walls. The architectural shingles look great on the 4/12 pitch roof. The fully-insulated oval glass front door with the 12"x36" dead light above it really brightens up the front entrance. We finally decided on a York 3.5 ton, 15 SEER, variable-speed heat pump split unit with electronic air filter and ERV. No, this is not what the factory normally puts in their homes.

I got $2,500 credit from the dealer and hired my own HVAC contractor to put in a split unit instead of one of those package units they normally come with. $8,300 later and all is good with the world. My 4" well that goes down 263 feet ended up costing me $6,200. Another $2,300 for the septic tank and drain field.

While I would have to admit that this type of home will not work for someone needing lots of square footage, it is however a viable alternative for someone immediately needing a nice place to live without the sky-high price tag of a developer site-built home with all the add-ons. I still however dream of building my own 3,500 s.f. SIP house, but I have to postpone it until I get my remodeling business off the ground. 

See you all at the show!

David

Reply...

Private Message

Lisa's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lisa in Groveland, FL on 2/6/2007

Lynette, Cara, Jim and anyone and everyone else,

Rup and I will be there from 0930 hrs until 1730 hrs, tomorrow. Small one in daycare, bigger one in school, then going to her friends, which she loves and they are fab.

Unlikely to be there other days, as I feel like I am clinging on with my fingernails; not enough hours in the day.

Not sure what I'll be wearing, but probably a brown leather jacket and "Mabley St." on the badge. Let us know the night, in the meantime.

TTFN,

Lisa.

Reply...

Frank's Forum Posts: 24

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Frank in Orlando, FL on 2/6/2007

Hello everyone,

Sadly I will be working during the day for the next several days so I will not be able to attend the show, but my wife Donna is interested. We could not find a way to get tickets, are they on sale at the door? We would also love to meet up with you guys maybe on Friday evening at a family-friendly restaurant as we won't have access to a sitter... Chili's, Carraba's, Red Lobster, Bennigans, TGI Fridays are all located around the Airport/Florida Mall area.

Thanks,

Frank and Donna

Reply...

Brian's Forum Posts: 86
Journal Entries: 176
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Image from Brian's blog

Login to Vote

By Brian in Dome-ville, FL on 2/11/2007

We had SO MUCH FUN at the show! I went Wednesday all day, got thru all of the displays and got info for the things I wanted, then brought the wife and two boys back on Sat. I thought they would be bored, but WOW, they LOVED it. Both boys won Ryobi power tool combos (the cordless driver, saw, flashlight and two battery packs and charger). If you made it all the way up the climbing wall and rang the buzzer, you won a set, and there was no way I was dragging MY bulk up the wall. We came back with the tool sets, countless hats and T-shirts, $15 in Lowe's gift cards, and many other little items. I will NEVER have to buy carpenter's pencils, I can tell you that.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.