854 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
thedaniels Graham, WA
914 Visits | 5 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
Cabin-Addition--Spra... Austin, TX
832 Visits | 1 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

Thanks for the site and the book. I know that having these resources available has definitely increased our confidence that we can take this project on.
Barbara in Gladstone, OR

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Gloucester (Radiant Flooring) tips and blueprints

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Kerry's Forum Posts: 4
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 42

Private Message

Image from Kerry's blog

Login to Vote

By Kerry in Newport News, VA on 3/17/2007

Things that we have learned so far; this may not be news to some of the seasoned vets on this site.  But it may help others.

Food for thought:

1) When ordering floorplans (blueprints) through the mail or off the Internet (we are getting ours from coolhouseplans),  keep in mind that most of these companies DO NOT adjust the blueprints for local codes to where you will be building your house.  This will normally be an extra expense to you later as your blueprints will need to be approved by codes and compliance prior to breaking ground.  We have decided to order the "DWG" CAD files only from the website, and take the plans to a local designer and have them set for local codes.

2)  We will be installing our radiant heated flooring ourselves.  Due to having radiant heating, this will add approx 3/4 inches to our foundation as we need to cover the heating tubing with fresh concrete to make the floor base.  THIS WILL AFFECT the length of the pipes that the plumber has to install within the foundation.   The pipes that come up out of the floor into the house (i.e; bathrooms, kitchens) will have to be longer than standard size to account for the extra concrete.

3)  Radiant flooring also affects HOW framing can be adhered to the floor.  All interior framing should be secured to the floor with adhesive (industrial concrete or other adhesive types).  The standard method of attaching the framing to the floor with nails will puncture the underlying radiant floor tubing/wiring.

In our framers' labor agreement we have placed a clause within it stating this information to the framers.  We have also stated that they agree not to hold the owner-builders responsible for the funding of ANY repair work that needs to occur due to NOT securing the framing correctly for radiant floors.  This also states that they will not place a lien against owner-builder for financing the repair work as the repair work will be at their cost should it be necessary.  " I know, I know, good luck on getting someone to sign."

We have learned much more than this, but those are the main four points at this stage that I can think of right now.

Until next time!!!
Reply...

Michele's Forum Posts: 22

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michele in Stafford, VA on 3/20/2007

Thanks Kerry!  Its nice for people to post as they learn new things, I appreciate it!

Michele

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.