movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Unfortunately I did not find your book in time for this house but we have it for the next one. It is a great book, full of useful information. Lots of it seems like common sense after you read it but I did not have the common sense to think of it before I read it.
Jedda in Brighton, ON

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

French Doors

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Jacklyn's Forum Posts: 26

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 4/8/2006

I have six. Andersen brand is going to cost me an arm and a leg. Is there an alternative brand that you recommend?
Reply...

Tom's Forum Posts: 160
Interview Answers: 156

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tom in Stroudsburg, PA on 4/9/2006

Lowe's stocks Reliabilt French doors. They run from $400-$500 but they are for 2x4 walls. They looked pretty good to me. I had to special order for 2x6 walls and that true French door appeal, outswing doors. With the low-E glass, 15-lite grills and brass hardware it ran me $755. There is an 18-day lead time so I won't see it for another week yet.
Reply...

Sybil's Forum Posts: 27
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sybil in Leominster, MA on 5/2/2006

Have you considered Therma-Tru? Fiberglass doors which can be stained to look like wood.

For comparison - I have a 5'0 French door with 2'0 side lites on either side. Low-E, argon, double pane, tempered glass, no grilles, prefinished white.

My Andersen price was $4,233. My Therma-Tru price was $1,393. I have not installed/used the Therma-Tru doors yet, so I can't comment on actual quality. But at a savings of almost $6,000 for me, Therma-Tru was our choice.

Our local HD carries Therma-Tru.

Reply...

Ross's Forum Posts: 15
Journal Entries: 22
Interview Answers: 164

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Ross's blog

Login to Vote

By Ross in Hillsboro, OR on 3/10/2009

I had 12, but we just deleted four of them. Good out-swing French doors are $$. If you want to save $ you can go with fiberglass doors for about 30%-40% less. The vendors we are looking at: Vetter (architect recommended aluminum clad) Andersen Architect Series (too $$$ AL-clad) Andersen 400 series (vinyl clad) only outswing Andersen 200 series (no outswing) vinyl clad. Pella Designer series (has blinds in between panes, JELD-WEN (similar to Andersen/Vetter costs) Marvin -- $$$$$$$$ most expensive.

I found one other vendor online, but they only have one movable panel on a dual-panel French door. Our Vetter rep can save us $$$ by going with an all-wood door for some of the doors at about $900-$1,200 a door. These don't last as long as a vinyl clad or aluminum-clad door. Aluminum-clad doors come in more colors than vinyl. Other than that, I'm not sure I have a problem with vinyl clad. And we may go with the Andersen 400 series doors. Still fighting the budget on doors/windows. It's our most expensive single budget component on our project. Cutting six doors out helped a lot. We are replacing them with casement windows.
Reply...

Lisa's Forum Posts: 14

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lisa in Locust Dale, VA on 4/3/2009

Therma-Tru has good stuff for doors! As for your Andersen 400 series, the 200 series has less options/colors but basically the same and cheaper. The Andersen 400 series is the exact same thing at Lowe's, but it is called the 850 series there. So you may want to compare prices. M&W has an 800 series that is reasonable (or was two years ago) you may want to check out. Lowe's has a sale on the Andersen 400, offering free screens until later this month. I am also looking at doors and windows now.

Lisa

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.