movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
349 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
400 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I'm nervous about this process -- but with the books and articles I've been reading here, less than I was before.
Lisa in Fredericksburg, VA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Footings

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

David's Forum Posts: 39

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Salem, OR on 11/30/2005

My engineering specs came back with 3 foot wide by 10 inch deep footings. One of the concrete guys that is bidding on the work said that seems like overkill on the width.

My home is 2,500 s.f. basement and same main floor for a total of 5,000 s.f. built of ICF to the roof.

Do those footing dimensions seem right?  Thank you.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/30/2005

Who designed your footings? Did you have any geotech analysis? IRC2003 has a table in the ICF section that provides minimum footing requirements based on house construction data and bearing capacity of the soil. The ICF subcontractors I talked to are all pretty overkill on their footings, but then again overkill isn't going to get you into trouble. I found the only cost to upgraded footings was material costs, as the labor is fixed price, the form work is fixed price, the concrete pump was fixed price (hourly, but either would only use the minimum 3-hour), the upgrade is concrete only. For my money and my ICF house, I used big footings, but as with most decisions I upgraded almost everything structurally.
Reply...

Marc's Forum Posts: 107
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL on 11/30/2005

David,

We are over 5,000 under roof, 20' tall 8" ICF walls. Our engineer has us at 24" wide and 20" deep. Clay/sand soil with 3,000 psi soil testing. Just for a comparison.

Hope it helps.

I can give our engineer's number if you like. He is great as well as our drawer/designer.

M

Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 39

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Salem, OR on 11/30/2005

Thanks, Marc, it sounds like our engineers have a little different take on the dimensions of the footings, but they both like to go big. 

You probably have a lot sandier soil than we have in Oregon. Fortunately, the engineer on mine has a lot of ICF experience under his belt. In fact, he just built a small office building to house his business using ICF. 

I'm still getting bids on my footings. Do you mind sharing what kind of cost factor yours are coming in at?

David

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 11/30/2005

My footings were designed for 2,500 psi soil (the basis from a soils test, although we ended up resting on solid rock after the blasting). Our footings varied in width from 16" (ICF garage walls) to 48" (ICF basement and main level, with a 12" cement cellar roof cantilevered off of the ICF). The width of the footings was varied based on the loads that would be in that area by the engineer (or his computer program).

The zigs and changes in width equalize the pressure under the house - You'd find that walls with lots of windows (and thus, less ICF) would have thinner footings. All my footings were 8" thick, with 2 #4 bars longitudinally, and all footings over 24" had #4 bars across the width of the footing every 3'.

My materials costs (steel, pump truck, form-a-drain forms, and cement) ended up running around $3.5K for the house & garage). So a very rough guess for bid purposes would be $7K. (Note the form-a-drain was a significant cost, but overall savings with the built-in radon vent/perimeter drain).
Reply...

Marc's Forum Posts: 107
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL on 12/1/2005

Some of my walls varied in width as well, (front soil load wall being of larger block than the other walls), and I asked Greg what he thought about that (does the bigger wall require a larger footing or more steel)? He said my 24x20 (2)# 5 steel run, would suffice for those. So yes, I believe he went bigger. Which is fine. A little more concrete, a little more steel; bring it on. I also have nine pier footings supporting the first floor columns (more steel more concrete). Nothing a Kubota can't handle.

As far as cost, it has taken me three days to lay out the batter boards, (mud, blood, cursing) by myself ($100 supplies, $450 Kubota). I need another load of dirt ($125) and time is running out, so I am hiring an EXPERIENCED backhoe operator tomorrow for the rest of the footing. It took me 3 hours to dig 80 feet ($250). Using the concrete estimator I have downloaded (I am not relying on this as my contractor is pouring the footer, walls and slab all at the same time), I have 63.8 yards of concrete at $79 a yard (5,040). I do not have a quote on the steel yet (432 LF). $5,965 - this does not include labor for my batter boards, or pump truck or steel. I think John's quote of $7,000 would hit it close.

I will post some pictures of the footers and the batter boards on the construction site, if you care to gaze at it and give me kudos for some in square work...No one around to look at the work, so I am relying on this group for smiles (Sad, huh?)

Good luck

M

Reply...

Patrick's Forum Posts: 17

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Patrick in Orlando, FL on 12/1/2005

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the footing information. It helps for my planning.

I visited the Wren's Nest. Your lot is just magnificent. Where in FL are you building?

I am working on my plans now, using Chief Architect. Learning CA and learning how to design a house concurrently. It is an overwhelming task for me.

My lot is in Merritt Island, FL. Hope to start next year.

I would appreciate it if you can give me the number of the Engineer that you used. I may need him to evaluate the structure and stamp. 

Thanks,

Patrick Pham 

Reply...

Betty's Forum Posts: 18
Journal Entries: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Betty in Orlando, FL on 12/2/2005

Marc,

I am planning to build in Florida using ICF. Can you give me the name of your designer and the engineering service you use? How much did you have to pay for your plans? Thanks.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 12/2/2005

Betty,

Welcome to the forum, please keep us posted as your O-B project develops.

You may not be aware, but you can send private messages. Just go up a couple of posts, and in the left column under Marc's posts, there is a link to "send a private message" - we like to keep the private conversations off the forums in order to keep them a little more relevant to the O-B community as a whole.

Thank you.

Ken

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.