movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
371 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I love your website and your book. I'm probably not your typical builder, but this is the best forum I've found on the entire internet for owner-builders. Thank you.
Rich in Suffolk, VA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Finished sheetrock, what's next?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Carisa's Forum Posts: 12

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Carisa in Knightdale, NC on 11/20/2005

November 30th our walls will be done, whats next? Our flooring people and cabinet people say they want to come in before the painting. Does this make sense? Does the painter need to prime before the trim goes up? My husband is going to start with hanging the doors. Should the house be painted before the tiling in the baths and kitchen or after? Should the cabinets be set before the tiling or after? This is getting confusing, any guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Carisa in Knightdale, NC on 11/20/2005

Okay, just wanted to clarify, that I meant my wood flooring sub states they come in to set floor before painting.
Reply...

Bill's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bill on 11/20/2005

Typically, the next sub to come in would be the trim carpenters. Some painters like to come in before the trim guys and prime all the walls. I would not put in any wood flooring, maybe tile but not wood. If the cabinet guys come in, all the cabinets will have to be covered during painting. 

For tract shacks, it typically goes like this:

Drywall finished,

Ceiling sprayed,

Drywall sanded,

Trim carpenters,

Cabinet guys,

Painters or flooring,

Mechanical  trim,

Trim guys come in and finish up,

Touch up.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/21/2005

There are some regional deficiencies to consider:

1) Around here, most of the cabinet shops deliver their cabinets unfinished. The painters finish (stain, polyurethane) the cabinets. While unusual, it is regional. I had my cabinets finished at the shop, I figured they have better quality control than finishing on-site.

2) Are your wood floors site finished, or pre-finished. For site finished wood floors, I would put these in next, but delay finishing until later. For pre-finished wood floors, you definitely want them in later. Either way, your cabinetmaker will want them installed before they install cabinets.

3) What finish trim are you using (stained or painted)? If you use stained trim, it will usually go in later. If painted, you want your trim in earlier so that the painters can paint it.

The way I did it was to paint everything (no trim), install finish electrical, install finish flooring, install cabinets, install trim, touch-up trim, install tile, install finish plumbing.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Carisa in Knightdale, NC on 11/21/2005

Thanks for both responses. We are painting the trim, my husband thinks we should have the painter prime first and then prime the trim separate before he puts it up. I'm not sure of his logic, but he said that is how they did it when he built houses in Florida. Our wood floors are not prefinished, they said they come before the painting then come back later to finish them. We are using ceramic in the kitchen and the cabinet place said they come before this.

So does this make sense:

1) wood floors, they will cover with brown paper

2) hang doors

3) have painter prime and prime trim

3) install trim

4) paint

5) install cabinets

6) tile work to be completed in kitchen and baths

7) electric/fixtures, etc

8) plumbing

Am I missing anything?

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/21/2005

The trim is painted separately because they frequently use different paint. Once the trim is painted, it is put up on the already painted walls and the nail holes are filled and touched up.

As to the flooring, I would be very careful about who comes first, the cabinet installer or the flooring installer. If the cabinet installer comes first, it may be difficult to get your dishwasher in place because if the cabinet installer doesn't account for the finished floor height (CBU underlayment and tile thickness), your cabinets will be slightly too low, hence your dishwasher won't slide into place (or come out when it needs replacing in the future). Also the ceramic tile installer has a whole lot of extra cuts to make to cut around cabinets, and the prices may reflect this. This is how it is done in my locale.

The one thing you have forgotten on the list is when to get the floor finishers back out - I would do this almost last as you don't want trades working on your nice newly finished floors. Otherwise it sounds like you have a reasonable plan, keep us posted as to your progress.

Reply...

Bill's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bill on 11/21/2005

I assumed prefinished floors. With unfinished floors, they often go in before paint. Any paint that gets on will be sanded off. We were in a house today hanging lots of crown that had oak unfinished flooring down and not covered. I guess they can sand most defects out of it. Any order will work and all have plus and minuses.

Bill

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Carisa in Knightdale, NC on 11/26/2005

Thank you both for your feedback. I spent an hour at the Contractor's Yard ordering the trim package last week. Tom, my husband, is hanging the doors when the walls are done and I will have them start on the wood floors as soon as they are available. Tom is currently working on our stairs to the front of the house, we are on a large incline, he likes to call it the stairway to heaven. Then are also working on our parking pad and driveway which we are doing in asphalt, concrete is out of our budget. I will leave the painting dilemma up to our painters, to trim or not to trim. So much to do, it's really moving along!
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.