854 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
thedaniels Graham, WA
914 Visits | 5 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
Cabin-Addition--Spra... Austin, TX
832 Visits | 1 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

Today, I had an introduction to the vast resources available on the OBB website. Great!
Bill in Tucson, AZ

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Engineered wood products

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Mark's Forum Posts: 72
Interview Answers: 4

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Seattle, WA on 10/25/2006

I'm using engineered wood, in part because of the green factor.  I bought 12' I-joists for an 11'6" span.  So, I had a lot of 6" scraps from my 9.5" deep joists.  I also had some little scraps from a GluLam, from an LVL, and from the OSB subfloor.  Once I was done framing the walls, I also had some 2x lumber scraps.  I was kind of proud at how little scrap I had.

I took the scraps to the campfire area and was amazed at the difference in how they burned.  The engineered stuff, expecially the I-joists, burnt like cardboard soaked in diesel.  Flames would jump up 5-6' from a 6" scrap.  The OSB web in the I-joist would get hot, the knockout holes would pop out, then it would quickly burn.  It would finish burning before the kiln-dried 2x6 scrap next to it had really caught on fire. 

I still like the engineered stuff, but the importance of smoke detectors, fire blocks, escape routes, etc. has just increased in my plans. 

Moderate Mark

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 10/30/2006

The resins used in the manufacturing of engineered wood certaining burn hotter than "regular" wood, however in the condition of a inside a wall or ceiling, engineered products tend to have a higher flash point.

Glulams will survive a fire and still be structural long after steel beams would have failed.

regardless of the construction materials smpke detectors are always added insurnace. Sprinkler systems are very good to have too, only add about $1.25/square foot of cost.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 11/26/2006

Your comments got me curious about what is in engineered wood products.

The resins they use to bond everything together make up 5-9 percent of the content, depending on whether it is laminated (glulams or microlams) or strand type products. What I found is that the material while fairly stable  and outgassed by the time it gets to the job site burning starts a new chemical release. And this is what you are exposing yourself to....Phenol Formaldehyde, Polymeric Diphenylmethane Diisocyanate and Paraffin wax.

So maybe its not a good idea to throw the stuff in the campfire, but it is okay to throw in the fireplace if adequate precautions are taken to prevent exposure to the  fumes and smoke.

Reply...

Bill's Forum Posts: 19

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bill in Seattle, WA on 12/26/2006

Right Dale, formaldehyde is what first came to my mind. Engineered wood is not green at all, IMHO. Now, steel is green. And is usually mostly recycled.
Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 12/26/2006

Bill we could argue the "green" angle of engineered wood products. And we would both be right. The USGBC considers it so, for now, because it reduces the demands on old growth forests and uses much of the waste commonly associated with timber harvesting.

Most steel available for construction is recycled and recyclable.

Nice part about steel framing besides nice straight walls, lighter than wood studs and doesn't shrink, is that when the wall needs to be modified you still have re-usable material, not kindling.

Reply...

Bill's Forum Posts: 19

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bill in Seattle, WA on 12/27/2006

True enough that engineered wood uses smaller branches, etc, which may otherwise be discarded in wood production. But I don't think 'reducing the waste in old-growth forests' is valid, as steel does that as well. IMHO trees are for growing, and not for building. Furthermore, formaldehyde, etc, absolutely does not belong in homes, most especially when there's a benign substitute that's even more sustainable (steel). Although habit and practice mean it's hardly used in homes.
Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 12/27/2006

I'm going to disagree with you about trees. Wood, not lumber, can be a very beautiful addition to a home and can be used as such. I agree there are many ways to build in this century that are far better than wood framing. Engineered wood is an improvement, but not usually the best solution.

Most people here on the forum are just trying to maximize the bang for their buck which too often results in short-term economics rather than longer term value.

Consider that the average home owner lives only 6.8 years in a house, it doesn't make sense to them to buy quality instead of quantity because their only profit is from inflated housing prices and inflation driven  "equity".

Reply...

Trevor's Forum Posts: 10

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Trevor in Bonaire, GA on 1/25/2007

Hi all, I am looking at wood replacements for exterior doors and windows. Any experiences with Royal Wood and how great are the differences with wood and their products... price durability, workability???

Trevor

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 1/25/2007

Welcome to our forum.

Not familiar with Royal Wood, except for the engineered trim. Have a link or other info you could share?

Reply...

Trevor's Forum Posts: 10

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Trevor in Bonaire, GA on 1/25/2007

Here is the URL for Royal Wood:

royal-wood.com

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.