NorthPoleHome North Pole, AK
38,637 Visits | 40 Posts | 177 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Timmy Weeks0.001
Steve0.002
James in Beaumont, TX0.002

I'm having fun building so far!!! Thanks for having the website and the book. You got me started.
AG in Colorado Springs

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

DirectBuy?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Pete's Forum Posts: 21

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Pete in Centreville, VA on 1/27/2007

Anybody have any experience with shopping through these people - good or bad?
Reply...

Michele's Forum Posts: 22

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michele in Stafford, VA on 1/27/2007

If you want a good idea about DirectBuy, do a search on the Internet. All the bad experiences are out there for the reading. I can't remember anymore the site I landed on, but it was a consumer-reporting type site, and there was nothing good there. Many people on the site said that they put down $5K and had all kinds of trouble. They said that the products you got to choose from were not necessarily recognized name brands. Many of the items have to be picked up at a freight terminal and there were very lengthy return processes.

It seemed to me that I could do better on eBay and just shopping around without an expensive commitment.

I talked to them a year ago, and I thought it was fishy that they told me that I would be expected to sign up the night of the first meeting or I could never join. If your system is so wonderful, then why are you afraid for someone to walk away and think about it? Reminds me of some of these fly-by-night timeshares. If it smells like a rat...

Reply...

Jennifer's Forum Posts: 17
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 68

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jennifer in Pueblo West, CO on 10/25/2007

I, too, have found only NEGATIVE stories about them.

Do you know any builders in your area, that would be willing to tell you their sources? I know two contractors, and one inspector (who also built his own home) who are willing to tell me where to shop, etc. For light fixtures, they actually got better deals at Lowe's than the "contractor only" lighting stores. I am moving two hours south of where they are all located, so none of them will be building my house -- but they have offered me their sources. You would be MUCH better off making "pals" with your plumber (buying refreshments for after the job is done helps sometimes, etc.) and asking them where the cheaper places are. Or, spending some time comparison shopping. It will pay off MUCH better than this type of scam.

Reply...

Jack's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jack in Martinsburg, WV on 2/28/2008

My wife and I saw Direct Buy at a home show. They gave us a card and we contacted them. It was a high-pressure sales pitch from the start. They wouldn't give us any information we could use over the phone but their website looked nice and we decided to take a day trip and drive the 90 miles to their "boiler room," er... I mean showroom!

We looked through all the nice displays and sat around a half hour until the next tour started. As I said, it was a high-pressure sales pitch. They gave all kinds of examples but I personally couldn't see any deals. You had to pay $5,000 to sign up for this bargain and, if I remember correctly, a yearly fee for the next few years that added almost another $5,000 to get this "sweet" deal! I asked a few questions and seemed to irritate the saleswoman giving the presentation. Of course, you had to buy today to get the deal. That's the first sign of a high-pressure sales deal.

Save your money and your time. It's very similar to a sales pitch at a timeshare company!

Jack

Reply...

Alice's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alice in Midland, TX on 4/8/2008

We didn't like the high-pressure sales pitch either. It really turned us off. I do like the idea of their company, but not enough to put up that kind of money without really knowing for sure if I will really save that kind of money.

Does anyone know of any similar company? Maybe there is a good alternative. If not, I'll be doing a lot of eBay shopping.

Thanks,

Alice

Reply...

Jamie's Forum Posts: 16
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 93

Private Message

Image from Jamie's blog

Login to Vote

By Jamie in Cedar Park, TX on 6/24/2008

We did not join Direct Buy, but we joined a similar company called American Direct. I have priced lighting, cabinets, appliances, electronics and various other products. For the most part, they couldn't beat prices I was able to find on the Internet, and when they did beat the prices, once you figured in the shipping and taxes, there were no savings. Total waste of money, as long as you are willing to shop around on the Internet. I hope to see some savings when it comes time to buy some furniture. This company does offer a money-back guarantee after two years if you don't save enough to cover the membership fee of $2K.

We got sucked in when they priced a fridge. Turns out their "price" had a decimal mistake...

Reply...

Karen's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Karen in Charlotte, NC on 7/4/2008

Just curious... I'm seeing a range of membership fees for the different DirectBuy locations. Does anyone know which location has the most inexpensive fees? I know the local showroom in my area is $5,000 to join. Any place less expensive?
Reply...

Jack's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jack in Martinsburg, WV on 7/4/2008

It was also $5,000 to join here, but I think that was only for one or two years. They then try to get you to join for more years for another $5,000 (I think that's what they said). That way they can say it "only" costs a "couple of dollars a day!"

Jack
Reply...

Karen's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Karen in Charlotte, NC on 7/4/2008

I know the initial $5,000 (or so) is just a one-time thing, then it's just a renewal rate after the first two or three years. (I had a friend who worked there at one time and that's what he told me.)

I'm trying to find the least expensive location to join to save a few dollars. I have heard that some of the locations in TX and OK are a little cheaper. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Reply...

Arne's Forum Posts: 48
Journal Entries: 2
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Arne in Houston, TX on 7/31/2010

I would be against any company that wants $5,000 to join and engages in timeshare high-pressure sales tactics. If their program is so great, they should have confidence enough to let a consumer make a thought-out buying decision.   

The Internet is a wonderful tool, you can do research, formulate what things you want, and manufacturers will tell you who their distributors are in your area.

In my own experience, if you act like a consumer, you will not get the builder deals. If you act like a business, the distributors will treat you as a business.

Some items like plumbing fixtures, you might be shocked to find out Lowe's or Home Depot are cheaper than the builder's supply.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.