854 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
thedaniels Graham, WA
914 Visits | 5 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
Cabin-Addition--Spra... Austin, TX
832 Visits | 1 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

Thanks. Your site has been a great help to me.
Carl Ingraham

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Direct Buy

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

kelly's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By kelly in kennedale, TX on 2/2/2007

Has anyone had experience with the company DirectBuy? If so, what was your experience? They state savings of 30%-50% on appliances, furniture, carpet, etc. I am wondering if this is accurate, and if so, can I still beat their prices with a little legwork?

Reply...

Paul 's Forum Posts: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Paul in Round Rock, TX on 2/10/2007

We have the same question and would be interested to hear what direction you go. We saw their booth at the Austin Home and Garden Show. Sounds good, but we are cautious because of some research we have done on the Web about them. This company really seems to be one that people either LOVE or they HATE them. We are cautious about the high pressure. You have to join on your first visit to them, the up-front cost, etc. We too wonder if you really save anything or if you do some legwork and get bids to find the same price since we have talked to two people who belong and they are split on this.

A guy I work with has a neighbor (I know, sorry for the friend of a friend thing) who belongs to them. I have talked to him and he loves it. They refurbed their kitchen and bought new appliances and also new bedroom furniture. However, another neighbor joined based on his neighbor's recommendation and didn't think it was worth it in the end. He felt there wasn't a great selection, you couldn't tell the quality from photos, the delivery times and he said he could have gotten better deals on the kitchen cabinets elsewhere.

Just some indirect input, like I said we would curious to know what you decide to do.

Reply...

Michael Penn's Forum Posts: 81
Journal Entries: 55
Interview Answers: 58

Private Message

My Construction Website

Michael Penn's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael Penn in Dripping Springs, TX on 2/10/2007

I don't know anything directly, but my guess about it based on what I know and what I read between the lines is this:

Whether Direct Buy will seem a good deal to you or seem a ripoff to you mostly depends on you.

If you have the time and are willing to do some legwork, and if you're comfortable negotiating for best price where feasible, you don't need Direct Buy, can do as well or probably better on your own, and you'd consider it a ripoff.

On the other hand, some people with less time or less inclination to shop aggressively for these kinds of items, might find that something like Direct Buy is worthwhile. 

Similarly, owner-building in general makes a lot of sense for some, but certainly not for others.

Reply...

Steven's Forum Posts: 14
Journal Entries: 4
Interview Answers: 21

Private Message

Image from Steven's blog

Login to Vote

By Steven in Sun City, CA on 3/21/2007

RE: DIRECT BUY,

Didn't mean to scream... My wife and I just recently signed up w/D.B.

We have only purchased one item. We were given a $25 coupon at the orientation meeting that was only good for that day, so we took advantage of it. (We have to start somewhere). We only saved 20% and had to pay for shipping on this item.

I DO NOT like to shop. I place a value on my time! My wife loves it... good thing. The shopping experience is different there. When I shop I do give a lot of attention to price/quality, and am somewhat of an impulsive shopper. My wife likes to sit (at Direct Buy you sit) and shop. I should say, she likes to take her time when she shops. But is not lazy... 110 lbs, same as at her graduation.

Anyway, at DB you sit and look through catalogs. I don't sit well for very long. You can shop some on the Internet, but you have to go to their store to buy the item you selected online. So, I shop on the Net and she will go and buy it! Done deal! Fortunately we have a location close by.

We sill be using this DB membership for our new construction. for sure on the flooring, windows, paint, fixtures, doors, appliances, cabinets, (they have a design center). You can bring your Home Depot printouts in. If they don't have to change anything, it's free. Otherwise it's a $300 hit for design for the first room and $175 for each room after that. We will save approx $12K on our cabinets alone. We will also be getting some installation with our purchases through DB. (We'll see). I am a building inspector by trade and maintain a database of contractors and tradesmen that accomplish good work and appear to have a good work ethic.

The initial cost to DB, I am not allowed to say, but is is somewhere between $5,998 - $6,000. Yeah, it's a hit! However, we expect to save in the use of their services. If any of this proves false, I'll be screaming for sure!

I need to go online to see if they offer PEX and ICF's...

sl

Reply...

Ray's Forum Posts: 10

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ray in LaPorte, TX on 3/26/2007

I really tried to justify spending the $6,000 fee to join the club, but I decided it was a stupid choice for my situation. I looked at the total picture and this is what I concluded: assume you are building your own home and you plan to use Moen fixtures and sinks as the example.

1. At DirectBuy the discount is 45%-50%. You pay the sales tax at 8%, a Direct Buy "Handling Fee" of 7%, the shipping fee to Direct Buy, another shipping fee to the job site if you can't get the boxes in your car, and $5 per box per day if you fail to pick up the material within five days. You take the fixture to your plumber and he installs the sink and faucet. If the product is defective, the plumber will pull the faucet and you can return it to Direct Buy and have them reorder. Time???

2. Buying Moen on the Web, you can find the products at 25% discount, no sales tax, no handling fee, and free shipping to your home if your order is large enough. They charge your credit card on the date of shipment and I have been told that Direct Buy charges the day you place your order.

3. Buying Moen products from your plumber using your plumber's account for these purchases. In the Houston area, the plumbers offers a 25% discount, no handling fee, no shipping fee. He picks up your choice of products, brings them to the job site and installs them. If the product is defective it's his responsibility to correct the problem. He warrants the product and the installation for one year. For paint, windows, doors, my friends who are members of the club tell me that the savings are just not in those products - however the savings on furniture, pool tables, etc. is excellent. 

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.