DCS
418 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
g4wowgwow
467 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
My1stOB Melbourne, FL
626 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

Enjoy the book, it helped us a lot, especially when it comes to planning and understanding all the things to consider.
Brett in Rhome, TX

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Cultured Stone

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Jill's Forum Posts: 39

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jill in Elizabeth, PA on 5/16/2006

Does anyone have any tips for installing cultured stone? Ours arrives Thursday, and I would appreciate any good pointers from those who have already done it and know!
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jill in Elizabeth, PA on 5/28/2006

Okay, so I am just going to answer my own question now for anyone who might be headed down this route, now that I have experience...

First, make sure the mortar is the right consistency, which is kind of like cake batter, but maybe a pinch wetter. The first time around we had three stones fall off, and I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown -- until we wet the mortar more, and then it was fine.

Next, make sure you put enough mortar on the wall and on the stone, and smash it flush to the wall, wiggle a little in all directions, and then wait like 25-30 seconds.  This part stinks, because you get impatient and want to go on, but for serious, wait the 25 seconds or so. This is where it pays to have entertaining friends around. 

Finally, however long you think this project is going to take, multiply that times about five! And get plenty of snacks, drinks, and beer for all the friends and family who are helping!

Ours looks like a million bucks (I'll try to post some photos tomorrow), and some of the tradespeople I spoke to were going to charge us between $5-$7 a square foot to install-YIKES. We probably got about 150-175 sq. ft. installed yesterday in about four hours with four of us. My husband and the "crew" he rounded up are going back today (I have to work!).

Reply...

Peter's Forum Posts: 68
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Peter in Gilford, NH on 5/29/2006

Hey Jill,

Please post photos. I'm going to put up 2.5 ft x 150 ft of cultured stone around my foundation. Any ideas on how long that might take?

Any other pointers you can give. 

Thanks,

Peter

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jill in Elizabeth, PA on 5/31/2006

I imagine that will probably take four or five days of about five hours of work each day with two people. 

If it is along the ground, bring some kind of cushion to sit on, like a gardener's knee pad or something, just to cushion your seat. Also, spray yourself with bug spray and spray the ground around it... it seems a lot of dang spiders hang out around the bottom of foundations!

Will post photos tomorrow :)

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jill in Elizabeth, PA on 6/10/2006

Well, that took more than a day to get the pics up, but sheesh, this house building thing is taking up a lot of time!

There are three of our cultured stone efforts, and one of the inside before the plastering was complete.

Reply...

Randy's Forum Posts: 98
Interview Answers: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Randy in Dunlap, TN on 6/11/2006

Jill,

Can you mention your costs for cultured vs. actual stone?

Randy

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jill in Elizabeth, PA on 6/11/2006

I didn't compare the costs, only because I had heard working with real stone was pretty difficult and heavy, and would probably require a mason. The cultured stone is much lighter, the color can be controlled more, and it is flat and really porous on the back, so it sticks much easier. Since we were going to do it ourselves, I wanted to get the best looking, yet easiest to work with. Our cost was about $5 for the flat rocks (per sq. ft.) and $6 for the corner pieces. Total for stone, sand, mortar, grout bags, and equipment for about 500 sq. ft. was $3,100.

Reply...

Randy's Forum Posts: 98
Interview Answers: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Randy in Dunlap, TN on 6/11/2006

Jill,

Thanks for the info, your stone looks great! Has anyone subbed cultured stone out lately? Just wondering what the going rates have been. Have a quote for actual stone work that's about $15 a square foot (very high-quality stonework), but wondering what cultured would cost to have it subbed.

Randy

Reply...

LaTanya's Forum Posts: 7
Journal Entries: 4
Interview Answers: 20

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from LaTanya's blog

Login to Vote

By LaTanya in Stafford, VA on 6/23/2006

Randy,

It sounds as if you are doing pretty well, because here in Stafford I got two quotes for cultured stone, for $18-$20 per sq. ft. I am going to keep looking, since it seems that I won't need it yet again for another two weeks.

Good luck!

Reply...

Alvin's Forum Posts: 30

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alvin in FL on 7/14/2006

I just finished my fireplace, which was my first project with cultured stone. Jill has it right. It takes at least five times longer than you think. It takes a lot of time selecting the stones that look good and fit correctly in the space. It especially takes longer if you are going for the dry-stacked look that has little if any space between the stones. Fit is very critical here. If you plan on having a wide mortar joint between the stones, shape and fit are not as critical.

If you are working an area that has to be reached by ladder, it will take 10 times longer than you think, since you have to climb up and down the ladder at least two times for every stone -- once to see if the stone you picked will fit, and then again after you apply mortar to it. Very rarely will you find the right stone that fits the space the first time. Plan on several trips up and down for each stone.

I too found that your mortar has to be mixed very, very wet or the stones fall off the wall. It needs to be so runny that it almost runs off the trowel. For some reason, this helps achieve the suction that is needed to hold the stones on.

It gets easier once you get the hang of it. Now I just need to figure out how to get me and all of the stones up on my steep metal roof in order to stone my chimney.

Below are a couple of pics.

Reply...

Eric's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Eric in johnson city, TN on 3/30/2007

Here in Tennessee, the really nice cultured stone (Centurion Stone) is $11 a square foot installed. A really good mason installing real stone is $21 a foot

Reply...

Texas Redneck's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Texas Redneck in Central TX, TX on 6/29/2008

Wow, I don't know where y'all live but those prices are outrageous! In Texas you can get stone for $75 and up per ton, covers about 35-40 sq feet. A good mason runs about $3 a foot. Plus sand, mortar and ties. Runs about $6 a foot. Real stone.

Don't know about cultured stone. It cost more per foot for materials but I think the labor is cheaper as its easier to install. ALWAYS best to source your own materials then sub out labor. Why have subs mark up materials that you can EASILY get yourself?

In these parts, cultured is not popular. Maybe because real stone is not that expensive, actually not much more than brick! I think the real reason is because fake stone ALWAYS looks like fake stone. I can spot it a mile away. Nice? Yes, but NOTHING beats the real McCoy. I hate fake stone. Actually hate fake anything!

Course, one advantage of fake stone (why call it cultured stone, its NOT cultured, its FAKE stone), is its light weight; thus less support is needed. Fake stone is OK, but it's just not for me.

Reply...

Scott's Forum Posts: 31
Interview Answers: 6

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Scott in Wanatah, IN on 9/10/2008

Alvin hit the nail on the head. We did a dry stack too, and it was a nightmare. We ordered 30% more stone to make this work, as every piece was super critical. We knew we were going to use the extra stone and then some on the outside, and we were lining the exterior of the chimney as well. Take your time. We actually drew a layout of the fireplace on the floor in front of the scaffold and my wife and kid laid them all out so they could hand them to me to fit up. It worked out fairly well, but a lot of work. Saved ourselves around $2,800 though. Good luck!

Reply...

Long's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Long in Sacramento, CA on 9/10/2008

Another thing you can do is buy a glue additive (it's milky white) that can be added to the mortar mix to get a stronger and better adhesion. 
Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 9/12/2008

If you are doing the type that requires filling between the stones -- I just found and purchased a grout gun made by Quikpoint. It attaches to a drill and has a hopper on top. If it ever quits raining, I'll let you all know how well it works.
Reply...

Tyler 's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tyler in Burlington, VT on 2/23/2010

To make mortar more sticky, add lime or thinset as a small percentage of your mix and your stones won't fall off the wall. Also, use metal lath behind the stones.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.