See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Timmy Weeks0.001
Steve0.002
James in Beaumont, TX0.002

Love your site.
Mike Patton

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Cost Per Sq. Ft. in Mesa-Chandler?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Kevin's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kevin in Mesa, AZ on 3/6/2007

I was wondering if anyone has done any recent owner builds in the Chandler or Mesa area, and if so, what was your cost to build per square foot without the land; and, what tasks did you perform yourself (painting, wiring,  landscaping, etc.)?  Thanks!  
Reply...

Justin's Forum Posts: 125
Journal Entries: 103
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 3/7/2007

Kevin,

Excellent question. I would like to know myself. I have a lot in Chandler and am in the research and planning stage right now. Given that the production homebuilders are back down below $100 per foot, and much less in the outlying locations, I would hope that an owner/builder could get their costs to $100 a foot with a nice (but not extravagant) finish. Maybe that's just my ideal thinking.

Where are you at in the process? Do you have a lot? Have you spoken with any designers/architects?

Our plan is to build a bigger home for our growing family and only do the more permanent upgrades (cabinets, baths etc.) now and upgrade for nicer flooring, veneer stone etc. as we go along. We will likely live in the home for 20+ years.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/7/2007

Welcome to the AZ forum.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kevin in Mesa, AZ on 3/20/2007

Thanks for the welcome, Dale!

Kevin

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kevin in Mesa, AZ on 3/20/2007

Justin, great to hear from you!  I'm not very obsessive about the internet, so it will probably be a while between my responses.  My wife and I currently live in Mesa.  We are thinking of selling our current home, pulling the equity, buying a lot in the East Valley (preferrably Gilbert or Chandler), and building our own home. 

My wife has been the builder on her last two homes (before our marriage), but it is new to me.  So, to be brief, we don't have a lot yet.  We feel very confident that we can build a home at a good rate.  I've laid much of the stone and hardwood in our current home (plus flagstone outside);  did the upgraded finish carpentry; crown molding, sprinklers, house painting, etc.  My wife does stained and cut glass work, and custom wall finishes (She painted murals in both Randy Johnson and Matt William's houses).  A cousin does drywall and our neighbor is a framer.  I think I could learn the do part of the electric (wall sockets, ceiling fans, lights, etc.) and part of the plumbing (installing toilets sinks and faucets, etc.)  My wife did no work at all on the last two homes she built and still saved about seventeen percent being her own builder.  Our goal is to build and sell every two years for the next six years and live in the last one free and clear.

We've spoken to no designers or architects yet, but on our current home, my wife used an architect she knew.  She went to him with the general design all laid out.  She got four sets and plans.  She can't remember what she paid but she thinks it was $2000 or less since she had everything all laid out and had specified everything.  Remember, she also knew the guy.

Don't know if any of this is of interest, but it was nice to hear from you!  Kevin 

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/20/2007

I had a client several years ago with similar goals. They figured that after six O-B homes they would have a free-and-clear $1M house and a mill in the bank. Last time I talked with them they were running behind time-wise but money-wise were ahead of schedule and getting ready to buy their fourth lot.

Reply...

Justin's Forum Posts: 125
Journal Entries: 103

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 3/20/2007

"But money-wise we're ahead of schedule..."

Anyone with an investment in real estate in 2005-2006 should be ahead of schedule, because the values went up so much. Hopefully they haven't gone back down as much.

Kevin - Sounds like you have a good start. We do have a lot but have a good offer on it, so we might sell and look for another. A few friends of mine had a 5-acre piece that they were looking at in Gilbert. It would make four 1.25-acre lots and we all would build on one. I don't know what you are looking for in a lot, but we have been looking the past year and more recently as we will likely be buying another.

If you want to get together and chat sometime, I would like it. My thought is that if we can schedule homes to be going up close together and near the same time we can contract out the work and bid both jobs. Hopefully we could get a discount because it would be two homes instead of just one. Don't know if it will work, but I wanted to try.

I also work in land development so lot splits, planning and zoning and all that is right up my alley. I work for a family firm who also has a GC license so I will use the license when it benefits me (getting a loan, contractor discounts, etc.) but for the most part I will be doing all the work outside of my 6-3 workday.

Hopefully we can share sub lists, bid quotes and all that jazz.

Shoot me a PM.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.