NorthPoleHome North Pole, AK
38,626 Visits | 40 Posts | 177 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Timmy Weeks0.001
Steve0.002
James in Beaumont, TX0.002

We have been designing the house ourselves for about a year, and just handed our floor plan design over to an architect about a month ago. About that same time we purchased The Owner-Builder Book. Smartest thing we ever did. It really got us fired up. I read it cover to cover in about three days.
Mike in Marion, OH

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Construction Journals

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Editor

Jeff's Forum Posts: 147
Interview Answers: 212

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 1/28/2007

Please let us know what you like/don't like about the Construction Journals.
Reply...

Michael Penn's Forum Posts: 81
Journal Entries: 55
Interview Answers: 58

Private Message

My Construction Website

Michael Penn's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael Penn in Dripping Springs, TX on 4/28/2007

I'm having no luck posting a file or attaching a file to my journal/blog.  Don't get any error messages--it's just that when I submit and then look at the post, there's no attachment, no sign of the file.

It may be something simple--often simple things trip me up online.

The specific things I'm trying to post are pdf's of my house plans.  I see these on journals, but I've tried repeatedly to no avail.

Could it possibly be this function isn't working presently?

Do pdf files have to be modified to load?

What is the size limit for files?

If the size limit might be the problem, how can I reduce the size of my pdf's in order to load them.

Is there a way to change the pdf file to a "photo" so that it can be more easily viewed for quick browsing?

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

By Michael Penn in Dripping Springs, TX on 4/28/2007

Well, that's interesting.

Just for the hell of it, I tried to attach a pdf file to the previous post here, just like I've been consistently unable to attach to my journal post, but it worked fine here.

Why the difference there (on my journal)??

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

By Michael Penn in Dripping Springs, TX on 5/15/2007

Currently (circa 5/15/07) there's a flaw in the list of links to the Construction Journals--the list on the left of the screen on the webpage.  All of the links to Journal names that are truncated (the longer names that don't show in full on the list, and end with ...) DON'T WORK.  I fixed mine so that it now works, by changing my name to a shorter one, from PennsmithLostValleyTX  to LostValleyTX.  But that's not an ideal solution, because now anybody who tries to use a link I've previously sent them, will find it goes nowhere.

More importantly, a good many sites are not accessible, and probably nobody's aware their site is "down" so to speak.

Reply...

Editor

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 5/16/2007

Fixed.  Thank you for letting us know.  Feel free to change your journal name back.

Reply...

Brian's Forum Posts: 23
Journal Entries: 29
Interview Answers: 50

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Brian's blog

Login to Vote

By Brian in Dexter, MI on 7/27/2007

I am having a hard time updating my blog. When I want to go back and make a change to an existing entry, it creates a duplicate entry with no pictures or files attached. It takes me about 10 minutes to create another duplicate with the atached files, then delete the old ones. It also seems very slow to respond (somtimes a minute or more), even when I do not attach files.
Reply...

Editor

Mark's Forum Posts: 153
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Provo, UT on 9/6/2007

Brian:

How is it now?

Mark

Reply...

Bob's Forum Posts: 32
Journal Entries: 61
Interview Answers: 21

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Bob's blog

Login to Vote

By Bob in New Florence, PA on 9/6/2007

Numerous times while trying to post a large amount of photos, they don't show up, and I get an error message. This doesn't happen every time, but most of the time. It is very frustrating after you do all that work and try and show everyone and it doesn't work.
Reply...

Jamie's Forum Posts: 16
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 93

Private Message

Image from Jamie's blog

Login to Vote

By Jamie in Cedar Park, TX on 9/8/2007

I could not get a .pdf file to load to my journal either, I finally just took a picture of the plans and posted the pictures. Unfortunately you can't zoom in and inspect a picture like you can a .pdf file.
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Bob's blog

Login to Vote

By Bob in New Florence, PA on 10/13/2007

I can't get any files to load in my journal either. I have tried Word documents and Excel spreadsheets and neither will load. It acts like it loaded; then when you go back and try to view it, it's not there.
Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 15
Interview Answers: 40

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Fredericksburg, VA on 10/20/2007

Unless I'm missing it somewhere, how about the ability to show the blog entries oldest first and newest last rather than the other way around?  For a blog that you have been following and just need to read the latest entry, the current way works.

But if you start reading a new, well-posted blog, you have to go to near the end, read the last post, then scroll back up to find the next post, then read down again, repeat until you make it to the top.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Bob's blog

Login to Vote

By Bob in New Florence, PA on 11/7/2007

One issue that I see and it's just my opinion, but the journals are posted in order of views that they get. I'd like to see them listed from the most recently updated to the oldest, like a chronological order. I see a lot of these that people start and don't finish or fail to update and you click on them and they don't change for months. I think there is a lot of good information and ideas in some of them but it is very time-consuming when you click on the same ones over and over again and they never change. A journal may have 5,000 views but hasn't been updated in 8 months. I'd rather see one that has 500 views that was updated yesterday.

**NOTE*** I found the answer to my question for any of you with a similar question. If you go on the left-hand site navigation and look at Statistics and click journal entries it lists them in chronological order. Great feature, just didn't know how to use it... lol

Reply...

Justin's Forum Posts: 125
Journal Entries: 103
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 11/20/2007

I am having the same problem. Jeff, what is the procedure for uploading documents? I am trying to upload PDFs with no success.
Reply...

Editor

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 11/20/2007

The steps that work for me are:
1.  Click on the "Add a file" button
2.  Click on the "Browse" button that appeared
3.  Select the file
4.  Submit the journal entry

Reply...

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 11/20/2007

I have done that several times but to no avail with my PDF. I converted my PDF to a JPG and was able to then upload it as a picture but because the pictures can't be zoomed in that well it's hard to see the plan up close.

See link below. You'll see the JPGs but when I tried to add a file or even tried to upload the PDF via the photo upload button nothing works.

http://www.ownerbuilderbook.com/user/entry.aspx?ID=1865

Reply...

Editor

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 11/21/2007

I just want to make sure, but in your latest reply you said that you used the "photo upload button" which would not work for a PDF.  You would need to use the File upload button.  A PDF isn't considered an image even though it may contain images.

We have a task to simplify this so that there is only one way to upload images or files, but I'm not sure when we'll get to it.

Reply...

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 11/21/2007

I did try the file upload and for kicks tried the image upload. Whatever I could to get it to work. But nothing seemed to work out for me. I look forward to the single use feature - or even an improved file upload so I can share PDFs. I have also heard of people having trouble with .xls and .doc in the Journal too.

Reply...

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 11/21/2007

Somehow I can upload my pdf here but it doesn't on the journals.
Reply...

Private Message

Justin's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Justin in Chandler, AZ on 11/27/2007

Another problem is with the commenting. See the post: http://www.ownerbuilderbook.com/blogs/post.aspx?ID=1841

I received a comment, apparently from S.A. in Grass Valley CA. I thanked her for the tip but when I posted the comment, it used S.A. in Grass Valley CA as the poster even though I had written the comment. Today a new comment was left and again S.A. was the recorded poster but given the content I bet that it wasn't S.A. but someone else. For some reason the first commenter's identity was being used for the other commenters.

I don't know if this is a post specific problem or an across the board problem.

I started my own blog to track the process but ended up coming back here to allow OB's to access my blog easier. With the problems of uploading pdf's and other documents as well as commenter's identities not being accurate, I wonder if I shouldn't go back to blogspot.

I would hope these problems get fixed to allow OBs to share their experience without such difficulties. It will add excellent content to the site but if it is a hassle bloggers such as me wouldn't post as often and include attachments.

Reply...

Jerry's Forum Posts: 29
Journal Entries: 27
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Image from Jerry's blog

Login to Vote

By Jerry in Lee's Summit, MO on 12/8/2007

I had the same problem last Thursday when my journal entry showed a comment from S.A. in Grass Valley CA and the person who really commented had no idea how it happened.  Today I realized the journal entry has disappeared completely.  Please help...
Reply...

Editor

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 12/9/2007

The problem with comments being attributed to S.A. has now been corrected.  As for the missing post, I'm not sure what happened.  What did the post say?  I need something I can use to look for it.

Thanks
Reply...

Private Message

Image from Jerry's blog

Login to Vote

By Jerry in Lee's Summit, MO on 12/14/2007

Jeff, I sent you a PM a few days ago with some info on the journal entry.  In the mean time I went ahead and generated a new post on Wed. entitled 'Front Door & Drywall'.  Everything looked fine yesterday, but this morning...(poof)...the entry has disappeared again!  Is this happening to anyone else?

Needless to say my frustration level is very high right now...

Reply...

Editor

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 12/14/2007

We were looking for it last night and couldn't find any record of it.  We even checked the emails that we get when when someone posts and couldn't find one.  I'll see if Mark got the one you did on Wed.  If he has it, I can restore it.

Reply...

Editor

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 12/14/2007

Ok, I found it, I'll restore it later today.  I'll also put in a little tracking to see how this is being deleted.  Sorry about everything...

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Jerry's blog

Login to Vote

By Jerry in Lee's Summit, MO on 12/15/2007

Jeff, thanks for taking care of this so quickly.  The journal entry is back up now.
Reply...

Cheryl's Forum Posts: 12
Interview Answers: 66

Private Message

Image from Cheryl's blog

Login to Vote

By Cheryl in Ft. Collins, CO on 9/26/2009

Hi Jeff,

I updated my construction Journal yesterday but today the link to my entry does not show in my blog. But here is the funny thing, if you hit the Construction Journal link at the top of the page where you can see all the recently updated journals it shows up there. I guess I could copy and paste it back into another entry but then it would be in your DB twice and could cause problems. Like getting reposted in the recently updated construction Journal list. I'm sure it's just a matter of a missing link to it, because it's hanging out in your DB like it should. So can you put my journal entry link back into my journal for my last post? 

Thanks, Cheryl

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Cheryl's blog

Login to Vote

By Cheryl in Ft. Collins, CO on 9/26/2009

On second thought I think I somehow have two construction journals. I thought the account was keyed off my email address but in both of the journals my email address is the same. I did make my journal entry from a different computer yesterday as I was at work and maybe this has caused the problem. Thing is my first journal entry was there when I went to add a second so I know I was in the construction journal I originally started. Something just isn't syncéd up. 
Reply...

Editor

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 9/26/2009

It looks like you used 2 different email addresses.  An MIL address and an MSN.  I can combine the users into one, which would you prefer?
Reply...

Private Message

Image from Cheryl's blog

Login to Vote

By Cheryl in Ft. Collins, CO on 9/28/2009

Thanks Jeff,  please combine into the MSN address.
Reply...

Angela's Forum Posts: 21
Journal Entries: 11
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Image from Angela's blog

Login to Vote

By Angela in Fort Worth, TX on 10/16/2009

Is there a way to delete a file/picture while editing a post? I don't see a button to do it, it just keeps adding new ones when I try to replace it. So then I have to delete the whole post and start over, but it takes awhile to delete the old posts leaving those pictures up that I accidentally put up with our full names on them.

Thanks so much!
Angela

Reply...

Mark's Forum Posts: 19
Journal Entries: 39
Interview Answers: 68

Private Message

Image from Mark's blog

Login to Vote

By Mark in Altoona, PA on 3/16/2010

Is there a way to save or print your journal? Also how can I edit my journal's title?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply...

Editor

Mark's Forum Posts: 153
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Provo, UT on 4/27/2010

Mark:

After you sign into the site, you'll see "User Tools" in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Click on "Your Blog" and you'll see the block that allows you to revise the name of your blog. Also, you'll see the button that allows you to print your blog as one continuous report or book. It makes a PDF customized for you.

Mark

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.