movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Hello everyone! Wow, what a site! I have read, and read, and then read some more! You all are an inspiration and an incredible wealth of information!
Donna in Wimauma, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Concrete Counters Going In

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/18/2009

Today we started our concrete counters and were very lucky to find both the melamine for the forms and the concrete on sale at Menards! We have over 125 square feet of counters to do, so it was quite a savings. We were able to get 50 square feet mixed and poured in about two hours. We had built the forms last weekend. Altogether, we are spending about $400 in materials and we already owned the mixer. We plan to acid stain to match our stained floors and then coat with a penetrating sealer and beeswax. So far looks good - we'll see what happens when we strip the forms in a couple of days! Just wanted to post for anyone who is looking for a very cost-effective alternative to granite.
Reply...

Rachal's Forum Posts: 79
Journal Entries: 31
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 10/21/2009

Was this your first go at concrete counters?  I've been considering doing concrete but am concerned about my lack of experience.  Is it as easy as the DIY shows make it look?

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/21/2009

We cast ours in place because I didn't want seams. Building the molds was

fairly easy for anyone with basic carpentry skills.  I have a guy that does concrete finishing that helped out, but finishing it wasn't very hard.

I stripped the molds yesterday and their are a few little air pockets that formed on the edges; but I bought a product called Concrete Swipe and you make a slurry with it and fill in any small voids. Then you sand everything smooth with a hand sander.  I am lucky to have a great supplier nearby and he has great products. 

I will try and post some pictures when it's all finished. I think you could definitely handle it. If you are concerned. do a 2'x6' slab and see how it comes out.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/25/2009

I am about halfway through all the countertops. I did a desk area in the great room that I am posting a photo of. I taped off the wall behind and the acid-based stain reacted with the tape and damaged the wall behind.  I will be able to just repaint, so it wasn't too bad. Other than that, everything went pretty well. I also did a pantry area and my kitchen. I did roughly 130 square ft of countertop. The 80 lb bags of concrete were $4 per bag and we ended up using 50 bags. We purchased about $50 worth of lumber and $30 in trowels. I had leftover acid stain from my floors, which I used for the counters. 
Reply...

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 10/26/2009

Did you have experience with this work?  Can you recommend a good resource for learning about it?  You're the bomb, Faye!

Rachal

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/26/2009

Thanks Rachal,

No, we didn't have experience, just did a lot of research. There are several good sites online: (Concrete Network, Ron Hazelton, Natural Handyman). Use these keywords with concrete countertops and you should find a lot of information.  For the desk countertop especially, we used rebar for extra support and plywood as the base.  We used commercial-grade 5,000 psi concrete mix.  Do some research and then if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. I'm getting ready to pull the molds from my kitchen, so I will post pictures of them in a few days.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/31/2009

Here are some close-ups of the kitchen counters after staining. We have just cleaned them at this point, and are going to coat them with a high-gloss two-part epoxy next.  It should both make them look good and protect them also.
Reply...

Private Message

Image from Rachal's blog

Login to Vote

By Rachal in Janesville, CA on 11/1/2009

I showed the pictures to my husband and said "Faye built these".  He asked how you did it and I explained the process.  I am very impressed with the way they turned out!  I don't know why I was imagining something much less stunning.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 11/1/2009

Rachal, 

Just finished the two-part epoxy and snapped some more pictures. Once this cures, I will cut out the sink holes and start installing the sinks and faucets. We are very happy with the way the came out and very happy with the price!

Reply...

Cheryl's Forum Posts: 12
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 66

Private Message

Image from Cheryl's blog

Login to Vote

By Cheryl in Ft. Collins, CO on 11/1/2009

Faye, Your countertops look fantastic! How did you stain it to get that pattern? Thank you for the inspiration; now I will definitely have to try this. I like the idea of a countertop in the pantry too, I have never had a large pantry, so I hadn't really thought of a counter in there but it sure would be useful. I would imagine the two-part epoxy would make a very durable surface. How did you mix and apply it to avoid bubbles?

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 11/1/2009

Cheryl,

We poured the stain directly onto the concrete and then spread it around with a paint brush, making sure to get everything. We waited a couple of hours and then came back and just poured the stain in puddles and just let it sit.  I plan to also do a BBQ/bar area on my patio next year and will do another one.  The epoxy really deepens the colors, and I really like the high-gloss look; but yes, it is also very durable.

We mixed it in fairly small quantities and used a hair dryer for any air bubbles. We didn't get too many bubbles, fortunately. It is also very helpful to have another set of hands. My husband ran the hair dryer while I applied the epoxy. I call the room my pantry, but it's kind of an all-purpose room - it has two freezers, a sink and a built-in convection oven.

Reply...

Dionne's Forum Posts: 14
Journal Entries: 4
Interview Answers: 61

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dionne in Omaha, NE on 11/7/2009

Faye,

They are beautiful, I'm very impressed with the fluid patterning you got. We've decided to do some concrete countertops also and I'm very encouraged by your results :-)

Dionne

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 11/7/2009

Thanks Dionne,

I also should mention that we did not dilute the stain with water because we wanted a very dark shade. Most stains are concentrated, and are diluted prior to application. We also have 2,000 square feet of stained concrete floors and have used two different brands of stain. We used Kemiko first, and were not very happy with the results. If I can answer any questions - let me know. Good luck with your project.    Faye

Reply...

Trudy's Forum Posts: 13
Journal Entries: 3
Interview Answers: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Trudy in Jacksonville, FL on 5/26/2010

Faye,

The counters are a work of art. We have recently done a concrete counter for our bathroom vanity, but I have not found a brand of stain I like. Would you share the brand and color you used? What brand of epoxy did you go with? Also, the reading I did said to use forms for the sinks and faucets; is this what you did? If not, how did you cut them out later? We are going to do a cast-in-place counter in the kitchen this weekend. Do you have any tips to make sure everything is level? I have heard this is the hardest part.

Thanks,

Trudy

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 5/26/2010

Trudy,

I used stains from a local supplier and cannot remember the brand name. I know my supplier used to sell on eBay, but I'm not sure if they still do. The epoxy was purchased at Menards. It is the only brand they carry.

My counters were cast in place. We built the molds on top of the cabinets. The sink cutouts were just 2x4's that were nailed down on the plywood, the same size and shape of each sink. My sinks had the holes for the faucets, so I didn't need to do separate knockouts for the faucets.

We made sure to use a level to check that the edges or sides of the mold were level. Then when we screeded the concrete - it came out level. The hardest part for us was the epoxy. It is very difficult to get it spread out evenly on a large area. You need to work very quickly and make sure to mix very well. I would suggest doing a thin coat and let it dry well. Then if you are not satisfied, you can always add another thicker coat. Good luck - Faye

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.