545 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
gypsyhillfarm East Petersburg , PA
1,167 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Our-log-home Thomaston, GA
1,057 Visits | 2 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

I'm an engineer and have been working on other projects. The Owner-Builder Book website is some good reading, though.
Darrell from Marietta, GA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
Moderated by James in Anchorage, AK
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Clearing the Way!

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Jeffrey Roy's Forum Posts: 11
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 31

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Jeffrey Roy's blog

Login to Vote

By Jeffrey Roy in Tok, AK on 6/12/2006

Hello everyone, ...just thought I'd let you all know that I just started to clear an area into our property for our custom/dream log home here in Tok, Alaska.  We continue to change our minds on exactly how we want to build our home, but thank goodness for all of the tips and excellent information that has come from this web site, as it has made making the changes pretty much stress free.  Plus, it does help to know that we still have over two years before we actually start breaking ground.  We have agreed on erecting our garage/shop first (approx. 32x40) and utilizing it as we build our log home.  We may even live in it for the duration while we finish the inside.  More to come... bye!

Jeff and Debbie

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

By Jeffrey Roy in Tok, AK on 2/7/2007

Well, it's been over six months and I thought I'd share a few photos of the land.  Right now, we have around a foot and a half of snow covering the property.  I could go in and clear some more trees, but I am going to wait until March or April, after I finish some course distance classes I am taking.  I hope you enjoy these pics. 

Jeff & Debbie

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

Some more for your pleasure ... these were all taken perhaps a few days before we got our first good snowfall.  We normally get it in the first week of October, but we were blessed with an additional three weeks of Fall ... more pics to come.

Jeff

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

A few more, will probably start the "official" construction journal later, not sure when, but we'll have one...

Jeff

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

And the last couple of photos. I think I'll start the journal later this spring, after I can get back out there on the property.  I didn't realize until today, that there are not many people from Alaska contributing on this website... maybe because most everyone has already built their homes and didn't know about the help one could get from this site. Oh well, their loss...

Jeff

Reply...

James's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Anchorage, AK on 3/10/2008

I just stumbled on this site and it looks interesting.  Am planning on building in about 4 years in Wasilla. Wall type is still undecided. I like ICF but if the cost is too high may go with a alternate.  SIP, Offset Stud or Mooney. Not sure until I get closer to build time.  I am at this time also planning a "frost protected shallow foundation" or insulated slab on grade with radiant in floor heat.

Just attended Professor Rich Seifert's four hour class on "cold climate home remodel" Very well worth the time.   Looking forward to his 8-hour class on energy efficient home building in arctic climates this spring.

I forgot to ask what type of construction are you planning?  In Tok I suspect either log or double wall stick?

Jim 

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

By Jeffrey Roy in Tok, AK on 3/10/2008

Hi Jim, thanks for the interest ... My wife and I are going to build our shop/garage first and then live in it while we build our "dream home."  In Tok, most people have built using logs, though a few have gone the traditional stick method.  Our shop will be a 36' x 48' on a radiant slab using 8" milled tongue-n-groove  D style logs from Dry Creek Logging & Milling Associates.  Their product is local white spruce, kiln-dried and the corners are notched! They use a new computer program that directs the mill to cut the lengths precisely, and labels them and then they are stacked according to a building schedule, ensuring the that the logs on top of the stack are your first course on the bottom.  Makes for easy construction... and a very great product, well worth the money. 

Many in Tok have used the older butt and pass method, but Dry Creek has perfected their "notching" corners and it provides a much stronger corner.  We'll start this spring on the foundation and getting the underground plumbing and septic in.  I had power brought in to the site last fall, and all that's left is to trench the power line from the pole to the foundation site, approximately 150 ft.

We hope to have the foundation finished along with the septic in and power in by fall and then come next spring, the logs will be delivered and up, with the roof and other stuff done by mid summer '09.  Then we will work on the inside and hopefully take a bit of break by then.  Stay tuned.

Reply...

James's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Anchorage, AK on 3/12/2008

That's great! Hope all goes well.  Sounds like it should.  That's a
huge shop. BTW have you had time to look at the frost protected
shallow foundation information?  Seems to me to be the way to go for any structure that is not going have a basement.

I saw a mention on another post about a big German built CNC that
would cut timbers for Post and Beam buildings so I assume that
something similar could be set up to do the logs as well.

Will you be furring out the inside of the house to accept additional insulation? In a 15K degree heat area will logs alone offer enough insulation to be able to economically heat that large of structure?

Are you going to go with a external wood fired boiler?  Had a Dr.
friend who ran into a host of problems doing that up by Knik this last
winter when we were -20+ for several weeks.  Apparently he had pump problems and his system froze up. Not sure how well he was maintaining it or how well his lines were insulated.

Our dream home is around 2K sq.ft. with a two car garage and a second two car size attached shop for my wood working.  IF we build, a lot will depend in four years if I can get enough out of my present home and stay employed until then.

Good luck and send pictures.

Jim

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.