1,830 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
1860s-Texas-rehabnew... Boerne, TX
45,859 Visits | 44 Posts | 191 Pix | 0 Videos
Bladenkirk White Oak, NC
1,949 Visits | 6 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

Thanks for your website and sharing your knowledge!
Penny-Paige M., Mandeville, LA

25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

William's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By William in Redmond, OR on August 1

There's a great place here to buy cabinets, and they have a factory outlet area where they put their mistakes, and we have paid 20 cents on the dollar there. Diamond Cabinets in Portland.
Reply...

Jake's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jake in CA on December 5

Hello, I have been unable to find a phone listing for Diamond Cabinets in Portland. I checked both Portland Oregon and Mass. Do you know how I can contact this company? Thanks, Jake
Reply...

Editor

Mark's Forum Posts: 152
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Mark's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Provo, UT on March 20

The correct name of the cabinet company is Cabinet Factories Outlet. They have Oak, Alder, Maple, a few designs in each. Phone 503.241.4964. Address 4305 N.W. St. Helens Rd., Portland, OR 97210 Fax them a floor plan; they will even do a design of what you have using the cabinets they have. Just say how many feet, and whether there are drawers, etc.
Reply...

Darrel's Forum Posts: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Darrel in Plain City, UT on March 20

Following your discussion on Factory Cabinet Outlets, they have a website: cabinetoutlet.com. The website has kitchen-planning helps and lists their other locations. Should be a useful asset.
Reply...

Barry's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barry in Warren, OH on December 9

There is a KraftMaid cabinets returns warehouse in Lordstown, Ohio. Almost all wall cabinets and base cabinets are $70 apiece. It can be a pain to get all of what you need in your finish and door style, but worth it. Open on Saturdays and the line of cars and trucks is a mile long at 5:30 in the morning. They also have whole kitchens that people have returned (usually at Lowe's, Home Depot) at $100 a cabinet.
Reply...

Barry's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barry in Willowick, OH on January 7

I have also shopped the KraftMaid outlet store. What a rat race! You have to get in a line at 5:30 am for a 7 am door opening, also getting a ticket number as you enter. Really worth it, though. We bought our vanities at $70 each. Cabinet bases and wall units are same price. My pots and pans drawer tray/pull-outs were $2 each. These retail at Home Depot for $60 each. Nearly done on my house, too. Very uplifting knowing the "dime saved/dollar earned" formula. Each time I get tired and start to think about slowing down or get depressed, I stop and think how this will increase my net worth and financial independence. This is a very powerful psychological driving force. It feels like a shot of adrenaline.
Reply...

Gina's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Gina in Alderson, WV on January 26

I am interested in trying to go to the KraftMaid warehouse - do you have any specific info about the outlet? Do you have an address or phone number, or the name of the outlet? We will probably travel up from WV to go soon, as we are breaking ground in March :) Thanks for any help! -Gina
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barry in Warren, OH on January 29

Gina, KraftMaid's returns outlet is at 5232 Tod Ave.S.W. in the Ohio Commerce Park. Look on your map at S.R. 45 in between Warren and Lordstown; that's the road.

Phone number 440.632.2106; they have an instructional message.

They are open every Saturday except holiday weekends from 7 to 2.

Here's the deal: it's super competitive to get in the door in the first wave. The builders will have half a dozen employees each tagging almost everything they can.They bring huge trailers and buy-- say everything honey spice oak, and then just store them until they have sets.

You put your name on cabinets you want, get an employee to write them up, pay for them and then get a worker to wheel them to the dock. It helps to have more than one person to watch your stuff so others don't take it. Know your finish and door style and exactly what sizes you need. If you see it, pounce.Your first visit is always disorienting, but if you're hungry enough and learn the system, you can save a TON.

Many people are there week after week trying to get what they need. I ended up buying my larger base cabinets at Lowe's, but I got all of my wall cabinets and a few three-drawer bases at the warehouse. All of their moldings and accessories are there too. Solid oak, prefinished crown moldings were two bucks for 8 feet.

Good luck if you try it.

Barry

Reply...

Gina's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Gina in Alderson, WV on January 29

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate your giving the heads up on what goes on; sounds like I would've been completely confused! I think we are definitely going to try this outlet. We are trying to get all the bargains we can. Have you come across any other outlet-type deals? It sounds as if you have finished at least one owner-builder project.

Thanks again :)
Reply...

Rhonda's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Rhonda on October 16

Gina:

I would be interested to know if you made it to the KraftMaid cabinet return center in Ohio. We are going Saturday and wondered if you had a good experience. We are just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Any information you could share we would greatly appreciate.

Reply...

Bruce's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bruce on December 15

Does anyone know of a good source for kitchen cabinets such as a factory outlet store in the northeast USA? Looking for one similar to the one discussed in this forum at KraftMaid in Ohio where they sell returns, etc.
Reply...

Karen's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Karen in Cleveland, OH on January 14

Good afternoon. I am planning to go to the KraftMaid outlet store in Lordstown this weekend, but I've been unable to find an address, or map. Would you happen to have this information? Thanks in advance.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barry in Warren, OH on January 14

Go to Maps.com, click on "find address", type in 5232 Tod Ave. S.W. Lordstown, Ohio. There's a Lordstown exit on the Ohio Turnpike.

[Editor Note: The KraftMaid Personnel office in Middlefield (440.632.5333) provided the new address as 3418 Elm Rd. NE, Warren, OH 44483 Google Satellite shows Burger King, Panera Bread, Ponderosa Steakhouse, KFC, and Pizza Hut within a few hundred yards. The Cortland Walmart is .2 miles away. 7 Jan 2011]

Reply...

Connie's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Connie in UT on January 22

Darrel,

You seemed to know about the cabinet factory in CA and OR. I am wondering if anyone has used them? Also, how did it turn out? We will start in Aug. in Syracuse, UT. Wondering if a trip to Disneyland might get a deal on cabinets on the side? Kids like the idea. Just curious if anyone has used these in the kitchen or bath areas. I have been to the site and it shows options, but I can't tell if its a hit and miss kind of deal or order what you want?
Reply...

Connie's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Connie in UT on January 22

Any outlet or deals in the Utah area? We aren't going to start for 6 months, but if you have to stash and dash... I'll start now.  Any help is great.

Thanks, Connie
Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Tallmadge, OH on February 7

Barry, can you give some information on how you pay for items at the KraftMaid Lordstown return warehouse? Is it cash only, checks, credit cards accepted, etc.?
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barry in Warren, OH on February 7

Jim, I never tried writing a check; I always used my credit card. If you plan on going, you might want to call them anyway, because I've heard they have a lottery system to get in the door now. I don't know all the particulars, just that people were getting too nutty trying to get in first and they had to do something.
Barry
Reply...

Lori J's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lori J in Hockingport, OH on February 9

Karen, wanted to know if you went to the KraftMaid outlet store in January. We built our home two yrs. ago and saved a bundle there. We are now ready to tackle building a bar in our game room and are considering making another trip to the KraftMaid outlet, but have heard things have really changed. Do you know if they are still open every Saturday or if it's now only one Saturday per month?
Reply...

Jason's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jason in Geneva, IL on February 26

I'm building next spring, but recently remodeled my kitchen. I ordered my KraftMaid cabinets through Encore Kitchens based in FL. Saved at least $1,500 and they were delivered right to my door. Find a way to figure out your cabinet schedule, then fax it down. The way they are ordered, assembled and delivered is no different than going through Home Depot. Encore is just willing to work for a lower spread. Happy shopping.

Reply...

Julius's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Julius on February 27

We also used Encore to buy our KraftMaid cabinets. I had heard that they were having some problems with delivery times and closed down to reorganize. From the date of your post, I guess they made it back. We saved a lot of money going through them and got the kitchen that we could not afford through Home Depot. Would do it again.
Reply...

Joel's Forum Posts: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Joel in Lincoln, NE on February 28

You can go to the KraftMaid website and put together your choices, print them out, and fax them to your distributor of choice. You can pick the type of wood, finish, door pulls and knobs, extra features, the whole deal - and print out a list that you can fax to an online place or take to a local store. Makes it easy to shop for bids when everyone is pricing the same list.

kraftmaid.com

Joel Z

Reply...

Connie's Forum Posts: 46

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Connie in Syracuse, UT on March 4

My husband is worried about going through the Internet for cabinets and flooring... how many of you went this route and what was your result? Saving $$ is great if you still get the product you want. If you order from one of these outlets, will Home Depot still service if you have a problem?

Connie
Reply...

John's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John on March 12

Hey Jim, Did you have any luck at the KraftMaid outlet? Can you tell me anything about the process and what I can expect? We are adding on to our home and I have a kitchen and a bath to purchase cabinets for.

Reply...

John's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John on March 17

Hi! I'm trying to find out any information I can on this process. What days is it? What time does it open? Once you get in how do you purchase? Do you have to load the cabinets yourself? At this point I'm looking for any information I can find.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barry in Warren, OH on March 17

Saturdays only. Line-up starts at 5:30 AM. You have to load from the dock into your vehicle yourself. You have to know the system to do well.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Connie in Syracuse, UT on April 13

There was a lot of talk about getting cabinets off the Net and at the discount centers... did anyone actually do it and how did it work out for you? We have several bids that are sky high, but I am wondering how a shop will work with you on the special cabinets when you order the bulk at the outlet? Also do they charge a lot to put them in? Hope all is going well for you...

Connie
Reply...

Matt's Forum Posts: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Matt in Waldorf, MD on April 15

Has anyone thought about building your own cabinets? All it takes is a table saw, a dado set, sandpaper, some stain/lacquer, and a little patience and ingenuity. Make the basic boxes on your own and go to Sears or IKEA or Century 21 or somewhere and get fronts for them. Heck, if you're creative and handy, you can make them yourselves. This way you can make the exact sizes you want with the exact wood you want and not have to deal with exorbitant prices.
Reply...

Theodore's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Theodore in Joppa, MD on May 8

I have been very fortunate purchasing loose cabinets from Lowe's for no more than $20 per box. I generally stick with the American Woodmark in one style, and so far I have been able to get three or four cabinets per month.

Lowe's special order returns and closeouts (if you are willing to purchase everything), can be just a few pennies on the dollar. There is usually a place in the store or in each department where they have the stuff stashed. Look for the yellow stickers, and remember nothing is carved in stone. Don't be afraid to be ridiculous in an offer. Eventually, it ends up in the trash.

Reply...

Victor's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Victor in San Diego, CA on May 31

What's a good inexpensive way to get myself a cabinet schedule off a set of plans? Home Depot tried to charge me $400 to look at my floor plan. I thought that was way too much.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Connie in Syracuse, UT on June 2

Victor, I can't believe they wanted to charge that. I actually have 8 bids, all free of charge. The best part is our kitchen is nothing like it started out. All of the bids gave good ideas for use of space and some unusual one-of-a-kind looks. Now that we know what the layout will be, wood choice, and general ideas, we are ready to get serious bids. But no one charged us or even mentioned money.

We went to Lowe's and the bid wasn't too bad, but the install killed the deal. Good luck. We also found many willing to help with coordinating the floor, countertops and lighting. Advice is free, take what you want.

Good luck,

Connie
Reply...

Mandi's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mandi on July 21

I found this site last week and read about the KraftMaid outlet in OH. We went there this weekend. I want to thank everyone for alerting me to this place.

I would like to tell you how the outlet is run (at least at this time).

Police began lining cars up at 5:30 AM. If you arrive before this, they ask you to leave. At 6:00, you are let in single file to park. As you drive through, they give anyone in your car a number. They gave only 300 numbers out. Anyone after number 300 must wait until 8:00 to get in. A random number between 1-300 is chosen. The 150 people above that number go in at 7:00. Next 150 at 7:30. At 8:00, anyone without a number gets in.

Write your name on painter's masking tape to stick on cabinets you like (regular address labels can be hard to remove). PUT YOUR NAME, WITH A "#2" NEXT TO IT, ON CABS THAT ALREADY HAVE SOMEONE ELSE'S NAME ON THEM!

At about 11:00, go to front desk and ask them to page anyone who still has their name on cabs you want. That person has 15 minutes to respond (many people label anything they might want, and then don't return to remove labels). After that, the cabs are yours. 

Bring your own blankets or bubble wrap to protect cabs from somewhat hasty employees (they're friendly, but have a lot of cabs to move).

$80 for all kitchen base/wall units, $100 for pantry, tax included. They also have bathroom vanities, islands, bookcases, etc. (not sure how much those are).

We were in the second wave and couldn't find any matching cabs not already marked. Then we learned about marking cabinets as "#2 buyer". At 11:30 we were proud owners of 8 cherry cabs. Seasoned buyers said the average number of visits to complete a kitchen is 6. Some people are very pushy. Just ignore and have fun.

Go with full list of your cabs and tape measure. Dock closes at 1:30. Cabs organized by wood and finish. Maple is mostly particle board, cherry is mostly plywood, don't know about others.

Good luck!

Reply...

Dawn's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dawn in Akron, OH on October 3

At the KraftMaid outlet, it is cash and carry or can you pick it up during the week?

Dawn

Reply...

Mandi's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mandi on October 6

They accept cash and credit cards, but I'm not sure about checks. You have to pick up the cabinets the same afternoon, and they seemed adamant about this. Hope this helps!
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barry in Warren, OH on October 7

No personal checks. Cash or credit cards only. You have to take them with you that day.

Mandi - good post about the process.

Reply...

Tiffany's Forum Posts: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tiffany in Hartwood, VA on October 9

If anyone lives in the DC area, it might be worth a drive to Stafford County's Builder Surplus and Supply. Address: 75 Potomac Creek Dr Falmouth, VA 22405 Phone: 540.720.2442, or 800.206.4825.

While renovating my house for sale, I purchased doors, windows, etc. from them at prices that would make your jaw drop. I got a Palladian window (that I had to clean THOROUGHLY) for $140. The same window at Home Deport was around $900. I bought French-style doors for my closet and bath (single glass-paned) for $30 each.

The last time I went there, they had started to bring in cabinets. I went over and took a look at them and they had many cabinets in the same style, so if someone were patient, they would be able to stock up on some very nice Aristokraft cabinetry.

You can also leave your name and number--the salespeople are very nice (family-run business) and will call you if something comes in. If you don't get there within a day, they cannot hold it. This is a huge warehouse run by three or four people and you can't expect them to have the customer service of a chain store. They also don't really know what's in their stock (I think they purchase pallets), except for the few "new" products they can order. Again, you have to drive down and do all the searching yourself for anything you buy. 

It is right off Rt. 1 in Stafford. Take 95 to the Stafford exit, turn off onto Rt.1 at the courthouse, head south towards Fredericksburg. There will be a stone house that is also an Italian restaurant to your right (seems to be in the middle of nowhere). The turn is right by that on the left.

Reply...

Randy's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Randy in OH on October 25

How does the lottery system at the KraftMaid outlet work?

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barry in Warren, OH on October 26

Randy, Mandi's post above details pretty well how the system works at the KraftMaid outlet. What I would add is that it helps if you have more than one vehicle. Have #1 show up in line at 5:30 AM and #2 at 6:00 AM, #3 if possible, at 6:20 AM to get numbers farther apart in the lottery. That's what the builders and remodelers do. The key is getting in in the first wave of 150. If you pick a less-popular wood/finish there are untagged cabinets later, but if you pick oak or cherry, the builders tag everything out in the first wave. There is a reseller from Elyria who takes a tractor-trailer load of cabinets every week, and he probably has a half-dozen employees tagging.

P.M. me if you have any other questions.

Reply...

Stephanie's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Stephanie in Leetonia, OH on January 11

Hi, All:

I was at the KraftMaid warehouse sale yesterday. Everything I've read on this site is true about it, except the cabinet prices went up a little. Base cabs and vanities are $80 now, but sooo worth it. I was able to get everything I needed in one trip - furnished two bathrooms completely.

Stephanie
Reply...

John's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John on January 22

On advice, I purchased from Encore. They are the worst. It took 11 months to get my order, and they still have not resolved any of the damage. The construction-delay costs are tremendous. They are not an authorized dealer for KraftMaid cabinets, and KraftMaid will not help you. Your warranty is void. Buyer beware.
Reply...

Jo's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jo in Berea, OH on February 2

We are getting ready to go to the KraftMaid place. I called and spoke to a woman, and they were very helpful and answered most of my questions. Any cabinet place will tell you it is not worth the trips out there, but I can only imagine that they want to mark up your price 25-40% more than at the outlet place. They say to have more than one vehicle and be ready to wait. My question that I need answered is, do they sell panels for Sub-Zero refrigerators?
Reply...

Traci's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Traci in Cranberry Township, PA on February 10

Phone: 440-632-2106

Open: Saturday only - 7 am - 1:30 pm, call ahead to make sure open on the particular Sat. before you go.

You will see the POLICE CAR at the entrance way directing/stopping traffic.

Cash, Mastercard & Visa only. Bring drivers license also. Bring measuring tape, roll of masking tape and markers.

Cars line up early. The gate opens at 6 am. Best to be there around 5:30 am. As cars pull in and reach the warehouse, there will be a worker handing out numbers from 1 to 450. Each person in your vehicle will get a number, (must be 16+ yrs. to enter). They stop giving numbers at 6:45 am. The main bay window opens at the warehouse at 7 am. One of the workers will come out and announce a randomly-drawn number from 1 to 450. For example, say they draw number 120, then the people holding tickets 120 through 270 will be let in. Thirty minutes later, the people from 271-421 will be let in, and finally 30 minutes after that, the remaining people will be let in. People without a number are let in at 8:30 or 9 am.

Once inside, head for the big-ticket items or the hard-to-find items first, like the pantries. We always wrote our names on masking tape in advance and put the little squares of tape on our pant legs so that once we found a cabinet, we just had to pull it off and stick it to the cabinet. Then write a number one and circle it, if you are the first in line for that cabinet. If someone already has marked the cabinet, put your name on it and put a number 2 and circle it. I think at about 10 or 11 am, if the number-one person hasn't bought the cabinet, then you can buy it. A lot of times people change their minds and come and take their name off.

A quick stop at the cashiers' stand is also a good idea to do first thing. They keep cans of stains and expensive accessories there. A can of stain from the factory is over a $100 for a quart! They go fast.

After our first trip, my husband and I went different directions once the inside to better cover ground quickly. Take the time to scour through the molding section in the back room. I found dental molding for my whole kitchen for $3 an 8-foot section that retails for over $200 each. This molding is already finished. You could use a lot of it for any room in your house!

Another great tip, if you pick a wood like Birch or Maple in say a honey spice finish, a lot of times you can interchange the cabinets by simply changing the doors on them. We choose honey spice birch cabinets with Provence door style. We were having trouble locating a wall-mount corner cabinet. We walked down the honey spice maple aisle by mistake and couldn't tell the difference in most of the cabinets at all. And we found a beautiful wall-mount corner cabinet in the exact dimensions we wanted in the same finish in Maple. Then we went and found a replacement glass front door. (Yes, for $5 we found a gorgeous glass door that fit our design.) My husband switched the doors, and it is gorgeous.

Is it worth it? It sure was for us. Our invoice to buy the same exact cupboards through Home Depot was $12,750. So far we have all but two cupboards, and we have saved about $8,500 min.

Honestly, these cabinets are first quality. You have to look hard to find a defect in most of them if you able to at all. In all but one of ours, the defect is on the side or rear of the cabinet, like a scratch or chip and would not be visible once the cabinets are installed. Plus, most of them come with a lot of accessories already built in, like roll-out trays, Lazy Susans, etc. These would have to be added on at hundreds or even thousands more to the retail price.

The bottom line is, we would NEVER have been able to have the kitchen of our dreams without the warehouse sale. We would have compromised the design, wood, door style, floor, etc. and probably purchased a cheaper cabinet from another manufacturer. And still we would have paid more.

Reply...

Jon's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Oak Hill, WV on February 16

Does the KraftMaid cabinet outlet have a good selection of cabinets or are they pickovers? If you want a certain style will it be in stock or do you have to wait for it?
Reply...

Rebecca's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Rebecca in Cleveland, OH on February 20

We just went to KraftMaid for the first time a couple of weeks ago--it was great! We got cabinets for $80, an armoire for $50, and an entertainment unit for $25. We are definitely going back tomorrow, and I would recommend it to anyone.
Reply...

Craig's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Craig in Herrin, IL on February 23

Would anybody in the area be interested in going to the KraftMaid Outlet and purchasing cabinets for me? I would pay $25 per cabinet purchased. I would then schedule a time to come and pick them up. I'm 10 hours away and would love the challenge of racing through the warehouse to buy the cabinets. But, if I didn't get in, or I couldn't find everything the first time, it's just not feasible to come back again. Thanks, Craig
Reply...

Matt's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Matt on February 24

I know the ropes at the KraftMaid sale. Used to sleep (when they didn't have the ticket system) a day in advance in the parking lot to get in earlier. Put 100 cabinets in my last house. All built-in beds with storage underneath, china cabinets, laundry cabinets, etc. It's a rat race, but definitely worth it. You have to get there very early, wait in line, tag cabinets, wait to have orders written up, stand in another line to pay (while someone else stays and guards your cabinets) get a dolly-man to haul cabinets to the loading dock, etc. How many are you looking for? Can you come to town on a Sat. around 1 pm to pick up? That would be better so we wouldn't have to move them twice. Let me know what your looking for. Thanks.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Craig in Herrin, IL on February 24

Matt, I could come about any Friday night and be ready to go on Sat. morning. I could bring three additional people to help, but can I find everything in one trip? That is my biggest concern, having to come back over and over again. If I lived nearby, I would probably go every Sat. just for the thrill.

Craig
Reply...

Matt's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Matt on February 24

What all are you looking for? Normally, we just buy a few extra and then buy filler for any spaces. At 70 bucks a cabinet, you can put any extra in a garage or make a desk or something... they're cheaper than most shelving and made a lot nicer. Also would grab some trim and filler... which they sell there too... and some misc. cabinets (like bread holders, trinket shelves etc.) depending on what you're looking for.

They also have complete kitchen sets (at $100 each) but you kinda have to get lucky for those. If you bring three people, I think you'd have a good chance of finding most of what you need and you wouldn't have to pay the surcharge of someone here. You could always buy one or two at cost if you really couldn't find what you needed. If you decide to come, let me know and I'll P.M. you the best bet for driving up and getting a ticket. You can actually have a better chance by spreading your people out when you come in the gates. I'll explain more if you need me to. Also... there's some tricks to tagging the cabinets that might help. Let me know what you're thinking.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Craig in Herrin, IL on February 24

I am starting this week on building my first new house. Just wanted to get my wife the best possible kitchen for the money. I have absolutely no problem buying a few extra cabinets at those prices. It will allow us to have a much nicer kitchen than we were planning. Our budget is very tight, and I need to save anywhere that I can. You said that you purchased cabinets that you used in your bedroom and for a china cabinet? Do they have specialty cabinets there that you can put together in a group to do that? If you don't mind, I would like to call you and get as much info as I can. You can P.M. me your number and tell me the best time to call. Thanks for all your help!!
Reply...

Traci's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Traci in Cranberry Township, PA on February 27

The warehouse is open every Saturday morning except on holiday weekends and employee sales. See my posting on forum for details and phone number. Always call ahead - they have a recorded message with upcoming dates and driving directions.

Reply...

Linnea's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Linnea in Avon Lake, OH on March 17

Do you know the name of the reseller in Elyria who buys by the truckload at the KraftMaid outlet?
Reply...

Lynn's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lynn in North Fairfield, OH on March 28

Could you please let me know if you ever got the name of the guy from Elyria? Did you ever make contact w/him - was he helpful to you? We are remodeling our kitchen and are done except we need cabinets now. I'm not looking forward to the outlet.

Thank you,

Lynn
Reply...

Kathy's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kathy on April 6

We have been out to KraftMaid two times in a month. On April 17th the cabinets will go up to $85.

As with the past posts - arrive at 5:30 - the lines are long. They stop giving numbers out at 6:45 AM. If you don't have a number for the drawing to get in (three waves of 150 persons) you stand on the dock waiting to enter - about 8:30-9:00 AM. They have sets coming in - great buys - as you come in the door - to your left.

I worried it would be a free-for-all, but it is quite organized for the number of persons there. Staff is quite helpful. We found we did not need to have the tape all over our bodies -  name tags/labels worked. Aisles are marked with orange tape telling you what is there "natural oak, glazed cherry, pine", etc. Islands run $135-$300. Get your slips for your order written up soon as they are marked off as sold (w/ crayon) so no one can come along and take it. They started calling names after 10 AM if persons have not gotten items written up.

The good news - we bought a full set. We were willing to go w/natural oak instead of honey spice and got the Windsor door style. Bad news is that we went back the following week - got there late, got no number and got in after everything was gone. Molding is a hot commodity. There are numerous vanities - $50. Now we have to go for the tie breaker - for trim and misc items... and, because it was fun. Don't be afraid to try it; get there early, know your style, check for your doors and accurate measurements, and don't rule out the full sets. Have fun.
Reply...

Victor's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Victor in San Diego, CA on April 9

I keep reading about all these good spots in the Midwest for sweet deals on cabinets. I'm from Southern California. Does anyone know of any outlet-type places that have decent prices on cabinets down in my corner of the States? Would appreciate the tip.

Thank you,

Vic
Reply...

Maria's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Maria in Artesia, CA on April 9

Victor, I just found this site and found out about an outlet in Anaheim. I am planing on checking on it this week. My friend said she saved over $3,000. I hope I have the same luck. The address in Anaheim is 2050 Winston Rd. Phone: 714.635.9080. I hope it's what you're looking for.

cabinetoutlet.com

Reply...

Kirsten's Forum Posts: 37

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kirsten in Atascadero, CA on April 9

Yes, there is a cabinet outlet in Anaheim, called "Cabinet Factories Outlet" and their website has some good specials, but only specific pieces. They sell the Diamond/Schrock line of cabinets, which I found to be of lesser quality and very expensive.

Reply...

Kathleen's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kathleen on May 1

The KraftMaid reseller in Elyria is called Patriot Surplus. He is located at 1444 Lowell Street, off 113. Phone: 440.323.0660. He charges $165 a cabinet; his selection is limited. He also has molding. He goes out to KraftMaid every week, with all his employees, and lots of big trucks. He generally ups the price 100%, and advertises KraftMaid cabinets. I don't think he can actually advertise; I don't think he is an official distributor of them. But he does have molding, and you probably saw him bundling it all if you were in there.
Reply...

Todd's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Todd in Freeport, PA on July 11

Went to the KraftMaid outlet this past weekend, and I must say the information from this thread was invaluable! We were lucky to get in on the first drawing and able to get our name first on three kitchens as soon as we were in the door. We were able to upgrade our choice in kitchen cabinets from Birch to Cherry with our selection and got a complete kitchen, missing only two or three pieces. There is only one cabinet that we can't use, but for the monumental savings we'll find a happy home for it. Guessing we saved between $9,000-$10,000 by getting our cabinets there.

Get there early, say your prayers, and hope to be picked first! As others have said, the madness really wasn't there, although my wife and I had a bit of anxiety before we arrived. The staff was extremely helpful and we were out the door with 21 cabinets for under $3,000 by 10:30. Only tips would be to make sure you have a few door styles and finishes as alternatives, since the selection varies so much from week to week (tip from a warehouse employee) and have plenty of packing material to save your cabinets on the way home. We used cabinet liners from Dollar General to protect our cabinets and it worked great. Also, take a big enough trailer or box truck in case you find a complete kitchen. If you don't get it the first trip, try again. We're going back again this weekend to try for the additional pieces we need plus moldings, wall backings, etc. We are also going to go later in the fall to get cabinetry for our new bathroom.

Also, make sure you mark cabinets with a number 2 if you don't get your cabinet choice marked first. We were able to get two hard-to-find corner EZ reaches by marking with a 2 and paging the first person who marked the cabinet. They didn't show in 15 minutes, so the cabs were ours. Have the tape ready with your name on it and have fun. We sure did!
Reply...

John's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in OH on July 12

Can you actually get the cabinets with all of those nice "extras" like the swing-outs, and all of those fancy drawers that pull out? Or do you have to buy them extra? Also, how much does it range for cabinets? Are they all different prices?

Thanks.
Reply...

Al's Forum Posts: 11

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on July 13

The extras are just luck-of-the-draw, really. If the cabinet was ordered with all the extras, then it will have them. Some extras are available to purchase separately (roll-out trays, trash bins, etc.). I bought six roll-out trays a couple of weeks back for $2 each. They're between $45-$55 at home centers. We bought a 36" pots-and-pans base cabinet that had full-extension and self-closing drawers. One of the EZR corner bases we got came with a super Susan, the other just had shelves. Exactly how we had spec'd them for order!

We've bought over 25 cabinets since first going in May. We only need about four more cabinets plus some extras. I've saved $9,000 at this point assuming I have to order everything else I need. I think I'm going this Saturday for one last trip, mainly to look for the last couple of common/expensive pieces, and then I'll order what's left. I've gotten really lucky as I found all my tall cabinets (oven, pantry, utility) and those are the big-dollar ones. My double-oven cabinet was $25 as opposed to $800 at Home Depot. As for pricing, generally all base/wall cabinets are $85. Tall cabinets are around $110-$125, although the oven cabinets tend to be $25. The wall refrigerator cabinets are $10 (rows and rows of these, buy them for your garage!).

Sometimes smaller cabinets will be on "special", but that's hard to say. We bought an oak medicine cabinet with full mirror for $40. Accessories are priced variously, but all roll-out trays are $2. We bought a matching paper towel holder for $5. In other words, cheap, cheap, cheap. It's a lot of work to get there early (especially if you're two hours away like me), stand around, wait, etc. I've got a pretty good system down though, and beyond the first time (which was quite a headache but I bought 15 cabinets at once) we've never been later that 9:30 heading out the gate with our bounty. Good luck, P.M. or follow-up if you have any questions!
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in OH on July 26

Do they sell base molding and crown molding - little things like that here as well? I plan on going this Saturday.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on July 26

They have crown moulding, trim board, toe kick, etc. This goes fast though, particularly the wood stained colors. They have lots of it, but people buy it up fast!
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in OH on August 10

Does anyone know how much trim and crown molding costs there per foot? I need almost 400 feet of base trim and 105 feet of crown molding. Can anyone help out on the cost? Thanks a lot. I would like my base boards and molding to be around at least 4 inches; I would like bigger, but unless they have good deals, it won't happen. Thanks.
Reply...

Fred's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Fred in Wilmington, OH on August 21

I am building an entertainment center and need doors. Does the KraftMaid warehouse sale have a good selection of door styles and sizes? I go to the Mills Pride Outlet in Waverly, Ohio and they have doors, but it is difficult to find four of the same style in the sizes I need. I recently purchased two of my style there and was told that I could order the other two (different size) from KraftMaid. The doors I purchased are Thomasville doors, but was told that they are made up there. It will cost me about $250 for just two doors with shipping. I would even change to another style door, if I could find four doors at the KraftMaid warehouse.

I would drive the 200 miles each way and take my chances if I thought that there was a possibility of getting the four doors that I need. The sizes are not common. I need two 21x30 doors and two 21x24. Style can vary, as long as they are some type of raised panel. Color and finish are not important. I could even use white, since we are going to paint the unit all white and build it in with bookcases on both sides. Are doors in big supply and are other people there to buy doors? I know that some people buy doors and resell them at flea markets. If I did not get in for the first two waves of people, are my chances good to find some doors. Thanks for any help with this question. I would also buy some bookcase units, if they have them. Do they sometimes have these. I would even buy cabinets with doors on them and use the doors and put other doors on the cabinets to use in my garage. Thanks.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in OH on August 23

I went to the KraftMaid warehouse. Man, I walked away with nothing. It was pretty discouraging for me. There were a ton of people - I'd say at least 600 or 700. I don't know if that is normal, because I know it was closed last weekend. I was in the second wave of people which you figured would be pretty good. Well, there were a lot of different door styles; it's hard to find all flat-maple doors, or all rounded-edge maple doors. You could probably get a whole set if you didn't care if they didn't match. By the time we figured out the style of door we wanted, everything was gone.

I almost bought a full kitchen, but nothing would really have fit right. I went over to the moldings and it was pretty picked over. I need about 385 feet of the same kind of molding. and that's hard to find. I don't know; I might go back. I would like to get a full kitchen.
Reply...

Dean's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dean in Girard, PA on September 16

Hey everyone,

The KraftMaid Warehouse in Lordstown, Ohio is WELL WORTH IT. And it's a lot of fun! While I was standing in line someone mentioned to me a place in Ohio nearby that sold Corian countertops very cheap (returns maybe)? Of course I lost the paper I wrote it on. Has anyone heard of this place? Thanks!
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on September 28

John:

On our first trip, we went in with a couple styles/finishes that we were willing to buy. After some looking around, we picked a style/finish that had the most cabinets available that would work. After that, we were locked into a style/finish for the most part, although I did buy a couple expensive cabinets and just ordered new doors. For example, I bought a corner base with super Susan that had the wrong door style. I had about $80 in getting new doors for it from a home center. That cabinet was about $500 if I had ordered it new. Another option, although probably more costly, would be to buy a full set even if it had some cabinets you couldn't use. Then go back and pick through over time for the additional pieces you need.

I think we made five trips and managed to get the vast majority of what we needed. Due to time constraints, I ordered the last few cabinets we needed, plus the replacement doors for the cabinets that needed them. When it's all said and done, we saved about $9,000. I also bought some cabinets that I didn't need due to a couple ahem, miscalculations. But they look great in my garage, LOL! I decided not to buy any trim/crown moulding at the outlet. The selection was always slim, and I couldn't tell for sure which colors were the right ones, because the lighting is so bad in the warehouse. I did buy a piece of veneered plywood though, $6 vs. $270 at the home center!!! Where are you in Ohio? I'm around the Cambridge area. I'm going to make another trip sometime in the future just to look at accessories and I need a bathroom vanity for my office.
Reply...

Carol's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Carol in Moberly, MO on October 5

Does anyone know anything about Brandom cabinets? They have a website and are being sold on eBay by Meramec Kitchens. I was looking at the Patriot cabinets, which are high gloss, but they have limited options. They came highly recommended by several people who had bought them on eBay. Brandom has many options, but I wanted to check to see if anyone had any experience with them here. Thanks.
Reply...

Greg's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Greg on October 26

Great forum... I need advice relating to the KraftMaid Outlet. I am looking for a complete kitchen in cherry (high end). From what I have read, cherry goes very fast. Do complete kitchens go fast also? Also,  has anyone found anyone who would go to the outlet and buy the cabinets for you (for a fee)? I live in North Carolina and it would not make sense for me to drive ~9 hours when there is a realistic possibility I would not get what I am looking for... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on October 26

Greg,

Yeah, everything goes fast at the outlet. I've not personally looked at the cherry, but everything sells out. First come, first served. I haven't been up there in awhile, but have to go back soon to look for some small parts. We're just now getting our kitchen together, hoping to install the cabinets this week or next. Will probably go after that in case we run into any "issues" and need something.  I want to try and get some trim and such as well.   

How much flexibility do you have with sizes, finish, door styles, etc? If you have a lot of flexibility you can do really well at the outlet. I changed my layout a couple times along the way, because I found other cabinets that I could work in. 

I've thought about making a hobby of buying these and reselling them, but I really don't need another hobby, LOL! We might be able to work something out though, if it's going to save you a ton. I don't mind doing the legwork, but one of these days I'd like to have my garage back. It's been a storage facility for too long! There appear to be several folks who do this already. Further up this thread, it's mentioned that someone around Cleveland resells a lot of these. I've also seen someone on eBay. Just search "KraftMaid".    

Reply...

John's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John on October 31

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their posts regarding the Kraftmaid Outlet. The information was valuable and helped us prepare for our experience.

So far, my wife and I have been to the outlet four times. The first time was really just to get familiar with the process and to see if it was an option. As described in earlier posts, the whole process was organized and relatively calm. I half expected a little bit of a frenzy... people running around tagging everything in site, but that wasn't the case at all. Out of our four trips, we were only in the first drawing once. Even though we were in the second wave the other three times, we were able to find several cabinets that we needed. There has been a change in pricing. Base cabinets are now $95 and wall cabinets are $90. Still a good deal! Tall cabinets vary in price but are generally priced from $85 for a narrow cabinet to $185 for a pantry.

For all of you who are thinking of making the trek to the outlet, I offer the following;

• Have your plan or layout ready before you arrive. We made some substitutions on some of our cabinets and are not satisfied. For example, we substituted a 12-inch with a door and a drawer for a 12-inch with all drawers. It's not that big of a deal really, but it's not what we originally wanted. So we are going to keep trying for the one we want.
  • Once you're locked in to a style and color, look at the cabinets closely. Some styles are very similar but have subtle differences that may or may not be noticeable after they are installed. For example; we chose a cherry cabinet with an Autumn Blush finish and an arched top "Roman Arch" on the wall cabinets. All of the base cabinets are square. There are other cabinets that are cut with the same router bit, but it is set up slightly different, making a small ledge about a 1/16th of an inch around the raised panel. The doors on these base cabinets are almost identical. I didn't realize this until we had the cabinets home. I will admit that if I had these cabinets installed even though they are different, no one would even notice. But I will! So I'll probably be looking for a replacement.
  • It's dark in the outlet, so it's hard to see defects in the cabinets. Talking to some of the personnel, most of the cabinets there are there because of a defects caused by shipping or rejects from the factory that didn't pass quality control. The complete kitchens may be an exception to that as the entire kitchen may be refused when delivered because of damage to one cabinet. Take a flashlight with you to look at the cabinets well.
  • You've heard of the phrase "measure twice, cut once". Well the same goes here... "Measure twice, buy once". Be sure you measure every cabinet to make sure it's the one you need. It gets a little exciting when you find cabinets in your style, so don't forget to measure.
  • There are many different cabinet designs and many different names for the same designs depending on where you are shopping... Home Depot's names are different than Lowe's, even though they are exactly the same. Go to the KraftMaid website at kraftmaid.com and register to download the cabinet specs. Here you can view the cabinet specs and door styles by color or style. You can even download CAD drawings. Once you have your style nailed down, you can look up to see what cabinets go with your style. For example; Cherry Manor wall cabinets go with Cherry Forge base cabinets. You can look up the codes and SKU's for your style, and when you get to the outlet you can double-check on the cabinet sticker. Each cabinet has a sticker on it that lists the abbreviations for the cabinet type, style, color, wood as well as any options or upgrades. This helps out, because some colors are very, very similar especially in the dim light at the outlet. One look at the tag and you'll be sure. Once you're familiar with the codes, you can tell exactly what that cabinet is.
  • Be patient! They get inventory in every week from across the entire U.S. You may go there and find nothing one week and the next week a whole lot! If you don't see the exact cabinet you're looking for, try again the next week it will probably be there.

If I think of anything thing else I'll make another post.

All the best,

John

Reply...

Greg's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Greg on November 1

Al,

Thanks for the info. Do the "complete" kitchens go faster than the individual cabinets (it seems they would, as you do not have to worry about matching)? Are the complete kitchens more expensive? I am flexible to a lot of the variables, but I do want cherry. Thanks again for your help.

Greg

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on November 1

The complete sets seem to always sell out, but I'm not sure how fast they get claimed. I had my name on a set once, but declined them because there just wasn't enough I could use. I didn't have a lot of flexibility. I know there's a list you can put your name on and then get a chance at a full set. The worker will explain exactly how it works, but if you see a set/sets you might want, get your name on the list ASAP. There's usually about 20 full sets. As for price, the set I looked at worked out to be about $110/piece. This was when all cabinets were $85/each.

Do you know which finish of cherry you wanted? The cabinets aren't arranged by species, but by finish. So the "natural" aisle could have cherry, oak, walnut, etc. You have to be careful to get the right finish/species, because there's generally very slight differences in the door styles. Plus, the poor lighting in the warehouse might cause you to get the wrong finish. Been there, done that, have a couple nice cabinets hanging in my garage! We were looking for a glaze finish, which was easier because they tend to come in fewer combinations of species/doors. Plus it made it more cost effective, because the glaze is a 10% markup on the retail side, but the same cost at the outlet. 

I believe "Cabernet" is the only finish that's specific to the cherry species. I do remember seeing a decent selection of these, particularly because they were covered in dust and really caught my eye. 

Reply...

Kari's Forum Posts: 61
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kari in Colbert, WA on December 21

Anyone used Kitchen Craft cabinetry? I think one of the Canadian panelized companies uses them - heard they were a great cabinet for the price as compared to KraftMaid - that their upper line has all the nice features standard that are upgrades on KraftMaid and their price is cheaper (that I can confirm as I have quotes for both). But I have yet to see them in person and would love feedback of someone who has installed this brand.  Thanks!

Reply...

Jacklyn's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in PA on December 28

Can you tell me more about the KraftMaid Outlet in Lordstown, OH?

1.  Are cabinets categorized by style, finish, etc?

2.  Do they only give out a certain amount of lottery tickets or does everyone in line get one?

3.  If you are number 30 and your spouse (or whoever else is with you) is number 150, can you go together when one of your numbers are drawn?

I'm trying to get as much info as possible before making the trip.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on December 29

Cabinets are arranged by finish for the most part. Each row will have various species, but the same finish. The tall cabinets are all over the place, and not arranged at all. 

They give out numbers between 6 and 6:45 AM. I'm not aware that there is any limit to the numbers they give out. A man stands at the intersection near the warehouse and hands out numbers until 6:45. The numbers are given out in order, so if you and your spouse were first in the gate, you'd get numbers one and two. All the numbers that were given out are put in a box and one is randomly picked. Based on the number picked, folks are admitted in "waves" of 150. So if they gave out 400 numbers, and pulled number 200 in the drawing, the admittance schedule would go like this:

At 7:00, numbers 200-350 would be admitted.

At 7:30, numbers 351-101 would be admitted.

At 8:00, numbers 102-199 would be admitted.

The odds of you getting selected in one wave, and your spouse another would be slim, but possible. My Plan B if that happened was for me to take the "winning" number, since I had a better idea of what we needed.

Reply...

Jon's Forum Posts: 43

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Olathe, KS on January 3

There are a couple of people who sell complete sets on eBay. They both have Ohio addresses, so I imagine they get them from the warehouse. Just do a search for "KraftMaid". They both have 100% feedback ratings.

Reply...

Renee's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Renee in Glen Dale, WV on January 16

Hello! Thanks for the excellent info about the KraftMaid outlet! A friend of mine built a home in Chardon, Ohio two or three years ago and let me in on the secret - and now we are building and I want to try as well! My biggest question (for ANYONE who has been to the outlet) is this: WHAT finish/species are we most likely to find there? What is the most popular? Of course I have my preferred finishes, but I don't want to trek up there a bunch of times if what I am looking for is difficult to find. I have an 11-month-old son who will be staying at home with Daddy, so I get to probably do this alone - but it sounds fun to me, so I am up to the challenge! Especially if we can save a lot of money. 

Thanks for any info, everyone! 

Renee

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on January 17

There seems to be a pretty good supply of most species/finishes. It's all based on what folks are ordering from the retailers, as to what gets returned. There's always a ton of oak/maple/cherry in Natural/Honey Spice. But those "favorites" are also in high demand. We were looking for Taupe Glaze in maple, and there usually wasn't more than a few people digging through them. The Natural/Honey Spice aisles are generally packed with people, and if you're not one of the first in the doors you might have trouble finding what you want.

On our first trip, we had a few that we were willing to take, and just went with what it seemed like we could get the most of. We found 15 Taupe Glaze cabinets on our first trip, so Taupe Glaze it was. It was our first choice anyway, so that worked out great!

Good luck!

Reply...

Sybil's Forum Posts: 27
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sybil in Leominster, MA on February 7

Drove 10 hours the weekend of 01/29 to the KraftMaid Outlet in Ohio.

Absolutely worth the trip. We got all of our kitchen wall cabinets, in Birch, in one shot. Will go back for the rest. It cost us $355 for our cabinets from the outlet; Home Depot quote for the same exact cabs and finish was over $2,200. 30" range hood at outlet was $35; it was $516 + tax at Home Depot.

Our cabinets were on sale for $65, along with a lot of other cabinets. Also, when we were there, some bath cabinets were three for $95. 

The experience was not nearly as stressful as I thought it would be. Tips on this board made things much easier, as we were well prepared when we got in there. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Only thing that was kind of confusing and difficult was actually purchasing the cabinets and getting them to our vehicle.

They did have cabinets in Moss Glaze finish that somebody asked about. Ginger Glaze in Maple, Honey Spice in Oak and Maple, and Natural Cherry were most popular while we were there. Most white cabinets and laminates were not marked with names, even after we had been inside for four hours.

Reply...

M's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By M on March 9

Stay away from Encore cabinetry. Took a chance and now we are paying the price. Cabinets arrived damaged and Encore is not responding to any form of communication. For 6 months Encore has had full payment. Check the BBB complaints first, wish I would have. BUYER BEWARE.
Reply...

Matthew's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Matthew in Waldorf, MD on April 1

Has anyone ever considered companies other than KraftMaid? That's all anyone here seems to talk about.

Anyway, I'm looking at redoing my kitchen and am, obviously, in need of cabinets. At this point, I think I have an allergic reaction to Lowe's and Home Depot 1) 'cause they won't give you prices without going through a consultation and 2) can't seem to realize that some people actually plan out their actions before purchasing on a whim and a new 10% discount credit card from the store.

Does anyone know of places to get cabinets on the cheap (not sacrificing too much quality) in or around Maryland? No, IKEA is not an option. I have everything planned down to part numbers and an 1/8" (at least for Mill's Pride). I just need prices.

Matt

Reply...

Netie's Forum Posts: 84
Interview Answers: 63

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Netie in Salt Lake City, UT on April 25

Why "no IKEA"?

We're looking at them vs. Mills Pride. I personally like the contemporary look; my hubby likes the typical American look of the latter, even though they too are the European faceless frames. 

There's been some mention about the Consumer Report listing of IKEA as third in quality and first in price on this forum, and on the GardenWeb board there is a lot of positive feedback with some negative - mostly lack of sizes/compatibility.

If you have any technical info, I'd love to hear about it - if it's just a personal design choice - that's cool too.

Thanx.

Reply...

Paula's Forum Posts: 60
Interview Answers: 14

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Paula in Fredericksburg, VA on April 27

Hi:

I was at the KraftMaid outlet this past Saturday and they had a ton of Ginger Maple that someone asked about. It is what I bought. I got 10 out of 16 cabinets needed.

Paula

Reply...

Paula's Forum Posts: 60
Interview Answers: 14

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Paula in Fredericksburg, VA on April 27

I was at the Kraftmaid Outlet Center in Ohio this past weekend, and what a blast!!! I live in Fredericksburg, VA, so it was a 6+ hour drive, but with the parents and in-laws in Pittsburgh which is an hour away, not too bad. Getting up at 4:30 am and standing in the rain was a bummer, but well worth it. Perhaps it is the female in me, but what a thrill getting good products at such a discount. I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread with instructions on how this works. Everyone was right on the money. The tips to bring the flashlight and measuring tape and the masking tape on the pants were PERFECT! We got 10 out of the 16 cabinets we needed and we probably would have got closer to everything, but we spent an hour working our way around. I went in completely flexible on what I was going to buy in terms of glaze and wood. I only plan on living in my house for two years, so it wasn't that important to me. What was important was the construction, and I was able to get all plywood boxes. 

So I wasted some time browsing through the kitchen sets and then browsing through all of the other glazes, etc. to see what had the most. I finally settled on Ginger Maple. We did get in during the first round, so it made it easier.

A few more tips of my own that I didn't see anyone else mention. Wear a fanny pack of some type to keep your hands free. It is what we did and I can't imagine trying to do that with carrying a purse or having to carry your stuff. It is much easier to put everything in the pouch and pull it out when you need it. Also, just because the aisle says Ginger Maple, it isn't necessarily what it is. When I got home and was lining up my cabinets, I noticed two were slightly off. Somewhere on the top of the cabinet is a label and it has codes for each glaze/wood. Learn your code and look for it, because it is kind of dark. Out of my 10 cabinets, two were Toffee Maple, not the Ginger. We are returning next weekend and hopefully will get the rest of the cabinets and the mouldings. I am hoping to just replace the doors on the two, or else they will go in the laundry room.

Thanks to all!!

Reply...

Jason's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jason on May 21

Well, we went to the KraftMaid outlet today. Pretty good experience overall. First off, the directions listed in an earlier post aren't real accurate. I'd use MapQuest. I printed out both, and found that the MapQuest was more accurate.

We got to the line at about 5:45 am and ended up being 111th in line. With the lottery system I don't think it really matters when you get there, as long as you get a ticket before the 6:45 cutoff time. It's basically a crap shoot as to when you'll get in. The first group that got in today at 7 am started at 180 and they let in 150 people at a time. Then at 7:30 the next 150 and so on. We got in the second group because there were only 350 tickets given out.

We were just looking for vanities, and luckily weren't locked into any certain wood or stain. They seemed to have a decent selection, but we needed two 30" and a 60" double-bowl vanity. It was actually kinda tuff, even with having no specific type of cabinet in mind. We also got three of the above-the-refrigerator wall cabinets, since they were only $10 each. Figured they would be good in the garage. The vanities were $95 each. It didn't matter what size 60" or just a set of drawers to go next to a 24".

It was a long process, but we got what we needed. I would hate to try to get a whole kitchen. I think that would definitely be a tough thing, and if I were planning that, I would plan on multiple trips for sure. The only problem we had was somebody removing our name from a cabinet. I ended up getting one of the workers and told them the situation and got things worked out and we got what we wanted.
Reply...

Debra's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Debra in Parma, OH on July 28

Called the KraftMaid warehouse and got a recording that said the warehouse closes in September. Anyone know if they are closing permanently? Planning on working on my kitchen this winter, and want to take advantage of the savings of warehouse shopping. Has anyone been out there lately? Any new info regarding procedure or current per-item price?

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on July 28

I'm planning to go this Saturday. I'm not going for the lottery, just going to show up around 9 or so. I'll let you know what I find out.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Renee in Glen Dale, WV on July 28

Hey Debra,

I was at the outlet for three weekends in a row from June to early July; the recording means they will be closed on the Saturday for the Labor Day holiday. I have a few more cabs to get myself, so I am glad they are NOT permanently closing!!! 

Renee

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on August 1

I went to the KraftMaid outlet this weekend. The only sign they had up said they would be closed August 13. There were also signs saying as of September, the prices would be: Wall Cabinets $90, Base Cabinets $95. 

I just picked up a couple tall utility cabinets for the garage, $125 for two tall cabs wasn't a bad deal. Got some more roll-out trays too, $5 apiece. Didn't seem like there was much of a crowd, really.

Reply...

Kristina's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kristina in New London, PA on August 9

The address for the KraftMaid warehouse is 5232 Tod Ave. SW, Lordstown OH (it is also considered Warren, OH). The warehouse is very easy to find (I went for the first time this past weekend).

I don't know about the selection of mouldings, toekicks, etc., that someone asked about, because by the time I got to them they were already picked over. My first concern was finding cabinets. I was able to purchase about 60% of my kitchen cabinets and plan to return sometime in September - about a 7-hour drive - but well worth it. I saved about $7,000.

The advice on this thread proved to be extremely valuable. Thank you to everyone who has posted their experience. The only edit needed is that Wall Cabs were $90/Base Cabs $95 effective Sept, 2004 not 2005. I don't know if that means they will be raising prices again in the near future. The warehouse is closed Labor Day weekend, but that is all they had posted for next month.

Reply...

Beth Ann's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Beth Ann in Columbiana, OH on August 9

Kristina, thank you so much for the immediate response. I am only in need of one cabinet at this point. I live only a half hour from Warren, so I should be in good shape. The crown molding I need will run me about $3,000 at Home Depot, so I will be heading over to see if I can save some money. Thanks again.

Reply...

Tim's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tim on August 10

I'm hoping to head to the warehouse Saturday for the first time. Are most of the styles there still available to order additional cabinets? I don't want to get stuck with say, 18 of the 20 cabinets I need and not be able to order the additional two at full price. Thanks.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on August 10

You might check the KraftMaid website or Home Depot or Lowe's to get acquainted with their products. Have an idea of what you want going in. The cabs in the warehouse are generally pretty new stuff. The full sets sell pretty much every week, so you won't likely see anything there that's been around long. Take the catalog along for reference if necessary.

We had a few styles/colors we wanted going in, so we bought whatever we could get the most of on our first trip. We got our first choice anyway, so it worked out great. We had to order some, but still saved a bundle. Home Depot and  Lowe's both have different names/styles, and those are different than what KraftMaid calls them. Not sure why, but you need to be careful when you go to order that you're ordering the right style. There are very slight differences on some of the door styles.

When we were at the warehouse a couple weeks ago, there were signs saying they would be closed Aug. 13. You might want to call before heading out, but I'm pretty sure you're out of luck for this coming Saturday.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tim on August 10

Wow, thanks for the heads up about this weekend. I just called, they are in fact closed the 13th. That's kind of random and really would've been bad if I drove clear there. I'm not really as concerned about the door style as much as I really want natural hickory. I'm sure that's a pretty popular one.

Reply...

Nancy's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Nancy on August 11

Just wanted to let you know this Saturday, Aug 13th is for employees only. My sister called them just today and this is what they told her.
Reply...

Cassandra's Forum Posts: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Cassandra in Seymour, MO on August 15

Has anyone used qualitycabinets.com? Are they decent, or has anyone here used anything other than KraftMaid? We need hickory cabinets in a natural finish... looking for something affordable but good. This picture came from their site. I found them through a surplus dealer.

Reply...

Kirsten's Forum Posts: 37

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kirsten in Atascadero, CA on August 15

When I priced out IKEA, I found that the pricing was going to be similar for cherry cabinets we would not have to assemble and had more choices in size and style. When it was all said and done, we did high-end Kitchen Craft for about $1,500 more than the IKEA would have cost. I really love my cabinets!

Kirsten
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tim on August 23

I just went to the KraftMaid warehouse last weekend. I was very disappointed. We got in in the second wave of people. We looked at any finish or wood and the best we could do was find three cabinets that were the same out of the 16 I need. I was even looking at ones that people tagged so I could put my name on them for second. Our first choice of natural hickory had only four total cabinets that were different from each other.

We did buy a great piece for the laundry room for $110. 

A guy I was talking to in the maple aisle was there on his 6th trip and found two more cabinets towards the 17 he needed. He said those two made 14 of the 17. I don't have the time to go there 10 times. I am annoyed I wasted a Saturday leaving my house at 4:30 AM for that.

Reply...

Dianne's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dianne on August 23

Tim,

By choosing natural hickory, just as we did, you will find less cabinets at the outlet, simply because it's not the most common choice people buy. We didn't realize this at first. But we've come to understand that the outlet exists for a place for returns, quality-control rejects and trade-show castoffs. If a lot of people countrywide are ordering hickory, then you'd find more there, but they're not. I personally think the natural hickory has been worth the numerous trips there. Just the crown molding at $3 a board, has been worth it.

We only drive an hour, but we've only gotten in first a few times. We've been able to get all of our cabinets except two, which we ordered from Home Depot. We ended up with many slam-proof drawers, which is an expensive upgrade. We also bought a couple of bases with the wrong door style, then bought the right doors for $2 each!! Altogether, we've saved thousands and we have a unique and beautiful kitchen we wouldn't have been able to afford. The bottom line is is that everyone has to decide what your Saturday morning time is worth. We are usually home by 10 am, so the whole day isn't shot.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tim on August 23

I just wanted to point out that you are probably not going to get most of your cabinets in a trip or two regardless of your wood or finish. The complete kitchens are a great deal if you are doing new construction and can adjust things a bit. I needed very specific widths for my remodel.

I could only find one 8' piece of hickory crown molding when I was there.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Renee in Glen Dale, WV on August 23

Tim,

I live about two hours from the KraftMaid outlet, and have been there five times. We are building a new house and believe me, my builder was NOT happy that I did my kitchen this way, but we got better cabinets that his allowance would afford - and for less money!

The first time I went just to scope things out - where are things sorted, what cabinets are in what part of the warehouse, etc. The second time I bought a whole set (13 cabs) and honestly, they were not my first pick of color and wood - but they were very pretty and in excellent shape. I had to go back three more times to get the additional cabinets I needed (I only went for the lottery the first three times).

I still had to order four odd wall cabinets through Lowe's and just those four cabinets were over $1,500! They were the corner wall cabinets and I had to order them before the builder could even begin installation. There were still two more cabinets I needed: 36" talls, one 24" wide and one 27" wide. Ordered at Lowe's they were over $800 - I went back the fifth time to the outlet and found - "ta-da" - the EXACT sizes I needed in a slightly different color (but still Oak) - $180 for the cabinets plus doors I ordered at Lowe's, and I STILL saved over $375 for these last two cabinets. I also got ALL no-slam drawers, double garbage bins, lazy Susans, etc. Yes, it takes some effort, but we have a much nicer kitchen that we would have had - full face doors, better construction, etc. 

You may also have chosen a "bad week" to go too, because the 20th fell after the 13th - which was the KraftMaid EMPLOYEE ONLY sale, and they may have cleaned out a lot of stuff. A good date to try again would be the weekend AFTER Labor Day - then there's two weeks' worth of stuff and a better selection - but then also more people. Have fun - I have a friend who remodeled her entire kitchen in hickory this year, entirely though the outlet. If you want me to find out how many trips it took her, PM me. Glad to help if I can.  Take care!

Renee

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Al in Cambridge, OH on August 24

At the KraftMaid outlet, it's all a matter of chance and luck for the most part. Maybe Hickory isn't in demand so there isn't much coming back as returns. It's certainly more difficult if you go with no flexibility. We found 15 cabinets the first trip, but had a couple finishes we were interested in. We made four more trips to get the vast majority of what we needed (around 25 cabinets total). We had to leave at 4:30 a.m. as well, and usually were home by 11:00-12:00. We saved over $10,000 IIRC, which for five Saturdays at 7 hours each is $285/hour. Probably not many folks around this forum have the opportunity to make that kind of money to make up for losing half a Saturday.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2015 Consensus Group Inc.