DCS
418 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
g4wowgwow
468 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
My1stOB Melbourne, FL
627 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

I love this website, it has a lot of information.
Tonya in Mt. Sterling, OH

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Building in Tampa Bay, Florida

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Tony's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tony in Clearwater, FL on 11/29/2005

I've been contemplating/researching the OB approach for about 1 year and now after reading this forum, I think I'm ready (I think!)  ... so the plans for my 3400sf is in the engineer and I started the 'shopping' but have a couple of questions:

- Any OB's in my area (Oldsmar, FL)?
- It seems like it's getting harder to get contractors in my area (either too busy or not willing to work with OB's) ... any suggestions?
- How about using a construction manager, worth the 14-18percent of total price?

Thanks to everyone .... this is a great site/forum.

Reply...

Phillip's Forum Posts: 77

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 12/14/2005

Hey Tony!

My wife and I are about to close on our land and hope to break ground 1Q 2006 in Lutz. I've got a buddy who is a GC and will be helping us out, but it would be nice to network with other OB's in the area.

We're building about 3000 sq ft, plans are at the architect now.

Reply...

Tony's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tony in Clearwater, FL on 12/16/2005

Hi Phillip,

Glad to hear of another OB in the area.  We're still making changes to plans for structural and other reasons.  If all goes well we will break ground in February. Perhaps we can learn from each other and maybe pickup a good contractor lead along the way.

/Tony

Reply...

Joe's Forum Posts: 54
Journal Entries: 4

Private Message

Image from Joe's blog

Login to Vote

By Joe in Ruskin, FL on 10/24/2006

I am getting close to having plans to submit as an OB for a home in Ruskin.  Mine will be a little different as my property is on Tampa Bay and in both a V zone and a 120 mph windborne debris zone.  Looks like the structural requirements are much more stringent for me.

I am going the SIP route and will probably have to use impact resistant windows as well.  My selection is to have a contractor do the shell for me once I have the pilings in the ground and piers going up to put the structure on (my first floor will have to be 11 feet off the ground).

I'll be happy to post info on progress, to try and network with other OB people in this area.

Joe H

Reply...

Joe's Forum Posts: 54
Journal Entries: 4

Private Message

Image from Joe's blog

Login to Vote

By Joe in Ruskin, FL on 3/3/2007

I finally have a permit.  What a long process to build on the water with all of the extra requirements for V Zone construction.  Now the fun begins.  We have staked out the locations for the pilings which will be going in next week (23 pilings going 45 feet into the ground) but I have a quick general question.  The Doc Box is to hold a lot of important documents.  My thinking is to make photocopies of everything that goes in there except the permit/inspection sheet and place the photocopies in the Box.  I have heard several stories of items mysteriously disappearing from the Doc Box and figure with the originals in a safe place it would be far easier to replace anything that gets lost than to have to go back to the County and ask for duplicates.  Any thoughts or comments on this one?

Joe H

Reply...

Phillip's Forum Posts: 77

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 3/3/2007

Joe:

You are correct, items mysteriously disappear from Doc Boxes. I did/am doing exactly what you suggested - making copies of all important docs - and I leave the copies in the Doc Box most of the time. I made a copy of the Building, Septic, and Roof Permit and I keep them in the box for trouble-making neighbors or HOA people that wonder if we have "authorization" to do what we are doing (fill dirt, etc). The only thing I don't keep a copy of is the county plan set.

However, anytime you call for an inspection, make sure you place all originals in the box the night before. Inspectors won't even walk the job if they don't have the originals (especially the plan set). When the inspection is complete, just swap out the originals with your copies again.

One other note - Doc Boxes are supposed to be waterproof, but a little wind and they become buckets. Keep your originals, including the plan set (I even keep my copies) in a large Ziploc bag to protect them from rain and moisture. They have to last many months in the Florida humidity and thunderstorms!

Phillip

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.