movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
353 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Hello All, I've been lurking here for a while, and I really appreciate all the tips and feedback you all have provided.
Alex in Mesa, AZ

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

90% price difference???

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Yvonne's Forum Posts: 40
Interview Answers: 36

Private Message

Yvonne's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Yvonne in Helena, AL on 4/28/2006

Okay,

We have gotten two bids on site clearing. Both bids include:

Felling the trees (approx 33 mature pines, hickory, oak, sweet gum)

Cutting into 10' sections and stacking close to site

Chipping the smaller trees and the branches from the larger trees

Stump work is not included

One bid is $1,300 and the second bid is $10,000!!!

Now, how on earth do we make sense of that? While we want to have a good deal, we don't want to make someone lose money, either. We did have our foundation guy say that he thought it would run about $2,500 to have the site cleared, but he said it was just a guess.

What would you do? We have the $1,300 guy scheduled to start on Monday (husband didn't know I had scheduled the second bidder for a look this afternoon). Both men walked the site and saw the trees in person.

Thanks!

Yvonne

Reply...

2006, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Michael's Forum Posts: 181
Interview Answers: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael in Cave Creek, AZ on 4/28/2006

The second bidder is telling you that he does not want the work. Throwing an outrageous number at a job is easier for some contractors than saying "No thanks, I'm too busy, don't have the right equipment, etc."

Reply...

Jay's Forum Posts: 13

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jay in Elkhart, IN on 5/9/2006

Yvonne

I would get at least a third or fourth quote and compare apples to apples. Just to have a more accurate range.

The second guy does sound like he does not want the work, which is fine, but you also want to be careful that the first guy knows what he is talking about. Because believe me the cheapest is not always the best value! You also want to make sure that he is not going to add another couple hundred dollars because "I didn't account for that or I didn't notice this." Realizing that you cannot account for everything but you need to have them spell what they are going to do and then review it so expectations are clear; and if things change in price, make sure he talks to you about them before any work is being done.

With those mature trees, especially the oak, I would call a local or regional logging company to see what kind of money you can get by selling the trees, they might even take them off your hands for a minimal cost.

Just an observation.

Jay

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 5/9/2006

Just a thought on getting a local company to buy extra resources on your lot - It will likely depend on the economy in your area. I've had little luck with my resources - rock. I have thousands of tons of moss rock, sandstone from blasting, etc. Most companies don't want to mess with an one-time shot for a local supplier.

I had strong interest if I was willing to let a local rock company come haul out at will, every rock they wanted... But I didn't want to turn things into a quarry. I'm trying to work with a local landscape materials supplier to trade some of my sandstone boulders (I have 500-700 ton) for a credit for landscape materials. They would be getting them for a song, but they would have to mobilize the equipment to haul them out, so it's a big expense. Unless there is enough material (wood/rock/apples/whatever) to make it worth mobilizing the equipment, it won't be worth it to them...

I think the current supplier I'm talking to is considering it, but I can tell it's on the edge. They are only five miles away, so trucking won't take long, but running two trucks and a huge trackhoe could very well cost $300 per hour, and they would probably need 16 hours, so their could would not be inconsequential... Anyway, just a bit on my experience. Hopefully you have better luck, but if you do have good trees, it can't hurt to try. If it works, let us know how you approached them and what worked!
Reply...

Ralph's Forum Posts: 72

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ralph in Fort Collins, CO on 5/16/2006

Hi Yvonne,

It might be too late, I don't know your schedule, but you could find a contractor that will come do the work on shares. You get some of the wood and he gets some also. That many trees should be tempting for someone with the equipment; or he might just do it for the lumber at no cost to you.

My brother has a bandsaw mill that he pulls with his pickup. He brings it to the site and saws the trees into rough-sawn dimensional lumber. Unfortunately he lives in Idaho so I think you are a little too far away. When he lived in Alabama he was sawing big cypress logs and building barns out of the lumber. Now he is cutting Western Red Cedar and some of the logs are producing 14" wide boards.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Ralph

Reply...

Yvonne's Forum Posts: 40
Interview Answers: 36

Private Message

Yvonne's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Yvonne in Helena, AL on 5/19/2006

Wow - what a past few weeks just trying to get our trees down! We called several lumber mills - they weren't interested unless I had several solid acres. The original $1K guy came back and said he missed "a few" trees and the price would be $2,600. We negotiated him to $2K and then messed with him for two weeks while he got down three trees!!! So... while my husband was out of town... I mobilized a neighbor who owns a large excavating company and got the site cleared, driveway cut and graveled, basement hole hole dug and garage area leveled. The downside now is that we have to wait three weeks for our Superior Walls because we waited too long to pull the trigger on that!

P.S. We ended up keeping all the hickory, pine and oak. My guy cut the trees into 8' lengths and put them in a nice large stack. I got a price from a portable sawmill guy for $3/bd foot. We're considering using the hickory for our flooring, but I need to find a place to tongue & groove the wood and get it priced out to see if it is worth it.

Thanks for the GREAT suggestions  -- I hope using the wood in the house works out, as I think that would be really neat.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.