549 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
gypsyhillfarm East Petersburg , PA
1,172 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Our-log-home Thomaston, GA
1,062 Visits | 2 Posts | 4 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

I have started the "wish list" of features that we want in our O-B house. I would like to break ground next spring if possible. Love the website and book. Looking forward to many discussions.
Todd in Tullahoma, TN

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

600 Posts

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 2/28/2007

This is my 600th post, I want to make it good.  I wanted to do this for my 500th post (seems like such a better milestone), but I missed it doing something I s'pose as equally important as bashing the BORG.

It is interesting to go back and look at the history, with my first post back in early 2004 asking about ICF.  From that first post and the history of my posts that have followed you can see my journey from novice O-B with questions, lessons that came from my 1,000 hours of planning (probably a very conservative estimate), working with an architect to custom design my house, selection of components and finish materials, novice O-B mistakes, and eventually what I like to believe as a valuable resource giving back much more than I have taken away so that other O-Bs undertaking this daunting task learn from my successes and don’t make the same mistakes.

Along the way I have continually bucked conventional wisdom, and as fellow O-Bs you understand that choosing to do this puts you squarely against the first rule of building a house, which is hire an experienced GC.  Most of the time, eschewing conventional wisdom paid off, occasionally it came back to bite me.  Being my own GC was one of the early decisions that paid great dividends.  The important thing I learned was to do independent research, and make your own decisions – conventional wisdom is frequently about not making decisions at all or good decisions taken completely out of context.  GC's are full of conventional wisdom that is useless (and occasionally a kernel of something worthwhile so it pays to listen to them anyway).

Along the way I have received accolades from my peers (including you) for the information I have shared publicly, for the information I have shared privately through O-B Connections and direct email exchange (starting out, I really wanted to win the cruise and even though I have more “posts of the week” than anyone else it simply wasn’t meant to be.  I guess if I want to take the cruise, I should use some of the money saved by doing this and buy it myself ;-), I have watched this website grow and the number of O-Bs sharing through posting, blogs, individual websites, etc. increase exponentially.  I have made new acquaintances and friends.  And above all, I live in a house that I could have never purchased otherwise.

It has been an exciting journey; at some times I wasn’t sure it would ever end (believe me, there were plenty of times I wish I had never started this).  But in the end, it was all worthwhile.  Now that the mental anguish of doing this has healed (this is a draining process, no one cares about your house like you do), I have nothing but fond memories, minor scars, and great stories.

Reply...

Jenee's Forum Posts: 15
Interview Answers: 19

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jenee in Katy, TX on 3/2/2007

CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you for all the information you have shared in the past.....and although I am in the beginning phase of my O-B experience I appreciate all the time that you and others like you have donated to the forum.

Did you post a construction journal?  And if so which one is it?

Thanks

Reply...

Doug's Forum Posts: 31
Interview Answers: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Doug in Lawrence, KS on 3/2/2007

Kenneth,

Thanks for all the wisdom you have shared.  Your posts are often the first I look at after logging in due to your straight forward approach to this madness of building homes. 

We have been planning our home since we purchased our property in '01 and have spent the past three years living in a mobile home on the property to "get a feel" of where we want to build, direction to face, ect...  Seeing your approval of ICF has encouraged me to delve into considerable research and the decision has been made to build our home with ICF.  We will break ground in May. 

As a "practice run", we purchased a home last spring that was dried in, but never finished.  The granite was installed yesterday and the satisfaction of seeing a home completed is indescribable.  We wouldn't have dreamed of this without you and the many others who have logged on and shared their knowledge, mistakes and dreams.

Keep logging in as I will need advice and help more than ever come May...

Again, Thank You for all you have given.

Doug

Reply...

Jerry's Forum Posts: 29
Journal Entries: 27
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Image from Jerry's blog

Login to Vote

By Jerry in Lee's Summit, MO on 3/3/2007

Ken, I'm looking forward to number 1000 (only 398 to go).  It is so important that people like you stick around to pass along the experience.  It's unfortunate how many abandon this site when they are done building.  I urge everyone here just getting started, like me, to give back after you're done.
Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/3/2007

Kenneth............CONGRATULATIONS!

Your public and private contributions to this site and the O-B process is greatly appreciated.

You set a daily example of why this site is here and what makes it such a great resource, especially to those who stumble upon this community bruised and battered by the conventional home building world.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.