movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Thank You! I love the site. Keep up the good work.
Shawn H., Lake Elsinore, CA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

2 Questions Please!

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Melody's Forum Posts: 4
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Melody in Oviedo, FL on 7/21/2006

Our plans are almost back from the architect and we are starting to get bids.  I found a breakdown of costs that stated that windows should be 4% of your hard construction costs.

Just wondering if this was an accurate estimate for everyone?  Also what is a reasonable amount for kitchen cabinets in a semi-large kitchen, 15'x15'? 

This is another area that seems to be coming in on the high side.  The entire trim (cabs, countertops, doors, millwork)  in the house is only supposed to hit 12%.  Does this also seem accurate?

I'm scared to go over on these things as it will be a start of a bad trend lol.

Thanks in advance,
Melody

Reply...

Tom's Forum Posts: 160
Interview Answers: 156

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tom in Stroudsburg, PA on 7/21/2006

Melody, just for the record every home is different or we all would be forced to live in the same type box. My windows came in at 4% but I did all my work. I don't have a lot of windows and people have pointed that out. I also used a medium grade window. If you're ordering good windows and all rooms have windows then I doubt 4% is accurate in your case. My kitchen is a little larger, 26 cabinets -  Lowe's priced at $18,500 or 12% for high-end. My niece married a cabinetmaker and he lined me up with good cabinets through his supplier at cost, $7,800 - 5%. If it's not in one column it's in another, if your chart went this far it would probably show the floor at 5 or 6%; mine is at 13% without floor coverings. When I started pricing stuff for my house I wished for everything high-end and when the numbers started to run away from a mortgage number I felt comfortable with, I lowered some of my expectations. Did away with the full brick finish, 10' ceilings, and put the garage off 'til later. The point is, build what you can afford. By the way, people in these forums ask for a breakdown like that all the time. Could you post a link or attach the file to a post?
Reply...

Angela's Forum Posts: 24
Journal Entries: 7
Interview Answers: 23

Private Message

Image from Angela's blog

Login to Vote

By Angela in Lake Helen, FL on 8/24/2006

I am also in the market for kitchen cabinets. I had originally budgeted about $5-6,000 for them. I went to Lowe's to get one of their "kitchen designers" to help me figure out costs. She told me to figure about 20%. That seemed ridiculous to me! I'm really just investigating some further options such as contacting a cabinet maker or visiting an outlet of some sort. Take a look at my design and tell me what you think I should be budgeting it at. I would prefer to use a hickory or a cherry wood. I could probably supply someone with the cherry myself if they were to make the cabinets for me.

Reply...

Phillip's Forum Posts: 77

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 8/24/2006

Angela:

We are building a 2,650 sq ft custom home with all low-e, insulated, vinyl windows and our window bids are about 4% of our cost of the building (not including land, site prep, well, septic, etc.) They are Betterbilt 3500 Series mostly. That does not include installation.

Our kitchen cabinets, which are good quality Kitchencraft cherry with upgraded doors and quality finish, will be about 6% (not including installation). I should note that all bids we received locally were more like 12% for the Kitchencraft (including installation), but we were able to drastically reduce the price by ordering from BuyCabinets.Com (thank goodness, because 12% would have ruined my budget!).

Phillip

Reply...

Lori's Forum Posts: 122
Journal Entries: 89
Interview Answers: 202

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Lori's blog

Login to Vote

By Lori in Reno, NV on 8/26/2006

Melody,

We went with Pella low E, several tempered, 1 obscure, and 2 block (from a different company). I also requested them to open from the bottom up, not from the sides and our 21 windows cost just a little over 1% of our total budget (excluding land). We have not yet ordered the doors or cabinets, but will post when I have a price for them. Feel free to see our journal toolehouse.

Good Luck. Lori

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.