There is a lot that has taken place before this first post, so I'll try to get everything in. This is the first time for owner-building for my wife and I and we had no idea what to expect. At first, we decided to get turnkey quotes and then price everything ourselves. Once all the numbers were in we would decide how this house was going to be built. After reading the book, I felt we could do this. It says 1,000 hours of planning; well, I passed 1,000 hours a few months back, but it has been well worth it. Okay enough rambling on.
We found a lot right under three acres back in October of last year and after much discussion decided to buy. It was a little bigger than we wanted, but as this project has progressed, we are pleased to have a lot that easily set up for construction.
My wife and I both really liked the look of a Mediterranean style and after pouring through plan books after plan books we found the basic look we wanted.
I drew out the first set of plans with a home CAD program and then started looking for an architect to take those and convert them to something we could actually build with. After much searching locally, I found a website, houseplanarchitect.com, and sent the rough plans to them. Dan did an incredible job and was actually the best price I found. Through all of the changes, we found him to be quick and thorough. The final set called for a 3,560 living area with just under 4,700 total area. I would highly recommend these guys.
The real work begins:
We had lined up all of our foundation subs and were ready to start on Friday September 14th, but we had a surprise visitor on the 13th. Hurricane Humberto came ashore to our west and while we didn't have damage, there was a ton of rain. First test, our property drains great, this only delayed us one day as the forming started on Saturday. The forming, grading, rough plumbing and rough electrical all followed over the next days leading up to our pre-pour inspection Thursday evening. Everything checked out and the pour started at 4:00 a.m, on Friday the 21st. There was a slight miscalculation on concrete. My concrete guy has estimated about 110 yards, but we ended up with 134. Our concrete salesperson was on site during the pour and really helped with getting the additional trucks to us quickly.
Well this brings us up to date. The next step will be the walls. We chose a panelized system, called Fortress Frame. Due to the size of the house, additional materials had to be ordered and the panels should start next week. Once that happens I'll be back with an update.