Posted to crystal-falls-home by Jamie in Cedar Park, TX
When my husband first brought up the idea to sell our house two years ago, I was against the idea. We had a great big house with tons of room, on a cul de sac and we had already put in a pool. We also had a good bunch of neighbors with lots of children in the same age range as ours and had frequent get-togethers in the street when the weather was pleasant.
My husband wouldn't let the subject of a new house drop. We always said we loved our floor plan and with just a couple of improvements it would be perfect. What we lacked was a big covered porch/outdoor living space and I would LOVE to have my own craft room. He finally convinced me to just start looking around at other neighborhoods where our builder could have built the same plan w/a few modifications. We weren't finding any lots we liked and couldn't find any other builders w/a floor plan that worked as well. Then he came across the Crystal Falls/Grand Mesa neighborhood where you buy the land and then pick any builder to build whatever you want. I still did not want to sell my house. This neighborhood was farther out from all the convenient shopping, even farther away from our friends and family and there were no sidewalks!
Well -- after studying potential floor plans for a few months, he won me over to the idea, and we got our house on the market and sold it within a few months. (In addition, I had another baby in the middle of all this.) With all of our planning and delays with the architects and loan process, it was another year before construction began. And on top of that, the building process has been full of it own delays and frustrations. (The final floor plan design is really spectacular - IMO.)
When we started to build, my husband, who is a Realtor as well, decided to list the house for sale just to see what happened. We argued over that a little, but I just let it go since over the last couple of months, the home market out there has really slowed and I didn't worry too much that he would sell it out from under me. Plus this house is really specialized with the two game rooms and separate apartment, and I knew this would make it harder to sell.
Don't get me wrong, I understand how beneficial it would be to sell it, take the profit and roll it into another build project somewhere else in the neighborhood. But, I have a few issues -- this lot seems just perfect for us and I worry we won't find another as good. It is mostly flat, but still has better views than most other lots. It is also near the front of the neighborhood, so you get in/out quicker. Our floor plan was designed to benefit this lot, and because it is wider than most of the others we might not be able to build the same plan. Also, the land costs have gone up $20K to $30K since we bought and after paying taxes and factoring in the rise in the cost of building materials, I am afraid we wouldn't come out that much ahead. And the worst is that I will have to live in a disappointing rental for another year instead of "my dream house."
Where am I going with all this you ask?
I found out today that some other Realtor and his client have spent a couple of hours walking around our house. The interested buyer called my husband up to find out if he could put Viking appliances in the kitchen, wood floors in the master and he wanted to reconfigure the cabinetry in the media room to fit a big TV instead of a projector. My husband told the guy everything is negotiable and to have his Realtor give him a call.
We'll see if he calls. This guy could be all talk, who knows? But now I am very nervous and am having a fit over here...
That's it for now, I'll follow up later with any developments on this subject.