From $9.95



Total: 33,043
Visited Last 30 days: 149
Forum Messages
Total: 20,987
Last 30 days: 19
Forum Evaluations
Total: 24,160
Last 30 days: 0
Journal Entries
Total: 5,415
Last 30 days: 15
Total: 15,255
Last 30 days: 8
Total: 87,431


12 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
8 Visits | 2 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
getpestcontrol Delhi, AL
109 Visits | 4 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Tenants-Right-When-S... Maryland, MD
678 Visits | 9 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
Dream-Home Biloxi, MS
25 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
26 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
TheHoskensProject Dome-ville, FL
68,355 Visits | 177 Posts | 525 Pix | 4 Videos
1860s-Texas-rehabnew... Boerne, TX
50,531 Visits | 45 Posts | 194 Pix | 0 Videos
297 Visits | 3 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
90 Visits | 1 Posts | 2 Pix | 0 Videos
furnacerepairon St Catharines, AL
94 Visits | 1 Posts | 9 Pix | 0 Videos
furnacemkm Markham, AL
93 Visits | 1 Posts | 7 Pix | 0 Videos
noithattrieugia tphcm, AL
115 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
183 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
Packers-and-Movers Delhi, AL
464 Visits | 2 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Best-Access-Doors Jackson, AL
230 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
bird Springfield, MO
223 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
Tanglewood Colorado Springs, CO
120,897 Visits | 1,004 Posts | 2,581 Pix | 47 Videos
307 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
349 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

This is my first time on this site, having just read The Owner-Builder Book--I can see that it will be very helpful.
Shaun in Sturgeon Bay, WI

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.

Steven's Forum Posts: 89
Journal Entries: 1004
Interview Answers: 255

Private Message

My Construction Website

Steven's Selected Image

Subscribe to this journal...

This journal has been viewed 120898 times.

Newest << >> Oldest

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 2/25/2020

Well it's all kinda "gelled" together but I do indeed believe I've got a solid plan for at least the first of the 2020 work here around Tanglewood.

There are two main goals to accomplish the first half of the year (I've learned the hard way that having six or seven balls in the air at once doesn't work well):

  •  I have been wanting to widen out the driveway a few feet, and to me I can "see" a double retaining wall with places to plant smaller/medium sized trees and lots of hardier flowers for the bees.  I've long wanted to get both sassafras and Meader persimmon trees up and going here in Colorado, so I've ordered a few that should arrive later this spring.  That means I have to get off my butt and get that retaining wall and planter stuff all built--so that's what I'm doing. 

    The trees have been ordered and so today I started picking out the retaining wall block.  By my estimate I'll need around six palettes, which coincidently is right at around six tons of block.  I can't possibly carry all of that up in one go, but I figure I can swing by Lowes every two or three days to load up about 20 blocks at a time (which is just under 1000 pounds).  That means a lot of hand loading and unloading but it's perfectly doable.  

  • Having worked with my new solar batteries for a couple of years now I can very much see that they don't perform nearly as well in cold weather.  That's why I built a whole new shed with ICFs (like Tanglewood itself is) to keep them as warm as possible.  My hope was that the heat from the equipment inside the shed would generate enough warmth that the batteries would stay warm--or at least cold.  That has not happened however, and as a result their overall system performance declines when it's cold.

    Here's where Solar LeRoy comes in.  As it happens Solar LeRoy had a bunch of old solar heating panels, and he happened to mention he was wanting to get some PEx for radiant heat for his new house.  I have leftover PEx from the build, and so a trade was arranged....I went down and got the panel over the weekend.  It's sitting in my garage right now; it'll need a bit of cleaning but it should work great.

    My loose plan at the moment (yet to be firmed up) is to install the panel on the sunny side of the shed I built, set up a pressure tank and some pumps/thermostats/etc, and fill it all up with glycol.  The system will hopefully keep things warm and toasty during our frosty-but-sunny winter days.  The tubing is already in place in the floor (I had planned for this when I built it) and there's a nice corner for the tank to occupy.  The heat from both the radiant heat in the floor and the big pressure tank full of hot fluid should (I hope) do the trick.  We'll see of course....
I've got a couple of pics of the solar panel resting in the garage where it'll stay for now.  I need to check a couple more stores yet to make the final selection of the block.

Still it's all progress!

Steven in Colorado


Here's a shot of the "front side" of the panel.....
.….and here's a shot of the back side (as much as can be easily seen anyway).

Comments (2)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 2/8/2020 9:00:34 PM

It occurred to me that I hadn't done a good job of keeping things updated here, though to be honest The Were Reasons since my last post at the Closing of the Year.

In contrast to the first half of the winter, which was mostly sunny days punctuated with brief snowstorms that actually cleared out so we had sunlight again, most of January and into February has been a lot of cloudy days.  As a result the overall batteries reserves are low, and I ended up having to fire up my back up generator a couple of times.  I dare say that worked out fairly well though and I now have good measurements on how long a "small" (standard BBQ grill sized tank) and a half-filled "large" (100 pound tank) lasts.  I'm pretty happy with its performance so far.  I need to make a note to check oil and such since it had a long run the other day and we have more clouds slated......

That's the single biggest minus to any off-grid solar system; it's all on you to provide power.  If the panels are covered with snow, or if there's three days of unending clouds, you're either out of luck or you  need to have some kind of backup....

On a somewhat related note, I had Solar LeRoy up at the beginning of the month we figured out why my generator was only providing one "leg" of power.  (A side note--if you're providing 240V of power it comes in on two connections of 120V and offset by phase.  The charging equipment is fine with that and turn it all into DC power for the batteries anyway for the most part, but I only had one connection/leg that was doing anything.)

We dug around and after about an hour found a remarkably simple explanation--one of the charging circuits had come completely disconnected!  We figure this probably happened when everything was moved into the new shed when it was dropped; not FAR, not HARD, but ENOUGH.  It wasn't at all obvious of course and I'm pretty sure Solar LeRoy was kicking himself.....

At least we have proper generator power now.  AND after a day or two I realized that this MIGHT have also fixed the Ecogen Generator issue...

See, WAY BACK when we got the new shed built and everything moved over to the shed, connected up and whatnot, the Ecogen suddenly stopped working.  This was the second Ecogen I had up there and it was surprising to me when it stopped working.  Winter was coming, I wanted something up there, so I purchased a simple "work generator" that honestly performed adequately for two years. 

Over the course of time that generator just plain wore out and so I purchased another one a few months ago.  Every so often I would turn on the big propane tank, stick a battery into the Ecogen, and fire it up for a few seconds.  Every time it would chug a moment or two and then display a weird error--VSCF FIELD LOSS.  There's remarkably little information on this kind of error, with most information just saying you to call Generac.  Which I had done originally, and they had completely replaced it, and it still didn't work, and they never called back and I had stuff to do and......time went on.


I'm an engineer after all, and it occurs to me that the Ecogen might not be able to generate a proper internal electric field if the load wasn't properly connected.   And it would indeed have been improperly connected given the accidental disconnection of one leg of the would not have liked that at all.

SO....once I get a replacement battery procured and installed (it'll be a couple of weeks) and I have a fair enough weekend day, I'm going to have to test the Ecogen now that it's properly hooked up.  Mind you this might be danged short test--or I might just have gotten that puppy running again!

Time will tell, but it's on my To Do List for 2020 now.

In other news....

I spent much of January getting the last of the blackout curtains installed around the house at last.  I had thought I was all done on that last week of January when I put up my last curtain, sighed with satisfaction, and reveled in the Awesome---for about three minutes as I took some tools down to put them away and then came back up the steps for another load.  And then I realized I hadn't put a curtain on the upstairs patio door leading out to the deck....


So that's all done now, at least.  NOW the quiet satisfaction is indulged...huzzah!

We also had a bobcat come traipsing down the canyon earlier in the week after we  had a fast snowstorm.  I snapped some excellent pictures of where he'd been.

So all in all it's been an interesting month.  I have hopes I might be able to properly check out the Ecogen before the end of February. I've ordered some sassafras trees for the upcoming spring and this will drive me to get some retaining wall work done.  Solar LeRoy has offered to swap me a couple of old solar hot water panels for my remaining PEx remainders from building the  house and I've gladly taken him up on it; I'll use them to finish up the heating of the Solar Shed so that come next winter it'll stay much more toasty than it is so far.  And of course I've got that ceiling work to do where The Leak was; so far this winter I seem to have finally stopped it.

Busy busy!

Steven in Colorado


Tracks from the mountain lion wandering down the road sometime during the night.
Same prints, slightly different angle.
The left curtain by the circular stair....
...and the right curtain by the circular stair.
The "weird" octangonal window I put in just because.
The nearly-missed patio door curtains open....
....and closed.

Comments (3)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 12/31/2019 8:08:08 PM

Happy 2020 Everybody!

Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 12/31/2019 8:06:10 PM

Well now, it's been a fascinating 2019.  Overall I think we made some good progress around Tanglewood together with a couple of setbacks, but progress none-the-less.

The year began with my calculating the weight of the chandelier and then finding enough "stuff" to hang from the mount to ensure it couldn't possibly fall.  My biggest concern (I found another a couple of months later) was that the old ceiling fan was lighter than the chandelier, and that the chandelier might be too heavy for the mount.  That turned out to not be the biggest problem...more on that later....but the good news was that the mount was very firmly anchored and never provided an issue.

In February I had a couple of things happen.  The worst was that one of my charge controllers apparently blew up; suddenly I had power from two of my charge controllers with a  corresponding decrease in overall power production.  Fortunately since I have three charge controllers that wasn't a huge hit, and I of course contacted Solar LeRoy who came up to replace the dead one.  Found some badly melted wiring in the lower box.....two feeds that were a bit too close together....but we got it all properly fixed up.  I also got a bunch of curtains properly installed and did some finishing work on some of the furniture I had inherited (but which I didn't actually want).  

March found me continuing to hang up some curtains and getting some of the old furniture stained and cleaned up.  I also got some parts ready to get the chandelier up; this required acquiring some bolts and hooks and such so it would hang properly.  A couple of weeks after that I managed to dodge a near disaster, when I found out that the "ceiling fan ball and socket" hanger had stretched and wouldn't support the weight of the chandelier.  Fortunately we found this it out while trying to winch the chandelier up--we put a winch on the line to haul it up and almost immediately the fitting was pulled right out of the socket.  IF we had actually gotten the chandelier up there it almost certainly have crashed down about five minutes after we got it up there, which would have been DISASTEROUS!  It took me a bit to figure out....

In April I spent most of the month doing exactly that, figuring how to properly and solidly hang the chandelier.  I decided that rather than mount it as it was meant to be done (deep wood screws into the rafters) I instead elected to drill holes all the way thru the rafter and use long lag bolts to anchor the whole thing from the top of the mount.  That way there was no possibility of the whole thing falling short of the rafter itself shattering.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the builders of Tanglewood went over and above, installing a 2x6" cross-beam that was a significant upgrade as the Arlington called for.  

May was something of a wash; I did a bunch of prep work for the chandelier, getting the parts and test fitting them.  A couple of pieces had to be spray painted, and I had to spent a good weekend cleaning out the old (bad idea) hay we put in to try to keep some flowers overwinter.  That generated some really weird mushrooms though....

Our big event in June was the arrival (very late in the season due to weather) of the honey bees!  We'd been wanting honey bees up here for years and even did a trial run a decade or so ago that didn't work out very well, but this month we got them up and running and sure seemed very happy.  There massive plethora of flowers up and down the canyon made them very  happy I'm sure.  Honestly the bees kept me pretty danged busy, but fortunately.

July kept me pretty danged busy with work and figuring out ways to keep the ants away from the bees, so that pretty much up all of my time.  I got a couple more curtains hung at least as well as a couple more pictures properly put up in various locations.

August was the most significant month IMO, as Tanglewood's Crown finally was installed!  Yes, the chandelier was properly put up securely and was a triumph and the capstone of a long journey. I was happy, Colleen was happy, everybody was happy.  It looks absolutely gorgeous.  We also had more fun with bees, and some baby turkeys made an appearance several times, and generally we had a solid end of summer and move into fall.

September allowed me to get a lot of the smaller jobs done now that the chandelier was up.  I cleared up all of the old plywood left over from the old shed and hauled it up to the house to be chopped up and burned.  Solar LeRoy came up to tweak a couple of the parameters, and I installed some big bookcases that had been somewhat waiting in the wings until the chandelier got put up.

September thru October was starting work on laying out additional drainage around the house.  I knew I couldn't do the full up install I had talked a couple of years ago with just a couple of months of good weather left, but I could at least get some of it done.  That's exactly what I did, installing the drains immediately behind the house and filling up the trench I'd dig a couple of years back.  I ran the pipe back around the house and then down to an outlet to the creek.  I also walked around to mark where the drains will run when I pick this all back up again in the summer.  In between I got some more curtains up all around the house, moved a bit of furniture around, checked in on the bees, and finally figured out what was (probably; I wanted more testing yet) causing the leak that I'd talked about so long ago.  I'll have to be sure by letting the winter snows and melts perform a proper test for me, but if that all goes well I may be able to at last work of repairing the ceiling there on the second floor.

November saw a lot of work on the narrow windows once all of the curtains were done on the regular windows, and by the end of the month they were all properly installed and covered.  The remaining two windows, the big octagonal windows on the second floor and overlooking the Great Room, are the only two left.  I also got all of the radiant heat tubing all properly insulated, which should help overall efficiency of the heating system a bit.   I then got a mattress and springs and whatnot that had been sitting in the garage just taking up space moved up to one of the bedrooms where it belonged....that took all day, but it finally got done at least.

And that brings us to December where a bunch of little things that needed doing got done, nothing worth a journal entry per se.  I got a new UPS installed for the solar system, worked (unsuccessfully so far) on getting a personal alarm system up and running for my mother, and generally just goofed off more than not.  It was a fine and good stand-down, and I have no regrets.

So here we are, at the Closing of the Year.  I think 2019 has overall been a pretty danged successful one, with the highlight far and away being the Chandelier.  Looking ahead to 2020, I plan to work on extending out the drainage a bit.  Those two final oddball curtains need to get put up.  I want to pull up the rest of the computer room flooring to be replace it with some type of tile and double check how the radiant heat under there is installed.  I've also been pondering a couple of ways to tweak the placement of the solar panels so as to optimize them a bit for the winter weather....gotta think some more on that yet.  

Looking forward to it.....I do believe 2020 is gonna be GLORIOUS.....

Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 12/21/2019

At 9:19 PM this evening, the winter solstice passed here in the dark of the winter.

And now, thank Odin, it starts getting brighter again!  


Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 10/11/2019 10:17:31 PM

While taking a look at the snowfall amounts from we got last night (Tanglewood got 4.75" of global warming) I figured I' put out a shot of the hive.  We tucked it in with an insulation jacket and then I put a towel across the "front" (their entry is on the bottom right) to help prevent wind from blowing right into their door.  It's not obvious but they can get in/out just fine with the towel there; turns out bees are very smart about figuring out things like that and they aren't slowed down hardly at all by the towel in the way.

Stay warm little girls!

Steven in Colorado


Straps to keep everything snug and tight.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 10/11/2019 10:12:46 PM

Back when Tanglewood was being built we had to use a product called LiteDeck to make the runs across top of ICF between the first and second floor.  It's an amazingly strong product that uses a mix of Styrofoam and steel beams for strength, and we ended up making the floors very thick (19").  We ran this all the way out across where the outside deck is, which they then covered with rubberized membrane for water proofing purposes and such.

Usually one never even thinks about the decking at all, frankly, but with our snowfall overnight I was presented with an interesting picture in the morning.  You can clearly see how the decking is run in this picture, with the "deep" snow being where each LiteDeck panels alternates between steel beam and Styrofoam insulation.

I thought this was pretty danged cool myself.

Steven in Colorado


Pretty neat to see how the alternating foam and steel translate up to the deck.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 10/11/2019 9:53:31 PM

Well now, one problem with having a wet snowfall is that you get to deal with the consequences.  On the plus side that means everybody got some badly needed water, and I was able to burn a whole bunch of trash and wood, and generally it kicked me in the butt to make sure things were tight against the cold and such.

On the minus side, however, it means your leak work gets tested....


I went upstairs about noon and halfway up the steps I could hear the water leaking into the buckets below.  It was a steady stream of water, not continuous but steady.  I cleaned up the immediate mess and then began to investigate where it was coming from.

Well, at least I have a better feeling for what's going now.  Last year I had determined that much of the leak was from around the patio door upstairs on the turret, so I did a lot of work to apply caulking and re-slope some sections and re-caulk around the windows and various lighting fixtures.  I checked the sign.  I checked the attic interior along that sign.  I checked the patio door...BINGO!

As I'd suspected last year the patio door and the incompetent flashing the contractors did was the cause of the problem, and that was quite evident here.  I had cut two sections around the door on either side to test for water, and while the subflooring was dry on the "outside" side but it was very definitely wet on the "house" side.  I quickly swept off all of the water from away from that portion of the roof and the dripping completely subsided about five minutes later, which helped convince me that was in fact the problem.  Then I took a closer look outside on that side of the door and it was very clear that this was where the water was coming in.....the rubberized surface in that section is all "bubbled".  That's normal in these cases; the bubbling is caused by gasses released by wood (the subflooring) decomposing underneath.  The section in question runs about a foot out from the door and perhaps a foot along the door as well.

So...while this is very annoying at least the snowfall helped to zero in on the problem.  There was nothing at all inside the attic, nothing at all along the turret was all coming in right there at that section along the patio door.  I'm going to see what I can do on a temporary basis to prevent any further leaking for the winter, and then I can start collecting tools and make plans for how I will fix that threshold.

A very annoying issue, to be sure, but at least the source has been confirmed.....that's always a start!

Steven in Colorado


Items pressed into service to catch the dripping (as I was pretty sure it was going to leak after this storm).
The poor ceiling that's been brutalized by the leaking. I figure I'm going to have to replace this section through here, probably next summer.
The section where the water is coming in and the wood has been causing badness.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 10/5/2019

It was a slow and chilly morning but things finally warmed up enough that I could continue doing some of the drainage work outside, picking up from where I left off last week.

I decided to start with the laying of the 4" socked pipe along the back (that big rolled pile shown in that last entry), installing it along the ditch I'd dug years and years ago.  There was a drainpipe from the gutters along the front of my mother's apartment, so I decided to route that water to the fastest exit, which turned out to be coincident with the 4" socked pipe I was running from up behind the house proper.  That was only a 3" connection, but fortunately I had several Y's so I could tie the 3" and 4" pipes together.  Once I dug out the run for the 3" pipe and then made sure it was properly sloped (so the water would flow away from Tanglewood) I then continued on out away from the house and towards the drop down towards the creek.

That took most of the day, getting the run properly sloped, but once I did attaching up all the pipe was easy.  After that it was just a matter of filling in the run.

Since it was coming up on nightfall I only got part of the run filled in, but some of it was done at least.  A lot of the dirt I'd made piles out of years ago I was finally able to put back where it came from!

Tomorrow I'll fill in the rest of the run going towards the back of the house, then start working towards the downhill side to connect this run to the pipe down the road.

Slowly but surely!

Steven in Colorado


Looking down towards the creek and the pipe buried there. You can see my portable water tank there to the right.
The as yet unburied pipe heading towards the back side of the house. It's hard to see but there's a big pile of dirt that will be tossed onto that pipe shortly.
The pipe coming down from that run of gutters. It runs into the ground and connects up to the 4" pipe shown in the last pic.

Comments (3)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 9/22/2019

With summer past us and fall well upon us, it's a bit easier to dig outdoor now.  Because of this (and because I'd really like to get one of my garage bays back), I figured it was finally time to start installing some drain.

I had started this project literally years ago, when I started gathering socked drainpipe (i.e., pipe that is in a cloth tube to prevent dirt and stuff from getting into the pipe to plug it up) for this project. I'd amassed some 1900 feet of it (19 rools of 100' pipe) over the course of far too many trips to Home Depot. It all got stacked up in Garage Bay #3, and I even rented a small backhoe to start the drainpipe.

Then two things happened that changed a bit of direction in my plans. The first was we had a HUGE rainstorm, the gutters plugged up an filled the window well, and water seeped down into the apartment. That was indeed unfortunate, and in the aftermath of the cleanup I found a different approach than I’d originally planned. The plan was to install a drain and run pipe under the window well to handle any overflow; with the gutter inserts I installed they no longer can get plugged. SO….I had a whole lot of pipe and deferred installing it a bit for other, more pressing matters.

And then of course the second was my downtime at the hospital, that basically screwed up all of my plans there for close to a year. Very annoying, that.

SO… that the chandelier is up I looked at my list of Projects in Waiting and decided this was one I could get started on. The weather right now is just about perfect---warm during the days, cool at night, easy to dig the foot or so down I’ll need to get the pipe run. Some of the pipe I will simply bury, other sections I’ll leave open and put rock on top so water can run down into the pipe and away.

I got the first bit of work done by clearing out all of the sticker weeds and raspberry bushes that had basically enveloped the apartment end of the house so I could start running the pipe. Got rid of a lot of weeds that were in the way and deposited them down the road where they might (hopefully) take root and provide some good cover for that slope.

It’s a start at least. Clearing out all of the weeds took most of the weekend but I’m now ready to start laying down the pipe….that’s the plan anyway. I don’t think I’ll like get it all in before winter shows up to mess up my plans, but at least I’ll get part of it done! :)

After that I mostly assessed what needed to be done and started positioning pipe and whatnot, thinking through how the network of drainage pipes will connect to each other.  There's a lot of digging ahead...

Steven in Colorado


A shot of the area towards the back of the house, looking generically uphill.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 9/15/2019

I've been working on trying to get any number of things "done" now that the chandelier is up and solid.  I took down all of the scaffolding, moving one section up to the second floor for eventual ceiling work and the rest around the edges of rooms right now.  I moved some big and heavy bookcases I inherited from Colleen's grandmother to their desired locations (and they are indeed heavy; the man who owned them originally had them on rails and small tracks at his place).  

One of the issues that had cropped up over the course of the summer was some solar work I had Solar LeRoy do, and today he was back up today to finish the some final work and tweak some settings.  I had noticed that one of my charge controllers didn't seem to properly handle amperage and when the panels were in full sunlight it would seem as if all of the charge "moved" over to a different controller, leaving the original pulling zero amps.  It took some trial and error but we eventually figured it out, tweaking some voltage biases that had somehow been introduced that were throwing things off.

While waiting for Solar LeRoy to arrive I took the opportunity to cut up and haul up all of the remaining plywood from the old shed I'd stacked out of the way.  It was good to get this all cleaned up, and now I have a huge pile of stuff to burn once we get some wet weather again.  I know from experience that old plywood burns pretty well, and cutting it up gave me a chance to tweak the chainsaw a bit too in preparation for potential winter fun.

All and all a good and useful day all around!

Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/27/2019

Now that I've got the chandelier up I spent the day cleaning up the huge mess that I'd accumulated in the Great Room over the last year of construction.  Much of it went back out to the garage where it belonged, a few things got redistributed to the designated locations, and generally there was much sweeping and cleaning and whatnot.

Once I got things cleared out I was able to deploy one of my toys.  A couple of years ago my company gave me a huge 20-year bonus gift voucher, and I selected to get a Roomba.  My intention was pretty much always to set it free in the Great Room, where it would rove around and keep that room clean.  It can't climb and the room is definitely of a specific size, so I figured it would work out quite well.

And today I got him up and running!

His name is Huey.  There's a short pic from one of the Arlos of him busily cleaning up the enormous mess that was on the floor.....

Steven in Colorado


Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/21/2019

In order to understand this posting I have to set the stage a bit.

About a month ago my mother decided she wanted a red hibiscus plant.  This took me a bit by surprise, but like a good son I went in search of one.

I checked several local nurseries....nothing but some yellow and white varieties.

I checked some of the local hardware stores like Ace, Lowes, and Home Depot since they all have nurseries for many flowering plants....nothing.

I checked Wal Mart since they sometimes sell plants like that....nothing.

And then, that following weekend I went into town to fetch groceries.  There are the grocery store was a huge collection of plants of various types....including a Red Sunset Hibiscus!

Okay, bought and presented and mother Very Happy.

Fast forward to today, and we spotted that it had put out a gorgeous red flower.....


Steven in Colorado


Just a gorgeous flower I think.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/13/2019

This thing is so danged did good Colleen, spotting it and then convincing me to get it!

Steven in Colorado


A pic from the back and to the side.
A shot all centered against the fireplace behind.

Comments (1)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/12/2019

They're growing up quick now!  Compare these pics from just a couple of weeks ago.  As near as I can tell we haven't lost any yet either....which is quite frankly amazing.

Steven in Colorado


They're all getting quite large now.
They are also moving a bit more "spread out" than they used to.
They're also much more energetic than they were.
Here my mom had tossed another cup of corn down for them.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/10/2019

At long long last, with many mistakes, false starts, re-trenchments, near-disasters, delays, breaking equipment, and whatnot else.....the chandelier is now IN ITS PROPER PLACE!

Yes, Tanglewood's Crown has finally been installed.

I had decided last week that after many trials and problems over the last nine months (great Scott has it been that long!?!?!?) I needed to stop with what, in retrospect, where half measures.  I'd tried a manual winch and I'd tried an old-fashioned come along, neither one of which worked properly while attached to the scaffold itself.  I finally decided to completely move everything and mount the winch to the railings outside the big door.

So after a brief bout of problems early in the morning with a pulley that decided to fall apart, I finally just checked everything about four more times, hooked everything together--and up it went!

I had initially thought that the chandelier was a tad low, but after a couple of hours with it I decided otherwise.

The. Chandelier. Is. Up.


Tomorrow I'll caulk everything in properly and get the shades properly installed.  For now, I simply wish to bask in the glory...….   ;)

Steven in Colorado


A short trial run with everything connected....note the chandelier is in fact off the floor.
A close up shot.
Here you can see it's going to go Way Up There.
Look at it all ready to pull up....
Partway up!
At long last!
All lit up! Gorgeous!
A shot from the second floor.
A close up shot from that same spot on the second floor.
One more shot from down happy this is DONE.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/10/2019 I am getting things ready to make the final lift of the chandelier up to its proper spot.  I had hooked things up, done a couple of short test runs of the winch and the lift to make sure everything cleared properly and all, and to make a judgement on how long I'd need to run the winch and such.

And as I lifted the chandelier a couple of inches on the test......I was suddenly pelted by bits of metal!

What the heck....?

So after making sure the chandelier was well anchored I climbed up the scaffold to find out what was going find that the main pulley I was using had apparently disintegrated!

It had just fallen apart.

Broken into pieces.

No longer a pully, just miscellaneous hunks of metal.

Good. Grief!

Thank you Odin for not having this happen when I was winching the chandelier up!

Pics of the debris below....

Steven in Colorado


What the heck happened here? It just fell apart!
No warning that I knew of either....just broken pieces....good grief....

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/3/2019

More footage of my awesome bee hive...

Steven in Colorado


Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/3/2019

Well now, I finally was able to turn my attention to the chandelier yet again after a few weeks of relative inaction.

In truth I had not been idle, but everything I'd attempted tended not to work as successfully as I'd wanted.  I could raise the chandelier but using the winch (which I switched to after trying to use a come along) ended up moving the scaffolding to which it was attached.  As I would raise the chandelier the scaffolding which actually creep towards the chandelier, with the upshot being it would end up in the chandelier's way--I couldn't raise it any further because everything was in the way.

Mind you I figured this out after various attempts to relocate the winch to different spots in and around the scaffolding.  I did actually succeed somewhat it getting the chandelier well off the ground (as you can see in the pics), but after a long day of failures one after the other I eventually decided I simply was not going to be able to lift it while attached to the is simply too heavy.

SO.  I figured out what I'm going to do to get this done.  It's well past time to get this done and off of my to-do list, to be sure.

I'm going to bolt the winch to a 4x4 (I have several left over from the deconstruction of the old shed) and then attach said 4x4 to the railings on the porch.  The line from the winch is long enough to reach up to the chandelier mount and back, so that shouldn't be an issue.  The winch will be pulling against the railings tied in with a half dozen or so strong tie-downs, which should prevent any unfortunate accidents.  I'll borrow a spare car battery I have up here in the garage which should maintain power long enough to get it up there.  I want to try to have the scaffolding nearby so I can untangle things or move the line as needed, but I also have to make sure there's a clear line of sight and such.  

At least that's the plan anyway.  I started moving pieces parts outside to do all this but unfortunately given the time of day and other chores in waiting it'll have to wait until next week.  But I know what I'm going to do.

Until then the pics below are actually pretty good.  You can see how it's all mounted along with a  good pictures of the pulley Up There.

I will get this done!

Steven in Colorado


The chandelier sitting prettily on the floor.
The chandelier lifted!
Another a shot from the side, showing the chandelier is clearly off the floor.
A picture from above.
A longer shot showing the chandelier is a good three foot off the ground.
A shot of the mount and pulley Way Up There.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 8/3/2019

I just happened to be stepping out on the patio and caught this little girl busy on the flowers on the weeds hereabouts.  There were a bunch of them all over the place; they apparently are taking full advantage of the pollen and nectar.

Steven in Colorado


A bee happily doing its thing on a flower.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 7/31/2019

Captured this from one of my cameras during the day today.

The bees seem happy....

Steven in Colorado


Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 7/26/2019

I spotted this beauty running up the canyon after work.  I'ts a big, very "dense" white mushroom very well defined cap and base.

Colleen's gonna love it!

Steve in Colorado


The top of this beauty, dirty but in good shape.
The underside.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 7/20/2019

This time I spotted a variety of unusual ones--some smaller "dense" white ones outside near the woods, a yellow that has a very dense undercap that looks exactly like a piece of foam insulation, and then a cluster of very "loose" and fragile ones on the back of the house.  The smaller ones were particularly interesting...they looked a lot like eggs, and contained a very liquid yellow center.  It was very difficult to extract these smaller ones since they were so very fragile, but I did what I could and set them out to dry for Colleen.

Amazing the variety of these things!

Steven in Colorado


A whole bunch of white mushrooms here....
A larger white one definitely different than the others.
This one is very "dirty"; that's its natural coloration too.
This puppy is VERY yellow and "dense".
Another dense white mushroom, very similar to the red one I found a couple of days ago.
All of the shrooms all laid out to dry.....

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 7/20/2019

Looks like nearly all of the little babies we capture on camera a couple of weeks ago are still around....I counted around twenty in these shots.  They started over by my mom's apartment and then wandered over to the patio outside my kitchen.  I got a couple of pictures from down there, then moved up to the deck where they didn't realize I was there (they never look up, apparently).

Cute little buggers!

Steven in Colorado


Not a great shot with the patio door in the way.
The mama turkey on the right stuck her head up to look at me, so I figured I needed to perhaps change my vantage point.
This one is from the deck, which basically is right above and to one side from the patio.
Another good shot of the many many babies.....
They're starting to wander off here.
You can see a couple of the babies wandering down through the weeds.
They sure are cute little things.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 7/16/2019

Colleen has asked me to start "keeping" mushrooms I find so she can dry them out and put them into bottle as decoration.  I am nothing if not accommodating so.....

Spotted a big red-caped (kinda pink, really) this afternoon while moving some old wood up from the old shed.  After I snapped a pic I dug it up for Colleen.....

Steven in Colorado


Very nice big was very "dense" and meaty looking.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 6/29/2019

I happened to catch this clip of the bees "doing their thing" during the day.....they SEEM to be happy enough at least....  :)

Steven in Colorado


Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 6/21/2019

Summer, 2019 passed into history at 10:54 AM this morning.

From here on out, it gets darker......

Sad face.

Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 6/14/2019

Not really important enough to actually merit a picture, but I'd taken out the door lock late last year to test something.  I never put it back, just stuff insulation into the hole to stave off the colder weather.

I finally got tired of it lying around while puttering around my chandelier, so I put it back on.

So mote it be!

Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 6/10/2019

Tanglewood is exploding with hummingbirds and bees; now we can add a healthy crop of turkeys to our list of passersby.  We count roughly's difficult to be certain since they hide and dart around...but we think it's the combination of two clutches (the two larger hens in the center).

I suspect they will be coming by a will be interesting to see how many are lost to predators.....

Steven in Colorado


Baby turkeys!

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 6/7/2019

One thing I may have mentioned in my very early posts is how Colleen and I really wanted to keep a honeybee hive up there at Tanglewood.  We actually tried it once but it did not take; we're pretty sure the poor bees were beaten up severely getting up our road and then we didn't do anything at all to protect them, so they were probably at the mercy of the ants once they discovered them while they were still weak.

Time passed.  The old hives were given away.

And then Colleen wanted to get bees again!  I was fine with that, so she ordered them way back in December, 2018.  They were supposed to arrive in early May of this year (2019).

We immediately had as many bouts of snow in a month as we'd had in the prior three!  So the shipping was delayed (since they would arrive in cold weather)....and then it got delayed again.....and then it got delayed again.....

BUT NOW THEY ARE HERE.  Tanglewood now has an official beehive, in as safe a spot as we could put it (out on the deck).  Colleen and a friend helped to put together a great video of the "unboxing" ceremony and it looks like it worked pretty well.  There are roughly 30,000 bees in a "nuc" (short for nucleus) in this shipment; bees are apportioned by weight  (since they certainly can't count the buggers).  A few were lose in shipment of course and I'm sure a few died en route, but as you can see from the video there are a heck of a lot of them. 


Steve in Colorado


Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 5/25/2019

My mother finally got me to clean up the (misguided) attempted to keep plants over the prior winter by burying them in straw.  Not only did that not work, but it cleaning all of the straw out to prep her plants for this year's fun made a gigantic mess.  Straw everywhere!  Somehow the pile of straw I ended up with was roughly three times the size of the mass I put in there last winter.....not quite sure how that happened, but I assume it either involved swelling due to water and/or invading straw monsters attempting to hide among the pile.

While cleaning out this sodden mess I ran across some very oddball mushrooms, the type I had not seen before.  Given their pale structure and dark blue/black heads I'm pretty sure they would not be good to eat, so after I took some pics I pulled them out and tossed them down the hill with all of the other mass of straw and associated weeds I took out at the same time.

Lots to do, lots to do....!

Steven in Colorado


More weird.....
PRETTY sure I shouldn't eat these....

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 5/17/2019

A couple of shots here of the chandelier being lifted a little bit to test the weight.  It's only about three inches off the ground, which ought to be more than enough to test the weight of the mount while still allowing the chandelier to not be damaged should it crash to the floor.

You can see the windlass style winch I got over at Harbor Freight for this job.....I think it should work okay.  Not entirely happy with the way I've got the windlass mounted up there but it is solid, which is the most important thing.

Progress, slowly but surely.....

Steven in Colorado


The mount WAY UP THERE.....
The chandelier a couple of inches off the floor....

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 5/17/2019

Okay, basically since I'm taking this incredibly, ridiculously, ponderously slowly I decided to hoist up the chandelier again to test its weight with all of the onyx light shades/covers.  I want to get the most up-to-date data before I execute my plan.

The chandelier and all of its fiddly bits comes in right at 147.5 pounds.

Okay, that's good.  Now I need to look for proper lag bolts that can handle the chandelier's load.

So here's my plan as of now:  I intend to drill out the two screw holes that had held the Arlington and the old ceiling fan so I  have two holes completely through the rafter.  I then intend to put long lag bolts--threaded completely--through the rafter, put the Arlington over those, and hang the chandelier's mount (which Dan so cleverly built) on that.  Nuts and appropriately sized washers will be liberally used throughout.

I'll need to find some longer lag bolts...the ones I had were only 12" long and that's not nearly long enough.  I expect I'll need a couple of feet.  And of course they need to be heavy enough to bear the weight.

SO....the hunt is on......this will take time, but I WILL NOT put this puppy up there until there is zero rational chance for it to fall...….

I also still need to figure out exactly how I'll  hoist it.....gonna look at a hand-cranked hoist, that should work I think...….hmmm...…...

Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 4/16/2019 1:57:51 AM

Well it certainly took a much longer time than I'd thought it would, but I finally got the Arlington FB-900 down and got a good gander what's up there.  Found some good news too.

I got the screws out holding the Arlington into place and figured at that point it would be easy to drop it down.  Turned out to be a lot harder than I'd expected--it was definitely loose but I couldn't easily pull it down.  I tried for a solid hour, pushing and pulling it, double checking there weren't any other fasteners holding it up, comparing it against the one I'd bought on Amazon.

After a good lunch and a couple of other minor chores, I decided there was nothing at all "extra" holding it up....I just had to pull more harder.  So I got a pair of vice grips, gave it a good yank--and that worked!  Out came the Arlington!

And as suspected there wasn't anything holding it up at all, it was just pretty tight.

Once I got it down I dumped out the debris inside it (lots of mouse droppings, dead moths, etc.) and set it down next to the new one (picture below).  They were identical which was more or less as expected, but I had concerns that a newer model might be different.  At least they weren't.

Looking up into the hole I made a pleasant surprise.  The builders put a 2x6 across the rafters rather than the 2x4 that the instructions actually called for--this is good as it's heavier duty and less likely to have any issues.  I was duly impressed.

A minor minus however--I'd already bought lag bolts (in the picture below the Arlingtons) for 6" holes, since I thought that would be long enough to get thru the stud and anchor the chandelier from the top.  Since the cross-beam is a 2x6 I'll need to go get some longer lag bolts (8")….so it's Home Depot for me tomorrow!

Still it's all good.  I'd much rather do it right and if that takes more time, so be it!

Steven in Colorado


The new Arlington is on the left, the old one on the right. The lag bolt (too short now) is below.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 4/13/2019

Okay, it's taken a bit of time to figure out what I'm going to do but I've got a plan now.  Major pieces of the plan are in place, and the rest are more or less spread around the Great Room floor.

Folks might remember that a month ago we nearly had a disaster with getting the chandelier mounted properly.  Since then I've been able to re-examine the whole setup and what I really needed to mount things properly, and so now we've got a plan.

The first was the need for a true steel mount.  The old mount (the ball) worked fine enough but couldn't handle a truly heavy load, and wasn't really designed for that anyway.  Looking around I found a lot of various types of steel and solid mounts that would attach flush to the ceiling, needing only a small flat cover to tidy it all up.  Since I have a vaulted ceiling the Arlington FB-900 was more appropriate to the ceiling and so the canopy I'd purchased would be used instead.  Once the chandelier is up there it'll actually have a lot of "empty room" inside that cover, but that's all'll be a good 14 feet up anyway.

A friend of ours volunteered to build a heavy gauge steel mount and it came out perfectly.  There was a slight need to make an adjustment to accommodate the sloping canopy shell but that was pretty minor.  It looks fantastic and is now undergoing repainting to get it ready for deployment.

With the mount being built the other issues was the Arlington mount itself.  The Arlington FB-900 is carefully built to allow for very long (three inch) screws into a cross-beam stud installed in the rafters; this beam is nailed into the rafters and then the Arlington itself is held up with two small screws and those two long screws.  It's then sealed with caulk to make it all pretty.

My issue wasn't with the Arlington itself but with the nature of how it's mounted.  Those two long screws are just wood screws, biting deeply into the cross-beam 2x4.  I know from personal experience that I myself have taken down those screws and put them back up at least three times as I write this, and very possibly four.  Quite simply, with all of the installation and removal of those screws I frankly I wasn't sure how well they would take the weight any more--screws do work loose over time, and having had them removed/installed several times made me uneasy.  Would the screws actually hold reliably a fourth time?

Quite frankly, I didn't trust it any more.  I needed to be sure that my 131-pound chandelier wouldn't come crashing down at 0300 in the morning when this screws pulled out.

So.....after some though I've come up with A Plan.  I have decided that what I'll do is to actually remove the Arlington, giving me a good 8-inch square hole thru which I can work.  After ensuring the cross-beam is solid, I'll go ahead and drill out the two holes which are already 3" in on the 2x4 (which means there's about a half inch left).  Then I will install heavy duty lag bolts, with double nuts and lock washers thru the holes, thus allowing the weight-bearing bolts to be sitting on the cross-bream rather than simply screwed into it.  This makes gravity work for me in this case rather than against me, and I think it will be vastly more secure as a result.  Once those bolts are in I'll reinstall the Arlington and caulk it all up cleanly, then attach up the newly-built mount with more lock washers and double nuts.  

THAT oughta hold that sucker.  IF it ever comes down it'll be because the roof came down too, so I'll have more bigger issues anyway....

Below are two pics, one with the (somewhat mangled) ball mount that Was Not Good and the other that is the big heavy gauge steel mount that probably could hold a car if we could get it in there.  

Next up I've got to get the holes drilled and the mount installed, then there will be another Weight Test.  Fingers and miscellaneous appendages crossed....

Steven in Colorado


This is a picture of the older ball mount. It held up well enough, but not good enough for the chandelier.
This is the new 1/4" steel mount. This sucker is heavy!

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 3/23/2019

Well now, this was an unexpected development.....

As I'd noted earlier I had decided to do another weight test with less "stuff" on the chandelier (I decided the shades made it too yellow).  So today with Colleen and Dan up here I decided it was time to get this puppy Up There!

I had bought a small winch to help lift it gradually up to the ceiling and was busy putting all of the hardware together when Colleen suggested we use their vehicle winch to pull it up instead (with all of the appropriate offsets and pulleys and such).  I figured that was a good idea in general and wanted let her be a part of the fun, so I readily accepted.  We got everything all hooked up, drew tension onto the line in preparation to starting to pull the chandelier up.....

….and danged if the entire ball and socket mount didn't come right down!

This rather surprised us, so we figured we'd just not set the "ball" in the ball mount properly (here's one for reference).  There's a gap one side that allows you to lift the ball up over the edge of the "saddle", then set it back down so it's firm and solid in the mount.  So we put it all back up, cleared all of our lanes for pulling on things, began putting tension on the line again.....

….and danged if the entire ball and socket mount didn't come right down!

Well okay...what the heck is going on?

It took us a bit but we figured it out.  I'd used this ball and socket mount because that's what they used for the ceiling fan.  They're done that way so that the ball allows the fan to "wiggle" a bit with as the blades from the fan are whirling around.

However, that type of mount is NOT A GOOD IDEA if you just have a big heavy chandelier like, for example, one made of elk antlers.  The mount holding the ball had spread with the couple of weight tests I'd done and very likely would have fallen thru the mount at some point (probably at 2:00 AM in the morning), sending the chandelier to a probably fatal fall.....


SO.  We're regrouping.  The only reason I put the larger canopy up there in the first place was the ball and socket mount, and that was only there because the construction crew put in a ceiling fan as a temporary measure until we had the chandelier up.  Looking at it that isn't really what is needed though.  What we really need is just a solid cross mount (metal) that can support ~200 pounds, attached to the deep screw mounts that are with the Arlington FB-900 that we have up there.

With that in place I'll get another canopy of some kind to clean it all up and make it purty.

So....I'm glad we found this now!  We'll end up with a better and more solid installation anyway, and (hopefully) will avoid disastrous problems down the road.

That's life at Tanglewood!  BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 3/14/2019 8:06:12 PM

So with the hardware complete I figured it was time to look at getting the chandelier up...BUT I wanted to make one more weight test.

It was pretty easy to put together at least, since I'd done it just a bit ago.

The current weight test is coming in at 132 pounds (without those shades).

Now we wait while I suss out how to hoist it up there!

Steven in Colorado


A nice 132.4 pounds.....

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 3/10/2019

After getting everything all  properly painted I wanted to actually put the hardware together so I could move on to ponder how to get the chandelier actually hung.  Today I finally got that done.

It was of course trickier than I'd expected.  There was no trouble at all in getting the canopy on and around the chandelier hook-and-ball itself, but it turned out that the screws that came with the canopy just wouldn't fit.  To be precise, the screws that tie up into the hanger and hold the canopy "up" and attached simply weren't long enough.  Grrr...

That little problem of course took hours.  I have approximately nine billion screws in various buckets in the garage (that's just a rough estimate), but finding the right one--color, thread, and length--took a lot of trial and error.  The most annoying part was when I would find only one candidate....I knew there had to be a second one in there somewhere, but finding that special second one always proved to be a bit elusive.

However, with much trial and error, I was finally successful!  Huzzah!

So now the hardware is complete.  I think I want to do one more weight test next though--I want to be very careful here, as one would expect.  On the plus side I decided not to use the covers for the bulbs, so that right there will reduce the overall needed weight by a good 20 pounds.  I'll get that rigged in the next couple of days.

Slow but sure, there's progress!

Steven in Colorado


Everything is nice and tidy Way Up There....

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 3/9/2019 1:35:59 AM

I got a little bit done on the chandelier, mostly due to conflict between available time and snagging the wrong parts.

Last weekend I carefully set out the various bits of hardware that I'd decided to spray paint to match the canopy and such.  I let things dry for a couple of day--there didn't seem to be any hurry and I wasn't going to try to put anything up until I had a weekend again--but when I checked how things were looking I realized I'd very, very carefully painted the wrong eyehook.  I had bought a shorter one originally and then discovered that I needed a longer one to make everything work properly with the eyehook.  Naturally I'd managed to recolor the wrong one.  Sigh.

Fortunately this was an easy problem to correct, and the parts are doing what I hope is their final dry-in as I write this!

So once all the hardware is done I'll get all of the hardware assembled and installed up there, probably tomorrow (Saturday).  Once that is done, we'll be down to the fun part....hanging the chandelier itself!  Some challenges there I haven't quite figured out yet, but I'll work on it.  I very much want this to be right, as one might expect.

In other news we had a bit of a winter storm over the last weekend with 4.5" inches of global warming gracing the outdoors. Combined with some very low temperatures, the trees became these frosted, gorgeous sentinels lining the was remarkable.  I was able to take a few pictures with my cell phone and thought folks might enjoy them.

I've also been slowly re-staining some of the old furniture I had inherited from Colleen's grandmother.  I have pretty much decided that the object of my attention at present is fine little cabinet/drawer thing that I simply don't have a need for, so once it's all stained I plan to donate it to the local ARC.  I think it'll be a good little dresser for a child.

I've given Colleen some measures for some of the more "odd-ball" windows around Tanglewood that I wasn't able to find any curtains in such odd-ball sizes.  I also given her an existing 64" curtain that she will be cutting up and turning into properly sized curtains for the odd-ball windows.  Looking forward to what she comes up with!

And that's about it since my last post.....there are some slight signs of spring here and there, so soon it will be summer again!

Steven in Colorado


Great shot of the road heading up the canyon.
I liked this shot where you can see the road far in the distance.
A line of frozen trees with Black Mountain (one of many such in Colorado, as it happens) in the background.
Looking out across the creek bed area to the ridge to the other side of Tanglewood's boundaries.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 2/24/2019

Well now, when we got up this morning and started Doing Stuff we quickly found a whole bunch of odd tracks wandering all around Tanglewood.  After some examination I decided that they are definitely from a cat--and since it's unlikely there's a housecat running around I assume it's a bobcat.

He clearly came down from the hill behind the house, then followed the side of the house and stayed out of the snow as much as possible.  He was apparently fascinated by the light fixture outside the patio door and (I think) thought about jumping up there before deciding he couldn't actually get on top of it.  After he visited he headed off towards the creek past the propane tanks.

Neat! Some pics below.

In other news I've made (slow) progress with the chandelier.  I finally received a canopy for the chandelier fixture.  There was one before but it went with the old ceiling fan, but fortunately after a bit of looking around I found one that should work well.  I also had to get another eyehook to hang it all from, and after a little bit of testing and experimentation I'll have the necessary parts all put together.  After that I'll need to spray point the hardware (everything up there is oil-rubbed bronze) but that won't take too long.  I'm getting close to actually putting this puppy up, definitely.

Another awesome weekend in Colorado!

Steven in Colorado


You can clearly see the cat print towards the upper left.
A close up picture, though not as good IMO as some of the others.
Very clean print here.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 2/11/2019 2:34:42 AM

Well now, I'd hoped Solar LeRoy could come up to take a gander to Tanglewood's solar woes yesterday and danged if he didn't ping me first thing this morning to come up to do just that!  We spent a quality day looking at what the heck is going on...turned up some interesting things.  It took several hours to suss out what was going on and get all three controllers back up and running.  

As I had noted, charge controller #1 was totally "frozen" inputs at all worked no matter what we did.  Solar LeRoy shut down the system, rebooted that particular box several times, but nothing worked.  He finally swapped it out with a spare he happened to have (part of his system which had been down since last summer) and took the original back down to his house to contact Outback about what the heck it might be doing.

Once we got the replacement installed we were partially working properly, but things still weren't right.  The breakers didn't seem to be connected properly, and we'd get different inputs on what was "active" based on what breakers were thrown.  When left "normally" controllers #1 and #3 were pumping amps, but #2 was only showing voltage--no amperage at all.  In addition #1 was still going "high" on the amperage, hovering around 70A which is MUCH MORE than those units should be getting from good sunlight.

Solar LeRoy's first thought was that something was wrong down in the breaker box, but he took off the lid and there was nothing obvious.  We then checked all of the circuit interconnects along the backs of the panels as it seemed as if swaths of the panels weren't putting power on their circuits at all (the ones tied to controller #2)…..everything was tight and nicely connected.  We DID take the opportunity to clean up some of the cables that had lost their zip ties due to weather and the like however, which is positive.

Our next thought was that perhaps the line driving controller #2 had  a break in it, and we did some investigation along the run from the shed down to the panel breaker box.  That required a bit of digging up of some of the line to make sure there wasn't another box somewhere in the line we didn't remember (there wasn't). The most annoying part was that we discovered (rediscovered) that he'd apparently used a differently colored wire on the leg heading out of the shed, so we had trouble finding the precise connection.  Lots of amp testing and breakers on/off however eventually convinced us there were no problems.

So with that in mind, we took a break to get some more tools and then resumed testing, looking at the outside breaker box again--and THAT's where Solar LeRoy found the problem.  Two different wires inside the breaker box had shorted, one against the cover housing and the other along the left-hand side of the box.  BOTH were bad but the second was far and away the was difficult to see because it was partially behind the "edge" of the box.  Once we got a look at it however it was very obvious--that particular wire was bundling the panels for controller #1, had partially pulled away from the connector along the top, and it in turn was touching the bundler wire for controller #2.  Controller was getting the amperage for BOTH strings of panels (24 panels in all), thus overloading controller #1 (causing the breaker to pop) and showing very erratic amperage on the daisy-chain of panels for controller #2.

Once he figured it out it was relatively easy to fix.  We killed power to both controllers #1 and #2, stripped out the bad wire (which fortunately he'd left long), and tied everything back in properly.  When everything was turned back on, all three controller were humming along and doing their job properly!


So at this point, Solar LeRoy is taking the bad/frozen controller back down to find out what Outback wants to do.  We still have a problem with one of the legs from the 240V generator only putting power on ONE leg....the circuits for the inverter/charger are different than the charge that still needs to be looked at, probably after finds some details about the bad controller.

But we're making progress, and that's pretty danged glorious!  :)

Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 2/9/2019 10:25:48 PM

Things move slowly during the winter months, which is just the way it is.  I have tried to keep busy, though nothing seemed worthy of a post all by itself.  I thought maybe today I might catch up a few items:
  • The most annoying thing is probably that one of my three charge controllers seems dead, while another seems to be malfunctioning.  Charge Controller #2 shows it's getting current but not a thing is going into the batteries as amperage according to the monitoring tool.  And then just for fun, Charge Controller #1 seems to be completely "frozen"--it doesn't respond to button presses or resets at all.  To add icing onto the cake it does actually do its thing, but apparently it has lost its internal upper amperage limit--it hits the 80A limitation on the hardware and trips the breaker.  Happens most sunny days ~10:00 AM....danged annoying.  

  • This means right now I'm running Tanglewood on one good and one semi-good charge controller.  

    Yes, Solar LeRoy has been summoned!  More soon I hope.

  •  I finally started sorting and evaluating all of the furniture I inherited from Colleen's grandmother (she passed away just under two  years ago).  First up was an older dresser, rather smaller than I would like for just about anything.  I had considered simply donating to the local ARC but there was simply no way I was going to wish it on anybody while it was still that hideous lime-green shade that for some reason was popular in the 1970s.  It's received two coats of the Special Walnut shade I used on the door and now that I have some more rollers I'll work on trying to finish it more properly.  After THAT it may still be donated rather than find a place here at Tanglewood, but at least it won't be lime-green!  *shudder*

  •  Work on the chandelier has been proceeding.  I took down all of the weights that I left up there as a test after a couple of weeks and proceeded to thread the eye-hook through the fan mount that will hold everything.  And that's when I ran into a turned out the eye-hook I had wasn't quite long enough to pass through the downrod.  Well dang it.....

    I fetched a slightly longer one this afternoon while running around and hopefully will finish what I started tomorrow.   Assuming I have all of the weight-supporting hardware in place, I can then test how big a housing I need to cover everything up to make it pretty (of course the housing/base that was with the original ceiling fan went with it when I gave it away).  

  •  Since the weather was decidedly unpleasant and the stain I'd applied to the afore-mentioned dresser was in the process of drying I decided to get some more curtains up.  I'd been wanting to get proper curtains along the upper hallway for a while--both they and the curtain rods had been mocking me every time I walked by them--so I gave in and took a couple of hours to put everything up.  Now that there are curtains I can finish hanging up pictures along that hallway as well, which is a plus.

That's more or less what I've been doing over the last couple of weeks, that and sussing out that there was in fact a problem with some of the solar equipment anyway.  But it's all progress, and it's all goodly!

Steven in Colorado


Snapshot from one end of the hallway....
...and then again from the other end. I guess in retrospect I probably should have turned those lights on....

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 1/26/2019 8:49:51 PM

And now the Great Experiment begins!

The mount the crew installed Way Back when Tanglewood was being constructed was supposedly sized for a 200 pound dead weight (such as an elk antler chandelier). Now that I've got the ceiling fan down and packed away, the time has come to weight test this puppy. After all, I don't want it to come crashing down, especially if it was to fall ON somebody....that would kill'em lots.

I weighed the chandelier (took a bit of effort) a few weeks back  at 151.1 pounds. As you can see from the reading below, I've got 177.4 pounds of "stuff" hanging from a hook up to that mount as of this afternoon.

So now...we wait. I'll give it a good week or so to see if it suddenly gives way or anything untoward. That would be VASTLY annoying, but better to test it and have it fail this way than to have the whole chandelier come crashing down.

Fingers and appropriate appendages crossed.....

Steven in Colorado


The test weights (I just found a lot of heavier stuff to pile on) are hopefully stable.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 12/21/2018 9:03:41 PM

The solstice passed on 12/21/18 this very afternoon at about 3:22 PM Mountain Time.

Now, every day, it starts getting a little bit brighter.


Steven in Colorado

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 12/16/2018 10:32:29 PM

I was taking the ceiling fan down a few days ago when I realized that I need a bit of stability when I'm standing Way Up There.  The scaffolding kit has a fine set of railings for working up on top of everything, so I decided to take the day to add that for safety's sake.

It took a lot longer than I thought it would....several hours....but I finally got it all done.

It'll be a lot harder to fall off now.  It's not really impossible per se, but I'd really have to work at it at this point.

Next up, adding the test weights (yeah, still haven't done that yet)!

Steven in Colorado


It was all remarkably heavy but I got it up there...

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 12/6/2018

Sadly I didn't get to see him, but I saw the tracks he left in the snow last night.

When I got back home I thought I saw some kind of disturbance near the porch, so I wandered over to take a look.  A bobcat apparently wandered by at some point overnight.  As near as I can tell he didn't do anything so i assume he was just scouting and looking for something tasty (perhaps those turkeys from the other day).

Love living up here!

Steven in Colorado


Close up of a pawprint...
...and a pair of them

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 12/2/2018

Well, I had to go track down a game scale (used to weigh deer and such that you take in a hunt), but I was finally able to track one down to test out the chandelier's weight.  

After that it took me about an hour to figure out how to get the thing up  "into the air" so I could take a weight measurement, but eventually I did.

That sucker is 132 pounds by itself with the seven foot chain.  With the rock light fixtures (shades) it's 151.1 pounds in total.

So now I know what to test again to make sure it's installed as designed...that's next....

Steven in Colorado


Took a bit to get a proper snapshot but I got it eventually!

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 11/25/2018

After being amazingly absent on Thanksgiving the two remaining turkeys (all the others have wandered off to find their own mates, or to be eaten by something) showed up again today.  

After checking out the area near the leach field they wandered up for some corn.  They ate a lot....

Steven in Colorado


The two of them were very casual, I'd say.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 11/24/2018

Well, I had a thought that I might get up into the attic so I could double check that the installation is right and proper, but it turns out that's a lot harder than I'd thought it would be.

Venturing into the attic I took a look at the crawl space and the how tight it would be.  It's not impossible to get in there, for sure, but it sure wouldn't be easy.

I think instead I'll test the worthiness of the Arlington FB-900 in another way.  IF it was properly installed (yes I've learned to check these things) it should easily be able to carry a 150 pound load (the weight of the chandelier and the chain and the light fixtures.  I'll have to give it some thought, but I reckon I can rig something to test it with.  

I'm going to go very slowly with this....I don't want to have that chandelier come crashing down on anybody!

Steven in Colorado


Looking down the left hand side of the crawl space. Note all of the very difficult to navigate around metal joint plates.....
...and here's the right hand side of the crawl space. I can SEE the electrical where it runs down into the living space, but it would be pretty hard to get there from here.

Comments (0)
Private Message

Posted to Tanglewood by Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 11/22/2018

So I finally got a couple of days to focus on getting some work done (Thanksgiving) and so elected to taking down the ceiling fan itself.  I'd done a little bit of work the other day when I removed the light and discovered the tiny little bulbs that made the Great Room so dim.  

It all turned out to be a bit simpler than I actually thought it would be.  With the scaffold up to two lifts (about 12') then I could access the fan itself.  The first step was to take off the blades, which were affixed wit three screws per arm.  Once I got that down, I had to take a look at the ceiling fan box itself.

From way "down there" I had assumed the box was wood, basically a wooden block cut to fix the arch of the ceiling and a hole bored through the block for fan itself.  Once I was able to take a closer look I found that it was instead a heavy plastic, which surprised me rather a bit. Setting aside exactly what brand it was I removed the housing cover at the top to reveal the mechanism with the ceiling fan hanger (the standard ball fitting) and several wires connected with wire nuts.  I disconnected each (after double checking once more that the breaker to it was turned off) and then...simply lifted and lowered the whole fan assembly and downrod in one big piece.  Simpler than I would have thought.

While taking a lunch break I did some research on exactly what the ceiling fan box was.  Turned out that this is a much "heavier" assembly than your standard box--it's an Arlington FB-900.  These are rated to hold 200 pounds, which as it turns out Colleen had specifically asked for back when Tanglewood was being built.  It's basically exactly what they needed to handle the heavier weight of that chandelier--smart thinking indeed!

With food out of the way I was able to finish up pretty quickly.  There was some work disassembling the fan box and storing all the parts away properly, and of course I made sure to dust everything nicely as I packed them away (I had kept the original box the fan came in years ago).   

So it took a bit but most of my time (fortunately) wasn't spent Way Up High on the scaffold.  Next I need to do some research on the ceiling fan box and think about how I will hang the light; the wiring won't be a problem but I'm unsure about exactly how to fit it.  possibly I'll be able to use a ball system and hang the chandelier directly from that; I'll have to do some research. 

Getting there!

Steven in Colorado


The fan before deconstruction from Way Down There....
....and a closeup of the fan.
The fan with the light assembly removed.
The connections with the housing removed and the wiring moved apart so it's easy to see. There's a rectangular box on the left hand side that is the wireless receiver for the remote.
The fan assembly removed and set down safely to the floor.
The fan box with all the bits removed.
A closeup of the fan box (the Arlington FB-900).

Comments (0)
Private Message

Newest << >> Oldest

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.