Back when I put together my Tanglewood Summer 2013 plans I tried to keep things simple. At that time (June 1st) I really thought about what I hadn't been able to get done the prior summer and pared down my list of chores to only three things. I genuinely thought that I'd either complete the Shed early and then be able to focus on the other two projects, or that I might find myself hankering to knock those two out first and quickly and then focus on the Shed.
Sadly, it didn't work out that way. Once again I didn't reckon on How Long Things Take:
Finish and transition to the new
shed – The single longest ongoing project I've ever faced, I think, this consumed nearly all of my free time this summer. I made tremendous progress from where I was in June (at that time I had only just finished pouring the walls and setting the roof anchors), completing the trusses, putting on the roof, drywalling the interior, pouring a floor, sealing up the the attic gables and papering them up with roofing felt. While all this was going on I moved around the generator pad and changed its design then added additional drainage for the entire structure (inspired by the huge rainstorms we had back in September).
Did I focus on this as much as I should have? Sitting back I'm hard pressed to see how I could have done more. There were some days I didn't get out there as early as I could have, and there were other days where I'd had enough small accidents that I decided that to continue was just courting trouble (electing to jump off a ladder from 10 feet up is better than falling, but only by way of comparison). There were other days I got a ton of things done and was sure that the project would get knocked out in just a couple of weeks, to the point that I had to schedule, and then re-schedule, and finally just cancel completely Solar LeRoy's move of everything when it became dead obvious it wasn't going to get done yet.
Of course that huge flood in September didn't help, and I definitely lost time because of that and then afterwards in cleaning up some of the mess. I'm still doing some road repair as a result as well, snagging gravel after work when I can get to the gravel yard before they close.
So I did a lot but I didn't get it done. Grade: B.
Widen the driveway – Did absolutely, positively nothing on this. Did bring down a bit more infill dirt for this project when I dug out the generator pad, which is something... but not much.
exterior drain pipes – Really didn't work on this at all, though I did survey what I had and where I wanted to run the pipe. I even went so far as to mark the runs and roll out the length of socked perforated drainpipe I still had left over from construction--though a couple of weeks later I stole that when I decided to upgrade the drainage around the new Shed.
All in all I'm a bit frustrated with how much I got done while seemingly so little. The Shed simply consumed all of my time as I felt I had to work on it while the weather was good. As a result everything else just fell to the wayside. The good news is that the Shed's roof and my efforts to get doors on it should help make working on it during the nicer winter days a bit more palatable. But it's so close--so it will definitely be the first task for the Tanglewood Winter, 2013 Projects List!
I'll mull for a couple of days and then decide what that list will be.
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply