Building on what I did last week (and with the help of the lovely Colleen), rather than working on the Shed proper today I elected to spend the afternoon cleaning up the build site.
There was a lot of trash lying around the site, most of it waterlogged (and hence useless) OSB (oriented strand board). I confess I really don't understand OSB--the stuff is said to be as strong as plywood but expose it to water at all and *BAM*--it swells and warps and loses its strength pretty much completely. When I was researched what to use on the Shed's roof I almost instantly ran across that little gem and that was enough to sell me on "real plywood" instead. Yes it costs more, but quite frankly it seems worth it to me, since any accident of a leak won't instantly destroy the roof!
So anyway, all of this OSB (together with bits of trash wood I'd cut during construction) was lying around the site. I'd wanted to haul it away to the burn location but hadn't felt I could really spare the time, but with Colleen's help I knew it would go rather more quickly. There were quite a lot of these huge 4x8 sheets lying around and it took quite a bit of effort to get them all moved, but after a couple of hours the burn pile was larger and the build site considerably more tidy.
Once that was done we worked on the insulation for the Shed. We realized that we'd have to get the bulk of this insulation in before the Shed's eaves were boarded in since once that was done there likely wouldn't be enough room via the access hatch. I'd decided that I'd make as much use as possible of something else left over from Tanglewood's construction, the various slabs of LiteDeck that had been used for the first floor ceiling. This stuff has some excellent R-value ratings (R-30) and being basically big sheets of Styrofoam was relatively easy to put up there. I don't have enough to completely insulate the attic--I'll reckon I'll continue the trend and just go buy some more of the blue Styrofoam insulation I used for under the Shed floor--but it was good to get something else cluttering up the garage properly used.
So that's how the day went, basically. We got the area picked up (it needed it) and got some of the Shed's insulation at least in the right general location. I still have gable work to do and I estimate I have another couple of loads of pea gravel for the new generator pad, but Progress Was Made.
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|Not really a great shot, but you can kinda see what the LiteDeck looks like in its new home at least.|