Today I'm proud to say that I moved the very last of the concrete up to the shed in anticipation of pouring the generator pad sometime this weekend!
The online tools over at quikrete.com
estimate that I'll need 14 bags of concrete for the generator pad, so I picked up 15 over the last few days. It's been stacked in the garage pending this weekend, when I moved it up to the site in preparation for the pour. Gotta say it feels pretty darn good to know that I don't have to haul any more concrete up there
Of course as heavy as all that was it was pretty much the easiest part of the whole thing. I still had to get the site itself ready for the generator pad, and that meant more of the fun excavation work I'd gotten so good at when digging out the shed footer last summer
. I have one thing working for me though in that I don't need to dig down so everything is flat as I did with the shed--I can more "level" an area and then put up batter boards so it's ready for the pour. That means that while I will have to remove some buckets of gravel (9 so far today) I'll be able to just relocate the remainder to infill the squared off area. Of course I'll want to tamp it down well and then I'll be putting in some infill in there prior to the pour, but it's good to know I won't have as much to haul out (or in) as I did before!
I also figured out how I'm going to run the underslab drain for all this. The generator will be snugged up against the shed, but since it's on the uphill side it'll be vulnerable if there's a really huge rain event. Given this, I'm installing two sets of pipe to handle water coming down the hill--the first will run along the outside edge of the blocked out generator area above the retaining wall there, while the other will run under the back end of the slab itself against the shed wall. The primary should catch most of any water coming down the hill (it's a 4" pipe just like we used on Tanglewood's foundation drains
) while the underslab drain will handle anything that might seep past that under the slab proper. Both route to the side of the shed under the steps I'll be installing by the front door (so I don't have this weird sloped hill area outside the doors) and down towards the weather station area. It's important to try to keep the generator from getting any large water around it, so it'll be set up a bit higher than the area immediately around it. I imagine some water will still find its way to the pad but I don't think it'll be more than the generator currently sees where it's sitting now.
With all of that and moving supplies into place, I ran out of daylight. Tomorrow morning I'll be continuing the dig work getting the pad site ready; I had hopes this morning that I would be able to actually pour tomorrow, but it looks like that will have to wait until Sunday. Once the pad is poured, I'll go back to putting up drywall on the interior and plywood on the gable ends.
Making good progress...
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|The bags of concrete all stacked and ready to go. That bucket is ALSO a bag of concrete; one tore apart in the back of my Blazer...|