This took me a bit longer than I thought it would, but by the end of the day I've got the shed floor ready to pour concrete!
Having leveled the gravel infill last week my focus today was on getting the underslab insulation in and the radiant heat system ready to go. Of the two, the insulation was surprisingly the more difficult. My thought going into this was that I would use the insulation I'd had on top of the old shed (under a tarp) that helped ward off the summer heat together with a slab or two from inside the old shed walls, but it turned out that I hadn't thought that through. The stuff from the roof was easy enough to pull down and relocate, but when I took a real look at the old shed, I realized that there wasn't really any way for me to get at the insulation in the shed walls without moving a LOT of plywood siding and batteries and tools and computers and whatnot--the shed is basically full, and there's just no good way to get that stuff out of there.
Then I remembered the insulation under the old shed. When our first winter was closing in, I'd bought several sheets of rigid blue insulation to put both on top (got it) and underneath the shed between the support beams. That stuff was partially nailed in and partially glued in, but it wasn't too difficult to pull out enough sections to finish up the underslab work inside the new shed. One interesting moment was when I pulled out a slab of insulation from under the shed to find a black-and-tan salamander resting on it staring up at me... he wasn't the slightest bit amused that his hidey-hole had been disturbed! After a moment he dashed off the slab to the ground and vanished back under the old shed; it all happened so fast it actually took me a moment to process what had happened!
Once I had the insulation in place, I put down some support wire and began running the radiant heat tubing. I'm using the same 1/2" PEX tubing I'd used inside Tanglewood; in fact this was leftover tubing that I hadn't the heart to get rid of in the post-construction cleanup. I'd had to go get some new fittings earlier this week so I could close off the ends and test for leaks, but it all went quickly enough. Once in place, I pumped some air into the line to locate the inevitable leaks (all in the fitting threading, nothing in the line that I could see), and then pressurized it up to 60 psi for overnight.
With that done, I finished hauling the rest of the concrete to the site and got backup water supplies ready for tomorrow's pour. If the system pressure is still showing good tomorrow and nothing stops me--it'll be time to POUR!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|I was able to space the tubing about the same distance as I had in Tanglewood (9" loops), though I admit to allowing more wandering since this is a shed.|