With the great weather and my recent completion of the wall pours, I decided to take advantage of the weekend and get the sill plates for the new shed mounted. I had allocated two days for the effort; turned out to be somewhat faster than that.
Earlier this week I'd swung by Home Depot
to pick up the necessary lumber. Because the glass block window is set so high, I realized fairly early that I would need to double up on the sill plates... that is, have two layers in order to come up to the top of the window. (The alternative would have been to put the window one course lower, which would have put it virtually
at ground level and that didn't appeal much to me.) Turned out that Home Depot (for whatever reason) didn't actually have any treated lumber in the sizes I needed--all they had were some 6x6s for posts and such. So I swung by Lowe's
instead, where I really didn't have any trouble at all picking out what I needed.
That's when I ran into my first real problem--transporting the stuff back up to Tanglewood. My trusty Blazer is a goodly truck, but he's no Blackie
, and the lumber didn't want to all fit inside the vehicle. I had to strap the longer lengths to the top (which fortunately has a cargo rack) using several ratcheting tie-downs which I had thought to bring at the last minute. The strapping down of all the lumber took over a half hour to get done both because these particular pieces were very heavy and (naturally) it happened to be pretty danged windy while I was doing all this. I eventually got them into place and back up to Tanglewood.
So today I carted everything up to the shed and began to install. The hardest part was measuring properly to make sure I drilled the holes for the anchor bolts correctly, and I got the first one wrong (turned out I'd flipped the board when I went to drill). Once I got the first one done though, I had a pretty good rhythm established and the rest went relatively quickly... I was completely done after about four hours.
One board ended up being a bit of a problem once all was said and done. While I made sure to pick out the driest and straightest lumber I could, one piece had warped slightly at one end between the time I brought it up and the time I got it onto the shed. It's not terribly bad though, so what I've done for now is to pump a bunch of caulk adhesive into the gap and then clamp it down tightly with a large C-clamp. I'll leave it sit for a day or two before I go to check it; hopefully it will have straightened out a bit. The plates themselves are supposed to sit for a week or so to "settle" into position; I'll be checking them every couple of days to cinch down the anchor bolts a bit tighter as they do.
The next step is to get joist straps into place to mount the roofing rafters to, and to line up the joist lumber itself. As it happens, I have quite a bit of spare 2x4s from Tanglewood's construction, so I'm going to spend some quality time sorting through the pile to see if I can find what I'm looking for there. As long as the pieces are straight and strong they'll work; I'm not looking for lumberyard-pristine for the roofing rafters for the shed. I am planning on installing a solar powered vent
(pricey, but the existing shed isn't ventilated enough
and I will be using this as a trial run for Tanglewood's attic) once I start getting the roof on. I'll also need to put in backing and caulk into the gaps between the tops of the walls and the sill plates, as there's no way they're going to sit perfectly flat no matter what I do. After that, some old-fashioned radiant heat work again before I pour the floor.
Busy summer ahead... good to be a step closer, though!
Steven in Colorado
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
|Not a GREAT shot of the sill plates, but about as interesting as a boring picture of a couple of pieces of wood could get, I guess...||
|Second shot catching the corner. Was quite glad to get this done.|