With the Winter of 2012 seemingly never wanting to end (I love the snow but come on--where's my Spring?!?) I found myself with another day of decent, sunny weather but nearly impossible to actually work outside--the recent 9" of global warming we got a couple of days ago is now melting, rendering everything outside a muddy, snowy, slushy mess. So I looked over the Winter 2012 Projects list and decided it was time to work on hanging up stuff again.
My Construction Website
Login to Reply
The target of my attention this time was a very large cabinet that needed putting up in the garage--specifically the apartment garage area. This cabinet once was the top of a computer hutch that sadly didn't survive the move to Tanglewood. Ordinarily putting up a cabinet wouldn't be much of a problem, but in this case it was large (4'x4'), heavy (~150 pounds), with the whole endeavor complicated by a desire to mount it up fairly high from the floor (a good 4'). This height made it impossible for Colleen to reach when we tried to lift it up together, and the weight was too much for me to get it that high on my own. The awkward size combined with the higher placement and the problems I discovered recently when I put up my TV in the master bedroom meant that getting this cabinet into place was a bit of a puzzle.
I eventually solved the problem with a combination of heavy duty brackets mounted down into the concrete and a large ramp fashioned out of a long leftover porch railing section to slide the cabinet up. Execution after that was relatively simple. I fastened the railing section to the brackets so it couldn't slip, "walked" the cabinet over to the far end of the railing, and then began using a series of automotive jacks and jack stands to slowly lift it all up to the height of the brackets. This was far and away the longest part of the entire exercise, as I had to go slowly and carefully so the railing wouldn't tilt too far and the cabinet fall off. I ended up repositioning and raising jack stands and such several times throughout the effort as it got higher, but eventually I got the railing fairly level with the mounting brackets. At that point the job got fairly easy--I slid the cabinet along the rail to the mounts, made sure it was centered properly on the brackets, fastened the cabinet to the wall (so it wouldn't tilt) and then to the mounts (so it wouldn't move). When all was said and done, I took down all of the ramps and jack stands and such--and the cabinet was installed!
Assuming it doesn't fall down overnight, we'll put other things back in the garage tomorrow and I'll move on to the next chore. If it does fall down, of course, I have a bonfire planned where it will be the guest of honor--getting it up there was ultimately way harder than it should have been! ;)
So there we go--another chore knocked off of the list and a little bit less disorganization in the garage. All in all, a fine day.
Steven in Colorado